Hours Invested In Courses You've Created

• 28 Replies

aftrshok99

« on: July 30, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
I'm currently working on one of my local courses, I've got 9 holes laid out but I'm having to go back and tweak the holes to get them pretty close to the real course. I've only made it through the first 3 holes and it seems like it's going to take forever. Granted I might only spend 1-2 hours a night working on my course. This got me wondering how much time you all spend working on your courses?
Steam Name: aftrshok99
PSN: aftrshok99

Courses:
The Forum Country Club - Hole 16

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

Dr. Yeti

• GroupMember
  • Handicap: 10
    • My 2014 Golf Stats (RL)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »
Typically I'll spend anywhere between 2-5 hours per hole.   Sometimes more, sometimes less.   Be sure to balance some of your time with play-testing, it helps break the monotony of planting so much stuff.

guitardude_324

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:05:04 AM »
Shivering Pines - 50-55 hours.  Was learning how the creator worked, ran into a few snags that slowed me down because I didn't know enough about how it worked.  Started as an auto-generated course, and then I started moving tees, greens and middle waypoints around.  For the back 9, I had completely moved every hole around.  Also experienced saving issues when the course was at full capacity and stopped saving my progress.  Never got to implement the changes I wanted on the last 3 holes.

Bushtail Valley - 45-50 hours in builder (5-10 hours pre-planning).  Was still learning more about the creator, also lost my course after 4 holes were completed.  Found a picture of a course that inspired the peninsula that holes 14, 15, 16, were on and I planned the course out by drawing a mock map using MS Paint.  Once I had the layout for the holes laid out, I started building.

Red Diamond G&C - 40 hours (approx. 10 hours pre-planned).  I had every hole pre-planned on this one.  I knew what the layout of the holes were going to be, I knew how every hole was going to be shaped, I had pictures of holes for notes, rock formations, desert courses, quarry golf courses.  Did around a hole a day.  By the time I had reached the 15th hole, I had discovered the trick to shaping fairways using the red brush trick.  I revisited every hole and shaped the fairways around bunkers, created bottlenecks towards the green, etc.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
 I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like. To do the planting and detailing I'd LIKE to do would take hours and hours. However I work about 55-60 a week and have three small kids... Sorry, but I'm not stealing time from my family for this game.  ;D

I think they turn out ok regardless. REally I end up blocking out a hole very roughly, playing it a few times (before changing any elevations) and then letting my play test dictate what I'm goint to do. I've totally deleted and redone many holes after laying them out. I also NEVER put down bunkers before playing it a few times. I've also started sculpting the land while designing instead of doing it ahead of time on a plot. I haven't run into any issues so far doing it this way.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

aftrshok99

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »
I'm probably a little afraid that I'll put 40-50 hours in it and it will end up not being very good and someone will say "You spent how long on that?". I guess it really boils down to is wether or not I'm happy with it. I probably will spend more time on the back 9 because it's got some major elevation changes on some of the holes. Not sure I'll be able to replicate those to match the real course. It should be fun trying though

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

aftrshok99

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »
I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like. To do the planting and detailing I'd LIKE to do would take hours and hours. However I work about 55-60 a week and have three small kids... Sorry, but I'm not stealing time from my family for this game.  ;D

I think they turn out ok regardless. REally I end up blocking out a hole very roughly, playing it a few times (before changing any elevations) and then letting my play test dictate what I'm goint to do. I've totally deleted and redone many holes after laying them out. I also NEVER put down bunkers before playing it a few times. I've also started sculpting the land while designing instead of doing it ahead of time on a plot. I haven't run into any issues so far doing it this way.

Hey I'm the same way, family first.

I'm sculpting the land as I go and have found out for me it's much easier to do it this way.

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »
I just checked and it looks like I have 425 hours on record thus far.  I spend the vast majority of my time in the creator (70-80%) and I'm 6 holes into my 3rd course.  I may need to go to rehab soon.  :-[

The Club at Old Mill Creek  -  Tournament Course  -  Lake County, Illinois

aftrshok99

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
I just checked and it looks like I have 425 hours on record thus far.  I spend the vast majority of my time in the creator (70-80%) and I'm 6 holes into my 3rd course.  I may need to go to rehab soon.  :-[

OMG  :o

That's a lot of time, I think we need to do an intervention for you!!! Maybe put you in GNCDA.

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

guitardude_324

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
Wowza, I only just reached the 200hr milestone.  I don't think I've ever played a game more than this since Skyrim.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »
Wowza, I only just reached the 200hr milestone.  I don't think I've ever played a game more than this since Skyrim.

Yeah, Skyrim was a huge time suck for me as well...NHL 13 was another.

That's a lot of time, I think we need to do an intervention for you!!! Maybe put you in GNCDA.

LOL.  Honestly most of that was in the first month or so.  Life has gotten in the way and it's going to get hard to find much time at all to devote soon enough.  That said, the new tools are going to make things go a lot faster for me from now on.  Much time was wasted trying to circumvent the limitations of the course designer to make things look acceptable to me.  Now that I have complete control and a better knowledge of the tools I am hoping I can cut my time spent down to 50 or 60 hours for a full 18 hole layout.

The Club at Old Mill Creek  -  Tournament Course  -  Lake County, Illinois

Dr. Yeti

• GroupMember
  • Handicap: 10
    • My 2014 Golf Stats (RL)
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:16:52 PM »

I just went to check where I was at thinking..."I've got to be close to 200 too"      Drat,  199 hrs  :(
Tonight I'll join the 200hr club I'm sure.  8)

aftrshok99

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:19:21 PM »
You guys have got some crazy amount of time invested....whew

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

Wolverin3

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
Im on 308 hours  :o  I have taken around 40 hours on each course.
Courses Created
---------------------------------
Aridian Sands
New The Gobi Golf Club V2
The Gobi Golf Club
Autumn Gold
Golden Sands GC
Waterfront Golf Club (Hard - firm fairways - fast greens)
New Waterfront Golf Club ( more friendly version )

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 12:34:20 PM »
probably about 1 hr per hole maybe less...i dont overplant A. because my system don't like it man!  :-[  and B. I aint got the patience.

aftrshok99

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »
probably about 1 hr per hole maybe less...i dont overplant A. because my system don't like it man!  :-[  and B. I aint got the patience.

I started to plant some grass on the 3rd hole and said "Nope, it will take forever and probably doens't need it anyway!"

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

space-cash