Worth the upgrade right now?

• 42 Replies

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2020, 04:49:48 PM »
Facts are facts.  The gameplay difference between the two are immeasurable.  Sure the game still looks decent and plays fairly decent on a standard ps4 but that console is 7 years old now.   It just doesnt perform as well as a modern pc or as well as the next gen consoles will. PROVIDED hb upgrades the gameplay and graphics options to what are available on pc now a next gen console will be an inexpensive way to get superior gameplay and graphics on 2k21 or any game for that matter.
     stick with the old If you dont want to spend the money on a new console but, everything I'm reading says those new consoles are a steal for the processors and graphics cards they come with.

I don't doubt you or JCauthen that the gameplay is better/smoother on a high end PC.  I could certainly afford to buy a new graphics card, and drop it in any one of the number of PC's that I have and have a semi-decent gaming PC (I already have an i5 based PC connected to a 4k TV in the family room as a home theater PC), but I just would be playing a solo round, and that does not interest me in the same way as playing against live humans.  Same goes for any of the new consoles.  The only people I know who play video golf (with the exception of you) own a PS4.  Something to be said about the social aspect of playing against a real live human that you know is not cheating.

You gotta admit, the game cannot be nearly as fun as when you had a golf nemesis!  :-)

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2020, 10:36:52 PM »
Facts are facts.  The gameplay difference between the two are immeasurable.  Sure the game still looks decent and plays fairly decent on a standard ps4 but that console is 7 years old now.   It just doesnt perform as well as a modern pc or as well as the next gen consoles will. PROVIDED hb upgrades the gameplay and graphics options to what are available on pc now a next gen console will be an inexpensive way to get superior gameplay and graphics on 2k21 or any game for that matter.
     stick with the old If you dont want to spend the money on a new console but, everything I'm reading says those new consoles are a steal for the processors and graphics cards they come with.

I don't doubt you or JCauthen that the gameplay is better/smoother on a high end PC.  I could certainly afford to buy a new graphics card, and drop it in any one of the number of PC's that I have and have a semi-decent gaming PC (I already have an i5 based PC connected to a 4k TV in the family room as a home theater PC), but I just would be playing a solo round, and that does not interest me in the same way as playing against live humans.  Same goes for any of the new consoles.  The only people I know who play video golf (with the exception of you) own a PS4.  Something to be said about the social aspect of playing against a real live human that you know is not cheating.

You gotta admit, the game cannot be nearly as fun as when you had a golf nemesis!  :-)

Yes, saturday morning coffee and a few rounds of tw 13,14 against the nemesis was king.  Long time ago now.  I do believe I saw that pga2k21 has course records amongst friends list.  I thought that would be a positive.
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2020, 06:51:47 AM »

Yes, saturday morning coffee and a few rounds of tw 13,14 against the nemesis was king.  Long time ago now.  I do believe I saw that pga2k21 has course records amongst friends list.  I thought that would be a positive.

Ahhhh....Saturday morning coffee, and some TGC were some good times as well.  The nervous feeling of teeing off on hole 17 or hole 18 with a one shot lead (or being down by 1 shot) knowing that the nemesis was breathing down your neck.  No margin for any errant shots, or the nemesis would capitalize and take the lead.

I have to admit...it was some really fun times.

Now that I am playing without a scout camera (but green grids on still)...and its that much more enticing.  This week is Masters week, so I think that we are playing our version of the Masters.  Four rounds of nerve wracking shots...shot after shot.  Can you imagine if we would have had the ability to do all of the things that Societies can do now, back in our Tiger Woods days?

Being able to play Society rounds, and have your nemesis post their rounds for you to go after even if work schedules do not align.  Then to be able to keep points/winnings, statistics all kept track of...its what dreams are made of (To quote a Van Halen song by our boy Sammy)

pozbaird

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »

Ahhhh....Saturday morning coffee, and some TGC were some good times as well.  The nervous feeling of teeing off on hole 17 or hole 18 with a one shot lead (or being down by 1 shot) knowing that the nemesis was breathing down your neck.  No margin for any errant shots, or the nemesis would capitalize and take the lead.

Now that I am playing without a scout camera (but green grids on still)...and its that much more enticing.  This week is Masters week, so I think that we are playing our version of the Masters.  Four rounds of nerve wracking shots...shot after shot.  Can you imagine if we would have had the ability to do all of the things that Societies can do now, back in our Tiger Woods days?

Being able to play Society rounds, and have your nemesis post their rounds for you to go after even if work schedules do not align.  Then to be able to keep points/winnings, statistics all kept track of...its what dreams are made of (To quote a Van Halen song by our boy Sammy)

Van Halen with Sammy is like AC/DC with Brian Johnson. It’s OK, but it isn’t Dave Lee Roth or Bon Scott.  8)

I digress. Please cut me some slack, I’m an old rocker.  :)
2K21 Courses:
Cherry Creek CC 2K21
Hogwarts Golf Club 2K21
Central Park GC 2K21
Sport City Las Vegas 2K21
Gofritt Golf Club 2K21
The 2112 Club

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2020, 07:45:48 AM »
Jeffield and I go way back, and are old rockers too.  Jeffield is a HUGE David Lee Roth fanboy, so I was just busting his chops with a Sammy reference.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with Dave or Sammy.  Some really great music put out by the band during both eras.  The one constant...Eddie.  May he rest in peace.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »

That's fantastic.  I never thought I'd see a day of you all playing no scout cam in the society.  It's a good group for a society and playing when you can is key.    HB's ideas for societies was good.
   Not sure about your VH comment. But, I can let it slide.
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

pozbaird

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2020, 11:23:11 AM »
Jeffield and I go way back, and are old rockers too.  Jeffield is a HUGE David Lee Roth fanboy, so I was just busting his chops with a Sammy reference.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with Dave or Sammy.  Some really great music put out by the band during both eras.  The one constant...Eddie.  May he rest in peace.

Agree, some good stuff from Hagar VH too. I saw Van Halen live in Glasgow in 1980 with Dave Lee Roth, and saw AC/DC four times in the 1970s with Bon Scott, so naturally, they are my favourites... annnywayyy... back to golf games!  8)
2K21 Courses:
Cherry Creek CC 2K21
Hogwarts Golf Club 2K21
Central Park GC 2K21
Sport City Las Vegas 2K21
Gofritt Golf Club 2K21
The 2112 Club

HockeyNick30

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2020, 10:17:04 AM »
If you're planning to buy the game for a PC that would be capable of running the game at ~60 FPS at 2160p, it's definitely worth the upgrade.  I own the game for both my XBox One X and gaming PC.  Honestly, the game feels like I'm swinging the club under water on the XBox One X, due to the sluggishness of the 30 FPS to which it's locked.  It's a radically different (and better) playing game on my PC, where I routinely see 52 to 64 FPS @ 2160p (4K).  The ~60 FPS allows me to feel where I'm at in the swing much better, and the critical, tempo management aspect of 2K21 is a lot more doable.

I *might* be able to do a little better on the XBox One X version, if it was the only version I played.  I know it's impossible to go back and forth between the two versions where I'm at 30 FPS in one and 60 FPS in the other.  I find it very difficult to reacclimate my senses, particularly when going from 60 FPS to 30 FPS than vice versa.

I have more gaming friends on the XBox One X, so I'd rather play the game on that platform, but this past weekend I finally reached my boiling point and have decided to go exclusively PC, unless something is done to remove the 30 FPS lock for the XBox Series X version.  I've already planned to buy a Series X, so it would be a win-win outcome for me if they do provide an option to disable the lock.

It amazes/frustrates me that only a year ago the 1X was the most powerful console in the world....wth are they locking the frames?  Assetto Corsa Competizione did the same thing and it feels like half a game at times.  Are there technical reasons that this system is being held back from its potential?
Xbox OneX

Course Creations:

The Honeycrisp Club
Michigan Falls 2020
Kameron's Oasis 2020
The Witcher
Doral Blue Monster 2
Straits of Mackinac
Kendall's Luau
Michigan Hollows
Krysta Falls

HockeyNick30

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »
I am on a launch PS4 (not even an upgraded PS4 Pro), and I don't seem to be having the same issues that others in this thread have posted about.  I am still able to score really well on lower difficulty settings (-10 to -15 per round), and barely break par on the harder difficulties.

While I am certain that the newer hardware, and gaming PC's look beautiful, and play smoother--I still find the PS4 a really good gaming experience with this game.  I do not plan on upgrading anytime soon.  This game gives me hours of enjoyment each week.

Perhaps I am just a golf addict, and put up with some minor PS4 related issues and just try to put it out of my head, or I am just really good at the game?

If you've only ever played the series on the PS4, you've likely gotten your senses acclimated to it without any contamination from playing it at 60 FPS.  I played TGC 1 and 2 on the PS4, and found that it was easier to manage my swing on them better than on the XBox One version.  I still found it easier to modulate my swing on the PC version of those two, better than the PS4, due to the increased frame rates I saw on the PC.

It might have something to do with the way the controller inputs are processed.  I can't comment on how TGC 2019 or PGA TOUR 2K21 compare in control fidelity compared to the PS4 version, as I've not tried the PS4 version of either. 

I'm at best and average player in this game, and I'm going to be more prone to having more tempo control problems than someone who routinely shoots the kind of scores you're tallying.  I think you would still score better at 60 FPS, but your margin would be far less of a margin than mine would be, as someone who averages shooting 70 in Pro-Am swing difficulty.

Yes, I have only played the TGC Series on a PS4.  It is the sole reason why I purchased a PS4--to play this game.  I used to be into PC gaming 20 plus years ago, but I work on a computer all day/every day.  So, I just could not see myself sitting at a computer for more hours in a day than I already do.  I have a modern i7 based PC that I could easily turn into a gaming PC with the proper video card.  But after work, I look forward to relaxing on the sofa, and even moreso to relaxing on the sofa, and playing with others in a Society that I am a member of and chatting while playing.

I play on a 1080p TV in my home office (not even a 4k!)--but do have several large 4k TV's in the house, but not where my PS4 is located.  I guess I should hook the PS4 up to one of those some time just to see if any upscaling/conversion makes it look even better. 

To me, PGA 2k21 is such a large improvement in graphics over the previous iterations of the TGC franchise, I am completely happy with the game as is in 1080p.

I guess I am not into graphics as much as some of the others on this forum, as I suppose I value the "gameplay" over graphics quality.  I enjoy the social aspect of this game as much as anything within the gameplay.  I used to tell my old golf nemesis Jeffield this all the time during our golf battles.  Graphics are certainly important--but having a group of players to play against that you know is more important for me personally.  The society based scoring in this game has really made me appreciate that even more, whereas I can be chasing a friends score over a four round weekly tournament when our work schedules simply don't align.

With that being said, the ability for a Society Admin to setup a four round tournament with varying conditions/options has more impact on the scores than the swing difficulty.  At least this is the case on the PS4 for me.  Crank up the wind, turn off the scout cam, crank up the firmness, and you can get some really challenging video golf on a crusty old PS4.  Turn down the wind, soften up the greens, and the scores will drop even on the harder swing difficulties.  When you change the conditions from round to round, it really makes it hard to determine how to attack each hole.  I am loving it!

So, like I had indicated earlier, I got my money's worth on this game day one.  I hope that the original poster will have a similar feeling whenever they do purchase the game, and I hope that they do purchase it.  It is a very good golf game if you enjoy golf.

Thank you for your input!  You and I value the same things when it comes to virtual golf...there's nothing quite like teeing off with a like-minded group of people!
Xbox OneX

Course Creations:

The Honeycrisp Club
Michigan Falls 2020
Kameron's Oasis 2020
The Witcher
Doral Blue Monster 2
Straits of Mackinac
Kendall's Luau
Michigan Hollows
Krysta Falls

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2020, 07:15:36 AM »
Out of interest, does tgc2k21 still appear to be a significant upgrade on stock xbox from tgc2k19 ?

It is a noticeable improvement graphics wise on the PS4.  Now that it is 50% off in the Playstation Store it is a no brainer purchase if you like golf games, or had any interest in TGC 2019.  Hopefully it is on sale on the Xbox store as well.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2020, 06:42:12 PM »
It amazes/frustrates me that only a year ago the 1X was the most powerful console in the world....wth are they locking the frames?  Assetto Corsa Competizione did the same thing and it feels like half a game at times.  Are there technical reasons that this system is being held back from its potential?

I was also very disappointed when Assetto Corsa Compatizione didn't get some frame rate boosting with the One X.  I tried the trial version of it and was very disappointed in the way it felt at 30 FPS.  I thought 704 Games would have offered at 60 FPS version of NASCAR HEAT 5, especially since it's still capped at 1080p, but no dice, so I passed on it as well.

Are there technical reasons that this system is being held back from its potential?  Maybe... I understand that most developers didn't get a full, native development kit for the Series X and S until considerably later than PS5 developers got their full development kits.  Some are saying that's why multiplatform games at launch are performing better on the PS5, at least out of the gate.

As a PC gamer who also plays PGA TOUR 2K21 at 4K/60 FPS on a less capable gaming PC of, I know the next-gen hardware is more than capable of running this game at 60 FPS.  Why it may not possible to put a "vsync OFF" and/or "vsync 60 Hz" option in for the Series X or PS5 is above my pay grade :-\
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »
Unless there's something the new console developers arent disclosing, these new consoles are by far more than capable enough to play pga2k21 and other games in 4k /60+fps.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:39:11 PM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2020, 05:25:47 PM »
Unless there's something the new console developers arent disclosing, these new consoles are by far more than capable enough to play pga2k21 and other games in 4k /60+fps.

Gameplay...gameplay....gameplay...

Its a discussion since the old Hanover days.

A couple of the crew have the PS5...they say that there is a "slight improvement" in the graphics from the PS4 for PGA 2k21, but that it is mostly the same...the main difference is that the loading times are much, much faster (which is to be expected with the difference in storage media between the two consoles).

Zero reason for me to upgrade to a PS5 until the graphics are next gen for golf games.  Which might be next years release, assuming we get one.  Hopefully we do!

If they make a major adjustment in graphics on the PS5 for this game, is when I will purchase a PS5, since this is the only game I play.

space-cash