Next project. Pre-alpha plot test published with Meadow/mountain and Lake/River.

• 41 Replies

JayJayJames3223

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 03:07:04 AM »
I just put up a 9 on hole 5 because I had 4 straight shots roll completely off the green back into the same spot. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but if you don't sit up on that hill perfectly the ball will roll all the way back, no matter how softly it lands near the top. I had three flops seemingly be on flat land before they slowly started rolling back and picked up steam down the hill and back off the green. Then I had a pitch with 91% power that didn't quite make it. Finally a 100% pitch shot  just got up the hill enough to stay, where I promptly two putted. I was about 35 yards out off to left on a hill by the sandtrap.

Overall, it was pretty good so far. Finished +4 on Meadow and +3 on Mountain. I think 14 also had a kinda wacky pin placement. Looking forward to the finished product.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:25:29 AM by JayJayJames3223 »
Steam: RhythmicSlaps

Mellow_Swe

• GroupMember
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »
Ok so I thought I'd offer my two cents as well.
Bear in mind I'm fairly new to the game (about 20 rounds played and in the middle of designing my first course) but here goes.

First off I'm loving the concept and I think people will enjoy the option of being able to play the 18-hole mix that they prefer.
Landscaping is beautifully done and I think the general layout matches the theme you've implied on each nine (Meadow, Mountain etc).

As far as strategy goes I think you've nailed it so far. I can see that we think alike in many situations
I especially like the fact that on most holes it is not enough to just club up or down on the tee to avoid hazards but you really have to think about where in the fairway to place your shot to get the best possible angle for the approach. Sometimes that means taking less club even if there is a section of fairway reachable with driver.
Same goes for the approach shots. Great to have different ways of getting close to a pin such as using the slopes etc. I hit a beauty on no 9 where I intentionally clubbed down to land off the green to the right and rolled it down to 3 ft. My only concern here is that some of the severe slopes are a little too close to the pins. I like using slopes to catch errant shots but if they are too close to the pin they will also punish good shots.
And that brings me to my next point, the slopes on the greens.
Personally I am not a fan of having lots of slopes around the holes. I know some people use it to make their course harder but I think you have plenty of difficulty with the strategy, wind (I had a 10 mph wind which I thought was challenging and fair) and the slopes around the green.
The last thing you want after struggling to make all the right decisions during a hole is to increase your putter distance on a 5 ft uphill putt, hit it well and still have it come up short...
I also agree with JayJayJames about nos 5 and 14.
On 5 I hit it on in two on the lower tier and had to max out my putter just to barely get it up the hill.
On 14 there is very little room on the teeshot if the wind is in your face. The left bunker means that you need to hit it to the right and I landed my ball in the middle of that part of the fairway and still rolled off down the hill right.
On the green I think the slope is way too severe around the hole...I hit a downhill putt that hit the hole, almost stopped and still rolled down about 10 ft past.

I think you've done a great job so far and I can't wait for the whole thing to be finished.
Going to be a 10 for me if the slopes around the holes are dialled down a bit.

Drgnslyr221

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
Thanks guys. The pins are not final.  The course was published as a plot test.  I'm going to tame #5 on the meadow a little. Honestly I didn't even really go over the pins before publish.  Keep an eye out for the Beta versions which will pretty much be finals without objects. Sorry about the bad pins.

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
I gave this a play last night and figured I'd share my general thoughts.

I like the course but I'm not "over the moon" about it yet. PArt of it may be that it's not finished so fairway edges appear to be really wavy and greens/tees are still in the works.

My biggest takeaway was that I expected the meadow nine to be less...well bumpy. little rolling hills I get but these seemed to be more than I anticipated. instead of a flat area with hills on it it felt like it was constantly up and down and up and down all over with no gentle slopes. I played it hours and  hours ago so these are just impressions. I'm sure it's not everywhere, it's just what stuck in my head. when I looked at the early shots and the plot itself I figured it the fairways would simply flow around the hills but when playing it didn't feel that way. The "bumpiness" instead of "hillyness" made for more totally blind tee shots than I would like

The mountain 9 is better for me. I liked a lot of the layout. I think the fairways could APPEAR to be bigger (make it look bigger from the tee or from landing zones but in reality it's not) and that might help with the appear. The fairways also appeared to be unfinished.

Take it for what it is, constructive criticism. If you did some fine tuning and release right now I'd still play and enjoy it. I just figured you'd like to hear what we thought since it's early days.  ;D

Thanks for your hard work and for sharing your skills with the rest of us idiots!
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

pingzing2

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 10:46:12 PM »
very good concept mate, thats thinking laterally

will go and try the alpha test  out

thanks
Courses

Maha Toka Golf Club
Tropic of Capricorn
Brookwater Pines
Springbrook Valley
Glenview Pines
Broken Hills GC
Chestnut Hollow
Autumn Valley Rise
Alpine Pass
pine forest creek

Drgnslyr221

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 02:58:19 AM »
I gave this a play last night and figured I'd share my general thoughts.

I like the course but I'm not "over the moon" about it yet. PArt of it may be that it's not finished so fairway edges appear to be really wavy and greens/tees are still in the works.

My biggest takeaway was that I expected the meadow nine to be less...well bumpy. little rolling hills I get but these seemed to be more than I anticipated. instead of a flat area with hills on it it felt like it was constantly up and down and up and down all over with no gentle slopes. I played it hours and  hours ago so these are just impressions. I'm sure it's not everywhere, it's just what stuck in my head. when I looked at the early shots and the plot itself I figured it the fairways would simply flow around the hills but when playing it didn't feel that way. The "bumpiness" instead of "hillyness" made for more totally blind tee shots than I would like

The mountain 9 is better for me. I liked a lot of the layout. I think the fairways could APPEAR to be bigger (make it look bigger from the tee or from landing zones but in reality it's not) and that might help with the appear. The fairways also appeared to be unfinished.

Take it for what it is, constructive criticism. If you did some fine tuning and release right now I'd still play and enjoy it. I just figured you'd like to hear what we thought since it's early days.  ;D

Thanks for your hard work and for sharing your skills with the rest of us idiots!

Yeah, fairway and green elevations are one of the last things I do. I will definitely see if I can settle those bumps down. The meadow was my first attempt at Links style golf. I was feeling a little sadistic when I made the Mountain. Just under 3800 yards and tight fairways. 8) I'll see about widening some of the landing areas.

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
No no. Landing areas can be tight. I mean from the tee you can make it LOOK wider than it really is. You know? Put the fairway at an angle to start or put a short bailout area. It will appear to be wide and easy...but because of the angles or elevation it's really not. :-)
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Drgnslyr221

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »
I just published the Lake/ River pre alpha. I am having major issues with trees appearing when I move holes so at this point the plan to release different 18 hole combinations is on hold, but I will publish Lake/river and Meadow/Mountain and all nines separate when they are done and maybe in the future release other combinations. I just refuse to spend hours upon hours on this tree issue. i already have enough to do to make these two courses match.

Drgnslyr221

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »
I'm still working on getting this done. Hope to have Meadow/Mountain out within the next week or so. Haven't had a lot of time to design lately.

Drgnslyr221

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2014, 02:19:05 AM »
Soon.

Drgnslyr221

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »
So, after what seemed like eternity all 36 holes have their final elevations done. All Meadow and Mountain holes are 100% done (play-testing still to do). There are some weak holes that I just couldn't get to work. So, I apologize for those.  ???  The Meadow nine didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, but is still a solid nine. The mountain nine turned out great, IMO. The lake nine I am very happy with, especially holes 2,3,4,8 and 9. The River nine is my favorite with every hole being strong contenders for best of the 36. Bearing major flaws found in play-testing Meadow/Mountain should be out in a couple of days and Lake/River in the next 7-10 days. After that I will try my best to publish as many variations as possible.  :o

Drgnslyr221

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
100% auto-generate free!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

space-cash