Wind speed for ghost?

• 6 Replies

DuskyNewt065757

• Why Golf? All the other 4 letter words were taken
« on: January 12, 2021, 01:12:05 PM »
Is there any way to determine what a ghost has selected for wind speed in 2k21 before you start a round? I played someone awhile back who had zero wind while I played the designer default medium wind and it didn’t seem like we were playing under comparable course conditions.
Not a big deal actually but thought I would check with the experts.
Thanks,
Dusky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dusky
my Courses - 2K21

Nags Head Golf Links
MauchChunkCreek
Old Downtown Club
TGC 2019
Klubbinhand GC Pocono, PA
Locust Lakes (Municipal)
Fox Hollow Bucks Co Pa
South County Creek
Easton's Isle
Lehigh Power Spillway
Island Hoppers GC
La Cascada GC

Martbloke

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 03:14:56 PM »
Is there any way to determine what a ghost has selected for wind speed in 2k21 before you start a round? I played someone awhile back who had zero wind while I played the designer default medium wind and it didn’t seem like we were playing under comparable course conditions.
Not a big deal actually but thought I would check with the experts.
Thanks,
Dusky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope unfortunately and IMO, is kind of a big deal. Annoying to set up and play a ghost say in a match play game, yet find out you are playing differing conditions. Also makes it look strange when you watch their shots and find out they actually didn't hit it into the water but was 10ft from the hole.

Next update/game needs to allow you to see what conditions that ghost played and give you the option to play their conditions or your own (I would assume most would choose the ghost's conditions for a fair match). Also would need to be able to filter the ghost's for the conditions you would like to play too so you can select 1 easily.

wim1234

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:42:28 AM »
yes, this is what is really needed, the ability to play at the ghost settings.

Dries le Grange

• Pensioner on Golf
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 01:10:12 AM »
Hi Dusky

I'm not sure if you actually meant "designer wind setting" by saying "designer default".  It's worth noting that course designers cannot set any wind conditions to be "the default" during play after the course has been published (as they do with i.e. fairways & greens). It is all system generated and can vary from match to match.  This is one of the reasons why many society presidents opt to set the wind and direction to specifics else you could even find different wind conditions in the same match, especially those played over a few days.  This ensures that everyone plays in the same conditions to have a fair competition.

Some however prefer the "default setting" for varying wind conditions as it represents actual conditions out there which is true.  Players teeing off at 9am vs those at 1pm could have very different conditions.

For these reasons it will be extremely difficult (would guess not to be possible) to filter on wind conditions if the "ghost" had default strength and default direction selected.

Regards

Dries

Pensioner on Golf

DuskyNewt065757

• Why Golf? All the other 4 letter words were taken
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 11:15:45 AM »
Thanks Dries! I learn something new about this game every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dusky
my Courses - 2K21

Nags Head Golf Links
MauchChunkCreek
Old Downtown Club
TGC 2019
Klubbinhand GC Pocono, PA
Locust Lakes (Municipal)
Fox Hollow Bucks Co Pa
South County Creek
Easton's Isle
Lehigh Power Spillway
Island Hoppers GC
La Cascada GC

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 11:57:36 AM »
being able to play in the same wind as a ghost ball, would be my number one requested feature for the new game if there is one.

This is what is needed in the worst way. Please hb consider this if you see this post.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 02:30:28 PM »
While I agree it would be ideal to have the same wind speed/direction of the ghost you are playing, where do you draw the line?  What if you have it on firm and fast greens, and they have it on soft, and slow?  Same deal with the fairways.  How do you know what they chose?

My suspicion is that it is too hard to program for every variable to give you the ghost, and every other variable that they chose.

I suppose a fix would be if you load up a ghost, you get every setting that they used as well.  I suspect people may not like that as then they may be playing in conditions/swing types that they don't enjoy.

The ghost system is far from perfect...but it is an novel idea to be able to play against people you know who are not online when you are.

space-cash