Wind is ridiculous !!

• 174 Replies

Seamount4Life

• golf-beta
  • www.raincitygamers.com
    • Rain City Gamers
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »
I like the filter by wind idea.  Perhaps even a daily forecast.  I believe a lot of the frustration with the wind comes from not understanding how to play well in high winds.  The higher wind used to blow me all over the course until I learned how to tame that beast haha. To be honest, now 15 mph winds is nothing to me. Anything under 10 mph is laughable.  However, I have had a lot of experience with it and I enjoy the challenge of finding the proper club selection, club face/loft adjustment, swing speed, spin control, etc to compensate for the wind.  It is extremely satisfying to me when confronted with high wind and my ball cuts through it like a hot knife through butter because of the choices I have made.  Using course management also comes into play more than usual on a windy day.  You really have to plan two or three shots ahead so you are able to put yourself in the best position for success.  That being said, I understand that some people may just want to relax and just grip it and rip it without much thought or strategy.  Maybe, club up once, aim a little bit left or right and let her fly like they are used to doing.  High winds probably equals a couple less eagles/birdies.  I get it.  So, ya I agree with Seamount4Life.  I think being able to filter courses by their current wind condition would be a fantastic addition.  I also think the wind should be included in the stats.  Maybe a given score would also show with the wind that you had to overcome. Perhaps a stat that indicates the average wind a player plays through in general.  It would definitely separate the brave vs the not so brave... jokes.  FYI. Our forums are moderated for death threats...

+1

And Adam, I personally love that challenge as well. I would hate to lose the global wind option as I find it awesome. But Filtering out courses by wind speed would make a lot of people happy and I appreciate you speaking to my suggestion.

I also think as a community we have to understand that birdie-ing every hole isn't golf. You can shoot 90 but it's that one hole, that one shot, that one birdie that fuels you to come back for more. Golf is rewarding when we are able to overcome the difficulty and have success. That is why it is so addicting for millions of people. If you take that away from TGC then what is left exactly? A Tiger Woods clone without licensed courses, players, gear, modes, etc. It's important for the success of TGC that it remains difficult (And increases it in my opinion). Having choice is good but not if it turns TGC away from it's "Golf Sim" roots.

Jaks53

« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
I agree the global wind should be left alone for the general game. However in a player generated game where you invite friends to play the option to turn on and off or vary the strength of the wind would make the game a more enjoyable experience for those players. Any game where the global wind is disabled would also disable any stat tracking so that all recorded scores, or other stats are only collected when global wind is enabled.

shifty009

« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
Its windy here today... God can you stop it please!  Its a sim!  Plain and simple!  Its not like its hard, adjust for it.  Honestly it takes basically no time at all!
I sleep well with others.

rhino7176

« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2014, 05:47:30 PM »
I think a filter our a daily forecast on the course page would suffice and solve the issue.  The global wind should stay, taking that away will severely hurt the realism and immersion, imo.

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »
The cadillac championship today has 15-25 mph winds, which is unusual.  Watch to get a feel for how it affects the ball. 

Pubknight

« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »
The cadillac championship today has 15-25 mph winds, which is unusual.  Watch to get a feel for how it affects the ball.
On that note.
Imagine if Dustin Johnson was playing in 15-25 mph winds, but J.B. Holmes was playing in 0-5 during the same round.
I really hope round by round winds for tournaments are on their way, as it has a massive impact on tournament play.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
I have never played with the wind MPH on. Not one round. Never had a problem with the wind at all. Maybe more of you should try and play with it off. I bet if you try it you will like it because you get more immersed in the game. It becomes more about feel then math. After a while you can tell what the wind is doing by the sound and the flag noise. Also you learn from you tee shots. Best part is when it changes you have to adjust to it. For me it makes the game that much more fun to play.

That being said there should be a option for the wind. Have the global option and then the other options like TW has had for years. I don't see why it matters when you play ghost balls it is never the same wind anyways.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

The Headhunter

« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
On that note.
Imagine if Dustin Johnson was playing in 15-25 mph winds, but J.B. Holmes was playing in 0-5 during the same round.
I really hope round by round winds for tournaments are on their way, as it has a massive impact on tournament play.

I think everyone has the same wind if they are on the course at the same time.  If you are playing at different times then I don't have a problem with the winds being different.  Using your PGA example, certainly guys who have gone out in the morning wave have experienced different winds from those players teeing off in the afternoon.

My issue is being about to start a tournament and not playing the round after seeing the wind.  It would be difficult to force people to play the entire round because things do come up where you have to leave or sometimes people get disconnected.  It would stink to see them get DQ'd from the event because of that.   What would be nice is if the game somehow locked that wind in for you whenever you decide to return.  Almost as if once you start a round, the wind at that time gets saved and locked to that particular round.  That way there is none of this starting a round, seeing a high wind and quitting out to come back later to try for a lower wind.
My latest courses:
Par 3 Tournament Course at Hunter Meadows
Devil's Whisper
Golf Club at Hunter Meadows
Durham Springs

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2019, 08:48:40 PM »
Another good example of high winds on the golf channel right now.  Winds seem to be 25mph+.

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »
For the next version of TGC, they might want to include prevailing winds.

Here is how that might be possible:
https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/climate/windrose.html

Wind roses are charts for each location that show the distribution of wind direction and strength.  This data exists across the country (US) and I'm assuming the world.  When you design a fiction course or RCR, it would be cool if you could just either select random or enter a region.  If you enter a region, HB would loan the wind distribution pattern from that region.  It would be a one time data query. 

This might be a simpler solution than some type of real time weather. 

space-cash