True Sim Tour (no grids)

• 244 Replies

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 12:41:29 AM »
With the news the game is being released in a week - we'll start the first week after the game is released so that we don't run into any issues with stats/leaderboards being reset.

Week 1 course will be announced shortly.

So we start 08/25??  ;D

Ha, man I worded that one bad!  We'll start Week 1 after the game is released (I was planning on starting Saturday for early access people but will wait incase any resets clear leaderboards etc) so Tuesday, August 19th at the earliest.

fljon

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 12:49:29 AM »
With the news the game is being released in a week - we'll start the first week after the game is released so that we don't run into any issues with stats/leaderboards being reset.

Week 1 course will be announced shortly.

So we start 08/25??  ;D

Ha, man I worded that one bad!  We'll start Week 1 after the game is released (I was planning on starting Saturday for early access people but will wait incase any resets clear leaderboards etc) so Tuesday, August 19th at the earliest.

Sounds good!  Taking some time off from work so I can help with any spreadsheet set-up needed on the Xbox One side of things.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 12:55:27 AM »
Sounds good!  Taking some time off from work so I can help with any spreadsheet set-up needed on the Xbox One side of things.

Spreadsheet is set up and ready to go - just need the word to get out to the Xbox folks who may not know we exist!

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
I've been playing rounds with no grids/no scout cam for a few weeks now.  I still find the putting cam a bit clunky.  Last night I played a no grids/scout cam on round and enjoyed it much more.  In my opinion, the freedom of the scout cam on the green trumps the added difficulty of no scout cam on the tees and approach shots.  I also like the ability to have a look at the gridless green on the approach shot to help place shots.

So with that said, unless there is a major uproar of disapproval, I'm going to bring back in the scout cam for this tour.  If/when TGC brings in the option to have scout cam on green only I will likely revisit this decision.

By tomorrow I'm going to create a 3rd warmup tour with the new settings that will replace the Hoodoo tournament on the spreadsheet.  This one will have the scout camera on and you can get a feel for which one you like better.  It will run until Tuesday when the game will be released on PC and Xbox One.

I'm going to base any game-play decisions going forward on this criteria:  I'll take the average of the top 10 finishers of a tournament - if the average is 25-under or more I'll be looking for harder courses to play.  If I can't find harder courses then we'll likely look at re-adding no scout cam to get the scores down.

I have a feeling running no grids with scout cam on will still provide the challenge I'm looking for while allowing for an enjoyable experience with no grids. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:45:30 PM by Doyley »

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
Read the post above first!

I've also been toying with the idea of adding a cut for the majors (and possibly all events if the tourney coordinators find the workflow manageable).  But I'd like to see how many people we get playing first.  If we get over 100 people playing by Week 4 I will definitely consider it. 

Here's how it'd work if we used a cut
Rounds 1&2:  Friday-Wednesday (6 days)
Rounds 3&4:  Thursday-Monday (5 days)
*  Cut would be similar to US Open (all golfers in the top 60 plus ties make the cut. Golfers outside of the top 60 plus ties are cut from the field and fail to advance to the final two rounds of play.)

It would also depend on if our Tourney Coords were able to fit this into their schedule's as well.

Thoughts?

Personally I think a cut would discourage the casual golfers from playing (no grids probably already does this to a great extent).  On the other hand when the game is released maybe we have a larger pool of competitive players and it all works out.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:24:28 PM by Doyley »

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »
whatever you do is fine by me m8...its your baby, you dress it anyway you want  :)

ralphieboy72

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
I like where you are taking this, Doyley.  I want to see more realistic scores as well.   I do prefer the scout cam on.

I know Lorin has mentioned HB plans on making some changes to the flop shot in the future.  I haven't followed a lot of ghosts balls around but I would assume a lot of the low scores on no grid tours use the flop shot and pitch shot to get the ball really close to the pin.   That's the best way to take out the difficulty of green reading.  Although I've even missed 4 footers on no grid.  LOL.

I would imagine if you chose courses with fewer reachable par 5s or short par 4s, the scores would go up slightly.

Hopefully the flops and pitching becomes a little more difficult over time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:35:01 PM by ralphieboy72 »

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
Although I've even missed 4 footers on no grid.

You and me both!

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
Final warmup tour up and running using the settings for the opening week.  No grids only.  Enjoy!  Will be open until the game is released then all stats/scores will be reset and we'll start for real.

True Sim Tour - Warmup 3

Thrangar

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »
Is the true sim tour warmup 3 already over..it comes up in the list but wont let me click on it!

this happened to me on the other tour by CLV and I never got play week 6..anyone else having access issues?
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
Is the true sim tour warmup 3 already over..it comes up in the list but wont let me click on it!

this happened to me on the other tour by CLV and I never got play week 6..anyone else having access issues?
I posted on bug section that I was having issues with it too.

Thrangar

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »

I posted on bug section that I was having issues with it too.

I figured it out for me ..if I word search for it, I can not choose it, but if go through all pages an find it I can!
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

ObsoleteNexus

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
Hey Doyley, I am making this the only tour I will be playing and doing so on PS4. So looks like I will miss the first week (which is fine).

What I wanted to check is if you are going to run a Web.com tour like in your other tour. My ego wouldn't be bothered playing in the lower division, and would be preferable, to feel like I am in with a chance with fellow competitors my own skill level. It also gives you something to progress to, to improve and make it into the PGA league proper.
Courses Created: (my ranking)

Old Turramurra: Est 1878 HD
Manjimup Golf Club
Clifton Golf Club Final

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2014, 07:08:47 PM »
Hey Doyley, I am making this the only tour I will be playing and doing so on PS4. So looks like I will miss the first week (which is fine).

What I wanted to check is if you are going to run a Web.com tour like in your other tour. My ego wouldn't be bothered playing in the lower division, and would be preferable, to feel like I am in with a chance with fellow competitors my own skill level. It also gives you something to progress to, to improve and make it into the PGA league proper.

Hi ON, I'll look into doing the Web.com tour - I was going to wait to make sure we had enough people on the leaderboards to make it worthwhile.  If we're only getting 30-40 people playing it won't be worth splitting up the leaderboard.

ObsoleteNexus

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
That makes perfect sense, looking forward to starting this tour on PS4.
Courses Created: (my ranking)

Old Turramurra: Est 1878 HD
Manjimup Golf Club
Clifton Golf Club Final

space-cash