The way to create a popular tour

• 8 Replies

Ramjet36

« on: June 24, 2014, 12:09:49 AM »
I know it is still early but what would those of you who are playing the open beta say are the key elements in publishing a tour that is popular?

In other words, what have you seen so far from published tours that produce tours that have a lot of entries in them? 

Of course, obviously, a popular tour needs to have a selection of great courses.  But what is the sweet spot for the number of courses, and the number of rounds for each course, and the types of aids that need to be turned on for a tour to become popular and played by many people?

Do players seem to favor tours that are of a certain length?  I am sure some tours are too long some are too short some have aids turned on or off that are unpopular.  Also what seems to be the right number of rounds to play for each course that is in the tour?  Do players seem to favor one round two rounds three or four per course?  And I'm not talking about personal likes here I'm trying to determine what types of tours are drawing the most players.

Have you seen any other factors that may influence the number of players that are attracted to a particular tour?
Courses created:   PS4  ID:  RAMJET-36
Peppers Point
Lamp Lighter Harbor

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:39:21 AM »
Personally I think the tours won't fully show their potential until courses have more than one pin per green.  If you want to simulate a tour you need to have tournaments.  To simulate a tournament you need to have multiple rounds at the course hosting the tournament.  Playing the exact same course (with same pins) 4 times is something that even the most enthusiastic HB supporter would find tedious.  Once there are multiple sets of pins (at least 4 please!) then it opens up a whole new experience to tours.  You'll then have 4 round tournaments instead of 1.  Longer tours could be made to simulate pro or amateur tours.  That's what I look forward to the most.

But I guess to answer your question in the beta - my optimum tour is 6 courses, once round each and the only aid I'd select in its current form would be no wind.  Definitely needs a time limit so that a winner can be declared. 

Acid Flashback

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 02:04:36 AM »
If they are gonna have multiple pins then might as well go full steam and ensure that the tee off is movable... that would require a long tee box (to move tees forward and back between rounds), or wide one (move tees left and right). 

Ramjet36

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:16:41 PM »
Thanks Doyley for your comments.  What I am after, however, is the makeup of the current Tours that are attracting the most players?  What setup appears to be the sweet spot that will get the most players to signup for your tour?
Peppers Point
Lamp Lighter Harbor

NevadaBallin

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
Personally I think the tours won't fully show their potential until courses have more than one pin per green.  If you want to simulate a tour you need to have tournaments.  To simulate a tournament you need to have multiple rounds at the course hosting the tournament.  Playing the exact same course (with same pins) 4 times is something that even the most enthusiastic HB supporter would find tedious.  Once there are multiple sets of pins (at least 4 please!) then it opens up a whole new experience to tours.  You'll then have 4 round tournaments instead of 1.  Longer tours could be made to simulate pro or amateur tours.  That's what I look forward to the most.

But I guess to answer your question in the beta - my optimum tour is 6 courses, once round each and the only aid I'd select in its current form would be no wind.  Definitely needs a time limit so that a winner can be declared.

I'm pretty much on the same page with Doyley with the exception (for beta) to run 2 rounds at each course with the wind mph not visible. I do prefer 6 or more courses for a true tour but we're limited to only going 10 days out, so much more than 6 can cut it close for some people on tight real life schedules.

Also, a tour needs to have an expiration date. I typically won't even bother looking at a tour/tourney that does not expire. I do believe that since 0 Expiration is the default that people simply forget to go into settings and change it. I'd like to see 10 days be the default instead of 0.
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 04:44:43 PM »
Thanks Doyley for your comments.  What I am after, however, is the makeup of the current Tours that are attracting the most players?  What setup appears to be the sweet spot that will get the most players to signup for your tour?

I supposed the easiest way to answer this question is to just open up the game and sort tours by completed plays.  Then you can go in and see what the top ones have as settings.  My feeling is that they'll be easier courses and stock.  But just because those are popular doesn't make them better.  The info you are searching for is at your fingertips.

Ramjet36

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »

I supposed the easiest way to answer this question is to just open up the game and sort tours by completed plays.  Then you can go in and see what the top ones have as settings.  My feeling is that they'll be easier courses and stock.  But just because those are popular doesn't make them better.  The info you are searching for is at your fingertips.

Doyley,  unfortunately i do not have a PC that can run this game and am one of the future console players standing idly by waiting.  Therefore I cannot do the search you suggested and am asking for the info from someone who currently has the game. 
So to satisfy my curiosity can anyone tell what tour setup is drawing the most entrants?  Thanks.
Peppers Point
Lamp Lighter Harbor

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »

Doyley,  unfortunately i do not have a PC that can run this game and am one of the future console players standing idly by waiting.  Therefore I cannot do the search you suggested and am asking for the info from someone who currently has the game. 
So to satisfy my curiosity can anyone tell what tour setup is drawing the most entrants?  Thanks.

Sorry Ramjet, I didn't realize that.  If nobody has answered by the time I'm off work (another 9 hours from now) I'll take a peek and let you know.

clayg17

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:49:22 PM »
 I say don't make long par 3 with med or fast grns or put hazards in front of the green with the pin
 just behind it. don't make the greens with stupid hills so you have to putt 4 or 5 times that will
 drive a lot of people away. every one likes to score well so let them. don't make holes 30 , 40
 50 or 60 feet down or up . make the greens so the ball will stop and not roll , roll ,roll .

space-cash