Elevation Question

• 11 Replies

aftrshok99

« on: July 14, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »
I'm recreating my local course and I am trying to get the elevations close what it's actually like.

Example: Hole is 482 yards long, dog leg left. The tee box elevation is 411 feet, the elevation at the mid point of the fairway is 406 feet and the green is 432 feet.

What's the best way of doing this? Do I just lower / raise using the sculpt tool until it looks like it might be close and then play the hole and see what elevation the hole is from those given points or what?
Steam Name: aftrshok99
PSN: aftrshok99

Courses:
The Forum Country Club - Hole 16

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

guitardude_324

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
Well the sculpt tool will tell you how much you're lowering.  I think the best you can do is make the hole flat, and then lower the 2nd  half of the hole by 5ft and then raise the green by 26ft.  The sculpt tool will tell you how much the elevation has changed.  That's probably the only way you're going to get exact elevation changes, however if you're not will to flatten the whole hole, I'd recommend just playing it by sight.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

aftrshok99

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
That's kinda what I was thinking, I'll give that a try and see how it goes. The one thing I hate about using the mouse and keyboard for this is, when I change elevation by holding shift and using the scrolling the mouse wheel. It jumps in increments because of the wheel having click stops, it might go from .90m to 1.64m to 5.3m.

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

aftrshok99

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
Now if I could just get the slope from the green down to the middle of the fairway smooth instead of kinda stepped right now.

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

aftrshok99

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »
I think that having to guess the elevations while I'm laying out a hole kinda bugs me.  I'm a Designer for a Civil Engineering firm and I do site designs, etc. 3D models of sites all day long. I just like to see what elevation I'm at when sloping up the fairway to the green, etc.

BTW....I like using the PS4 controller for creating a course over using the mouse and keyboard.

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

HB_LorinB

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
I think that having to guess the elevations while I'm laying out a hole kinda bugs me.  I'm a Designer for a Civil Engineering firm and I do site designs, etc. 3D models of sites all day long. I just like to see what elevation I'm at when sloping up the fairway to the green, etc.

BTW....I like using the PS4 controller for creating a course over using the mouse and keyboard.

A civil engineer?  I could see why the elevation thing might drive you nuts!  :D

aftrshok99

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »

A civil engineer?  I could see why the elevation thing might drive you nuts!  :D

I'm actually a CAD Tech but we do a lot of the design ourselves and the engineers check it. I've been drafting for over 23 years and you're right, it drives me nuts!!! :o

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »
Now if I could just get the slope from the green down to the middle of the fairway smooth instead of kinda stepped right now.

just give the stepped part a few blasts with the flatten tool....make sure you use the blurry looking tool, after a few blasts it will smooth out nicely.

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
Don't worry guys,  with Greg Norman on board we are going to have all the tools we need so long as HB allows the community to use them as well.....

Saved by the Shark!!!
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

aftrshok99

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »
just give the stepped part a few blasts with the flatten tool....make sure you use the blurry looking tool, after a few blasts it will smooth out nicely.

I'll play around with that some more and see if I can get it smoothed out better.

Don't worry guys,  with Greg Norman on board we are going to have all the tools we need so long as HB allows the community to use them as well.....

Saved by the Shark!!!

I hope so!!!  8)

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

Kamshaft

• Graphic Designer - Game lover
    • XboxAddict.com
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
An elevation reticle measurement would be the best.  So, wherever you would have the cursor, it would tell you how far (in feet) above the water level you are.  Then you would just need to figure out the difference in units.

Because once you raise the terrain that value resets.

I started a similar thread a while back. http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=2071.0
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:18:42 PM by Kamshaft »
--

Courses Created
----------------------
Twin Oak Islands Links Golf Club
Knotty Pines Golf Club
Rattlesnake Canyon Golf Club
Sharp Lake Executive Golf Club
Swan Hills Golf Club

aftrshok99

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »
An elevation reticle measurement would be the best.  So, wherever you would have the cursor, it would tell you how far (in feet) above the water level you are.  Then you would just need to figure out the difference in units.

Because once you raise the terrain that value resets.

Yes, that would be good.

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

space-cash