Wind is ridiculous !!

• 174 Replies

zx12

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 12:27:01 PM »
The wind is different on every course, and is constantly changing. If you feel a certain course is not relaxing to play right now perhaps a different one? Something we've discussed internally is showing the projected wind speeds before advancing into gameplay. A lot of other options are in discussion and we do want to continue hearing what works and what doesn't.
Sorry but you do not seem to see the obvious, end user preference on wind as in any other golf game and added to the GNCD for design .
Is this not the best for all concerned.
For Tournaments the Tournament admin sets wind .
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:29:32 PM by zx12 »

bighitter

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »
Dynamic wind is the best option.

When you play in real life you can't set the wind. It is the luck of the draw for that day.

Maybe another option is the ability to set the wind, but then your score will not be recorded for leaderboards. Either play with the dynamic wind and score counts, or set wind and it would essentially be a practice round.

fljon

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »

When you play in real life you can't set the wind. It is the luck of the draw for that day.

Maybe another option is the ability to set the wind, but then your score will not be recorded for leaderboards. Either play with the dynamic wind and score counts, or set wind and it would essentially be a practice round.

I like this. It seems like a fair solution that would please everybody.

bob5453

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 12:52:12 PM »
Could one of the devs state why they don't want wind selectable by the end user? I know it's been like that for pretty much every golf game so maybe it's to be different... But there's probalby a reason everyone is doing it that way too.  It just seems like you could please everyone at once with the option to set wind before you play or you could alienate some by not allowing user to set wind.

Because it will make stats and the leaderboards irrelevant, you'll have clowns playing repeatedly with zero wind to top the leaderboards on every course.

If they kept enough stats, then you could have stats with 0-5 mph, 5-10 mph, 10-15 mph, etc. The game needs more stats anyway.

Many have already stated this solution, if you choose your wind, your scores are not recorded.

Why alienate prospective buyers and players.

Options are a good thing, there are too many people trying to force their preferred playing style onto everyone else.

My TGC 2019 courses
Enchanted Mountain 2019
Roy Rogers Happy Trails 2019
Gilligan's Island Par 3 2019
The Big Valley 2019

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Could one of the devs state why they don't want wind selectable by the end user? I know it's been like that for pretty much every golf game so maybe it's to be different... But there's probalby a reason everyone is doing it that way too.  It just seems like you could please everyone at once with the option to set wind before you play or you could alienate some by not allowing user to set wind.

Because it will make stats and the leaderboards irrelevant, you'll have clowns playing repeatedly with zero wind to top the leaderboards on every course.

I'd prefer wind be selectable if that's the reason.  I'm assuming all the top scores are during low to no wind days anyways.

ErnieTheWels

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 12:54:29 PM »
can any1 show me the button in real life where i choose weather with ???? wind is good as is !
my rig : amd phenom II black edition quadcore 3.4 GHz -8 GByte ram - Nvidia 660 GTX

Stein276

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
Something we've discussed internally is showing the projected wind speeds before advancing into gameplay.

I think the wind is excellent in this game, and the above quote from Rami would be a great feature to have.

bob5453

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »
can any1 show me the button in real life where i choose weather with ???? wind is good as is !

It's on your TV remote, the one that brings up your weather forecast channel. :)
My TGC 2019 courses
Enchanted Mountain 2019
Roy Rogers Happy Trails 2019
Gilligan's Island Par 3 2019
The Big Valley 2019

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

HB_LorinB

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »
Could one of the devs state why they don't want wind selectable by the end user? I know it's been like that for pretty much every golf game so maybe it's to be different... But there's probably a reason everyone is doing it that way too.  It just seems like you could please everyone at once with the option to set wind before you play or you could alienate some by not allowing user to set wind.

This issue something we are watching closely and intend to continue to gather feedback on once the larger group of people have the game in their hands.  I would say, from what I have seen here (and this is just a guesstimite), people are 50/50 on it (choosing wind when you play).  But...our philosophy is that doing so runs counter to creating the real golf experience we are trying to create.  As many people have pointed out, you do not have the ability to choose your wind when you go play golf...and having to deal with challenging winds is part of the game.

Now, that being said, we are listening, and will continue to listen, to people's thoughts on this and if the wind is too high too much of the time.

shawnpeach

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »

Sounds like a great idea!

PSN: Peachezz

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »

While this is certainly a side effect it is not the primary reason. The current global wind system was a response to user feedback that playing live against rivals did not have consistent wind. Previously to the current system, every time you started a round the wind was different.

Having the option for a user to set the wind prior to each round puts us back to the original issue, but maybe as part of a practice mode that is feasible. The ability for creators to set an average or min max is certainly feasible as well and would probably work well with the existing global wind system.

We haven't made any decisions and we want to hear your ideas as they constantly drive our internal discussions.

About a dozen posts happened as I was typing this including lorin :)

Thanks

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »
The best solution is to let the creator set a prevailing wind direction and stregth. NOT to lock it in forever or anything. That's my take anyway. Like... I can say the prevailing wind is from the south and around 8pmh. So...on any given playthrough I could have wind from the south at 8 but then the next time have it from the southwest at 12 or the northwest at 5. RARELY would it be from a totally different dirrection or stregth...but it could still happen.

That's the option I like anyway.
I don't think you need leaderboards for certain wind strengths. You have two. One with dynamic wind and one with user selected wind. Period.

*shrug* I just don't want to see course creators get lazy and I personally want to have a course play differently every time. I won't be using any wind presets when I play I know that for sure (unless it's a tourney or something obviously).

That's my two cents.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »

While this is certainly a side effect it is not the primary reason. The current global wind system was a response to user feedback that playing live against rivals did not have consistent wind. Previously to the current system, every time you started a round the wind was different.

Having the option for a user to set the wind prior to each round puts us back to the original issue, but maybe as part of a practice mode that is feasible. The ability for creators to set an average or min max is certainly feasible as well and would probably work well with the existing global wind system.

We haven't made any decisions and we want to hear your ideas as they constantly drive our internal discussions.

About a dozen posts happened as I was typing this including lorin :)

Thanks

I'm glad you guys are listening and please don't take any of my posts as a tone of disapproval - just giving my opinion on the subject :)

Here's my perfect world wind situation

You take the wind direction from the global wind system (where it's the same for everyone) and the wind speed changes with time (where it changes over the course of a day) and merge the wind speed with the random wind originally in the golf club (within a range).  This way you don't get the same wind for 15-45 minutes at a time and you get wind gusts back in the game.

So for example - say I play a round now and it's 7mph with coming from the North (for everyone) - change the 7mph to be a range from 5-9mph so that we're all getting random wind from the same direction (north) and have the wind change like the old system (multiple times per minute).  Then when the wind changes from 7mph to 6 mph - change the range to 4mph-8mph (or whatever range you deem fit).  The gusts etc that happened after you shot were a great feature of the initial wind system.  Since the global wind direction is the same you only need to change the wind speed to be a range instead of a solid number (in my non-programming mind!) and then have it change speeds as often as the initial wind system.

For Tournaments - being able to select the wind speed (range) per round would be extremely helpful.

I still think giving the end user the ability to set their own wind trumps the need to simulate real world environment.  So if you're keeping a tally throw me in that group.  I don't mind the wind as it is but think the option for people to play a round in the conditions they want when they have a slice of free time in their day should be a higher priority.  :)

Ninja edit - and the suggestion to make those rounds where you override the global wind not count towards the leaderboards sits well with me.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:37:51 PM by Doyley »

Leadbelly

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »
I think I was the first guy to speak out against the new high winds. Before the wind change there were maybe four or five guys I had to worry about in a tournament or tour. And I would say my win average was about 75% then. Now all those guys are long gone, and don't even play anymore. So now my win percentage has gone up to about 95% conservatively speaking. ( played 26 tourneys or tours won 24 sense the new wind ) Now they want to try and make the flop shot harder good luck with that, more will leave. You try and point out an upcoming disaster but people don't pay you a never mind, good luck.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:42:48 PM by Leadbelly »

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »
I think I was the first guy to speak out against the new high winds. Before the wind change there were maybe four or five guys I had to worry about in a tournament or tour. And I would say my win average was about 75% then. Now all those guys are long gone, and don't even play anymore. So now my win percentage has gone up to about 95% conservatively speaking. ( played 26 tourneys or tours won 24 sense the new wind ) Now they want to try and make the flop shot harder good luck with that, more will leave. You try and point out an upcoming disaster but people don't pay you a undermined, good luck.

off topic - but come join the PGA Tour - we'll knock that win percentage down ;)

space-cash