Hours Invested In Courses You've Created

• 28 Replies

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
I started to plant some grass on the 3rd hole and said "Nope, it will take forever and probably doens't need it anyway!"
[/quote]

lol a man after my own heart....play before beauty, i have played some stunning courses to date, everything looks amazing but as a golf hole they are very forgettable.

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »
I started to plant some grass on the 3rd hole and said "Nope, it will take forever and probably doens't need it anyway!"

lol a man after my own heart....play before beauty, i have played some stunning courses to date, everything looks amazing but as a golf hole they are very forgettable.
[/quote]

So much this... So so much this...

Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

aftrshok99

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »

So much this... So so much this...
[/quote]

Now trees are a different story but I only add what is needed in the case of my local course I'm working on.....not going overboard.

On hole 3 and 6, there is a field with tall grass and tree to the left (IRL) but to add that much tall grass would take me 40 hours alone....so I'm choosing to leave it out. It really won't matter in the long run.
Steam Name: aftrshok99
PSN: aftrshok99

Courses:
The Forum Country Club - Hole 16

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »
as a rule i ask myself before planting....is it really worth it, does it impact the hole? i make excuses for it not to be worth it lol.....anyone who takes time to plant 1000's of shrubs/ objects etc can babysit my kids anyday...patience of a saint! and kudos to them, its just not for me, although i was forced to plant loads of trees for salahee, luckily 2/3 were already generated for me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:40:42 PM by DoGgzbollox »

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 01:41:24 PM »
If the planting adds a lot... do it.

If it's just fluff? Yeah...don't. Spend more time on the playability. That's my take anyway.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 02:24:57 PM »
as a rule i ask myself before planting....is it really worth it, does it impact the hole? i make excuses for it not to be worth it lol.....anyone who takes time to plant 1000's of shrubs/ objects etc can babysit my kids anyday...patience of a saint! and kudos to them, its just not for me, although i was forced to plant loads of trees for salahee, luckily 2/3 were already generated for me.

That's what I love about this course designer, the fact that you DON'T have to spend hundreds of hours planting trees and bushes.  Designing courses for Links or TW08 you had no choice but to plant everything by hand and it took a lot of time to make it look natural.

The Club at Old Mill Creek  -  Tournament Course  -  Lake County, Illinois

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
Right. The most timeconsuming is planting. But its not only trees, grass etc.
But (and this is most inconvenient) rocking the steep slopes. The look like rocks when generated, but they are treated as heavy rough.
I think terrain with a slope of 75+ degrees should not only look like rock, but also be treated as such. (Lorin? worth for the "list"?)
The other thing is a mass planting brush, where you can select a aerea, define how much of what you want to have in there and then all the existing objects of that type in that aerea are removed and randomly replaced. This "en passent" would allow not only to generate objects in a certain aerea, but also to remove specific obejects from a certain aerea by just setting the desired amount to 0. (maybe anotherone for Lorin's famous list?)
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

aftrshok99

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »
Since I'm not doing a lot of planting right now, I tend to spend most of my time per hole adjusting the elevations of the fairways. I make sure to smooth out any elevation transistions, for example. On hole 2 right about the landing spot for your drive is where the slope on the fairway from the tee box to a low water crossing (it never has water unless we get a heavy rain) and then starts back up hill to the green. It runs from the pond on the right of the fairway to the pond on the left of the fairway, getting that just right took a little bit of my time but plays true to the RL course.

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

Dr. Yeti

• GroupMember
  • Handicap: 10
    • My 2014 Golf Stats (RL)
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »
Planting is the very last thing I do.   Major Landscaping-> Hole Design-> Playtest-> tweaks-> playtest-> repeat as needed-> minor landscape changes (around the hole, greens, teeboxes) ->playtest ->then planting ->final playtest.

Wolverin3

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 08:32:47 PM »
Planting is the last thing I do..and I only plant where the ball might go...anything else is just a waste of time for me personally.....although...playing a few TB games with hookslicer tonight, may have to rethink my planting lol.
Courses Created
---------------------------------
Aridian Sands
New The Gobi Golf Club V2
The Gobi Golf Club
Autumn Gold
Golden Sands GC
Waterfront Golf Club (Hard - firm fairways - fast greens)
New Waterfront Golf Club ( more friendly version )

Acrilix

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 07:00:04 AM »
That's what I love about this course designer, the fact that you DON'T have to spend hundreds of hours planting trees and bushes.  Designing courses for Links or TW08 you had no choice but to plant everything by hand and it took a lot of time to make it look natural.

I still design for Links 2003 and you definitely don't have to plant everything by hand. There is a forest plant tool where you simply draw a shape on your terrain. You can then specify the density and min/max heights of the plant, and it then plants the drawn area. Repeat with a few different plants and you can soon cover large areas with realistic looking planting. I probably only do 5% of my planting by hand on a course.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

aftrshok99

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »

I still design for Links 2003 and you definitely don't have to plant everything by hand. There is a forest plant tool where you simply draw a shape on your terrain. You can then specify the density and min/max heights of the plant, and it then plants the drawn area. Repeat with a few different plants and you can soon cover large areas with realistic looking planting. I probably only do 5% of my planting by hand on a course.

That's pretty much what everyone wants in the GNCD, hopefully it will be something we get in the not so distant future.

Courses:

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

Kamshaft

• Graphic Designer - Game lover
    • XboxAddict.com
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »
For me, the amount of time spent building a course is getting shorter and shorter.  Why?  I'm just getting used to the tools.  Knotty Pines took less than half the time that Rattlesnake Canyon did to give you a sense of perspective.

When you have an idea, and run with it.  It usually comes together very fast.  On the other hand, when inspiration is NOT present, it sucks.  :D
--

Courses Created
----------------------
Twin Oak Islands Links Golf Club
Knotty Pines Golf Club
Rattlesnake Canyon Golf Club
Sharp Lake Executive Golf Club
Swan Hills Golf Club

guitardude_324

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 10:08:46 AM »
It goes quicker when you make a mediocre blue print of your course in advance.

2014-07-25_00002 by guitardude_324, on Flickr
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

space-cash