Taking better photos of your golf course...

• 29 Replies

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« on: August 02, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »
Hey guys.  Since the day I began posting shots of my work here I have been asked one question several times.  Brad, how do you get your screenshots to look like that?

Today, I'm going to finally answer that question.  You too can take better shots of your golf course if you follow these simple steps...

1) Use better settings. When you hit the F12 key you will see two boxes in the upper left corner.  The second one reads 'camera settings'.  Click on it to open a menu that lets you adjust the camera to your desired settings.  This is the first thing I do when preparing to take photos and I like to use the same settings pretty much every time.

Hide Game HUD: Check this box
FOV: 40 to 45
Enable DOF: Check this box!!!
Focal Length: Between 15 and 25
Focal Size: Between 0.3 and 0.4
Aperture: Between 5 and 6
Max Blur Size: Between 9 and 10
Near Blur: Check if you like
Foreground Overlap: Leave this at 1.0

2) Use a realistic view. If you look back at any of my photos you will notice that almost every picture is taken with the camera at or very near 'eye level'.  Keeping the camera closer to the ground may not allow you to show the entire hole in one picture, but it will make your final product look less like a 'screenshot' and more like a 'photo'.

3) Beware of the lighting.  Change your time of day settings to get the sun lower in the sky.  Not only will this produce better contrast (shadows) but it will also give you a much more pleasant color palate.  When the sun is lower in the sky, light has to travel through more of the atmosphere giving it a natural filter and more pleasing color.

Play around with the direction that the light is coming from in relation to what you are trying to photograph.  Shooting into the sunlight will produce a 'lens flare' which can add an interesting touch to your pictures.

4) Post editing.  Obviously, I crop all of my photos to remove the top and bottom portions and resize them to a more suitable size for the forums.  Currently I go with 980 pixels wide, but it's really up to you.

Other than that the only other change I make in post is to adjust the white and black point of each photo.  Essentially what this means is I adjust the color balance so that the brightest part of my picture becomes pure white and the darkest parts become pure black.  This is what makes the shadows pop in my photos.  I do this in Photoshop.  If you have it too, here is an awesome tutorial that will show you just how to do that:

http://youtu.be/rvv8NeeYEeI

I hope this info helps, I'm sorry that it took me so long to put this little tutorial together for you.  I'm looking forward to seeing some great 'photos' in the future.

Cheers!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:18:58 PM by bradleystuart »

The Club at Old Mill Creek  -  Tournament Course  -  Lake County, Illinois

Archie-tect

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:48:45 AM »
Nice looking WIP,have you got any published courses?

bilbosmeggins

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial.  I'm not sure how or if at all it will relate to the PS4 version.  Only time will tell, but, if there are any similarities in screenshot operations I shall be sure to check back to this thread.

Much appreciated :)

kwake

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial, will definitely attempt this when my next course is posted. 

Next question how do i embed the pictures into my post instead of thumbnails.

Thanks

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
Nice looking WIP,have you got any published courses?

I have a couple of courses out there.  BSG - Eagle Lodge was the first, it's a short track with small greens in the alpine theme.  I also have another that I did in both the desert and alpine, BSG - Hoodoo Gulch and BSG - Widow's Ridge respectively.

Now that we have much better tools I will most likely do a makeover on Eagle Lodge after I am done with my current project.  Then one more course in the links style I am thinking.  ;)

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
....how do i embed the pictures into my post instead of thumbnails.

Personally, I am using Postimg.org right now.  You can upload your pictures in just a couple of clicks.  Once they are up, choose the Direct Link and post it here wrapped in IMG tags.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
I will be setting this as a sticky in a day or two.  Thanks for doing this bradley!

RobV

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »
Yes, thanks much...  this is great!   
Courses:
The Holy Goat GC
Lakeside Park GC
Milwaukee's Best GC

Mulligan

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 02:17:06 PM »
The most important part, for me, having dual monitors, is the Screenshot Size.

I have a mismatched pair, so a good resolution is 3600x1080 since I have 1920x1080 as my left (main) monitor and 1680x1050 as my secondary right monitor. Makes excellent dual monitor wallpapers.

clubcaptain

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
Great information. Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Which version of PS is used in the video.

FOV:  ??
DOF: ??
Focal Size:??
FO: ??

Then - how do you publish the pics here bearing in mind the measly file sizes permitted.

Intel core I73770k 3.5 GHZ
16 Gb Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600MHZ/PC12800
Asus mobo PB8277-V Lx
Nvidea GeForce GTX670 2GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windoes 7 home premium 64 bit

Courses :
Aphrodite Golf and Sailing Resort
Taiga Forest-Kaunis Course
Adelaide Hills West Golf Course
Strathmally GC

AndrewG

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 05:02:55 PM »
Great information. Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Then - how do you publish the pics here bearing in mind the measly file sizes permitted.

I host my pic on photobucket then get the direct link to the pic, then wrap them in the img tags when making a post, no resizing required.
I Use: Xbox 360 wired gamepad for Windows PC.

Steam Name: FirstBlitzerAu

My Courses

Somersett Lakes CC
The Lakes of Fall Golf Club
Badlands Country Club
Heritage Lakes CDC (Front 9)

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
You should make a load of these at full size and high resolution and get them up for people to use as wallpapers,as they look realy good,i'd certainly use them ;D ;D ;D
i7 4790k 4.40Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H100i (AIO)
MSI GD65 gaming m-board
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

Mulligan

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
Nevermind, misunderstood !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:01:35 PM by Mulligan »

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 06:03:07 PM »

I'm not sure on which version of PS that is.  It's not my video, I just posted it as an example for people who already have Photoshop and would like to try color correcting their own pictures.  I have done manual color correcting in version 5.5 and it's the same technique as he shows there.

As for those settings they loosely translate to actual camera settings.  Play around with each one and find what works best for you.  Just be sure that DOF (Depth of Field) is enabled or none of the other settings will make any difference.  ;)

Like I said earlier, I am using Postimg.org right now as a host and just posting the direct link(s) here in the forum. 

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
I host my pic on photobucket then get the direct link to the pic, then wrap them in the img tags when making a post, no resizing required.

I was using Photobucket in the beginning, but I noticed that the pictures weren't showing on my Kindle.  I know Postimg isn't the best but so far I haven't had an issue.  I hope to have a server up sometime in the fall and then I can just host everything myself.

space-cash