Wind is ridiculous !!

• 174 Replies

bighitter

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
Another issue with the user setting the wind, and correct me if I am wrong, but the courses are rated based upon the scores of those that have played it, no?

So if I design a course with say a 5-10 mile an hour wind in mind, I may set hazards, pins, etc., in places that may be in response to that wind.

Obviously the wind could be calm and some low scores put up, but on average the wind will be there, and scores will even out.

If players can just shut off the wind, they can shoot lower scores over and over. Suddenly they challenge of getting to that pin is not so high, or that hazard really isn't in play.

Will that not have a negative effect on course ratings?

And I can envision where this will lead to more "tricked up" courses to get a higher difficulty knowing there will be no wind.

Leadbelly

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »
I think I was the first guy to speak out against the new high winds. Before the wind change there were maybe four or five guys I had to worry about in a tournament or tour. And I would say my win average was about 75% then. Now all those guys are long gone, and don't even play anymore. So now my win percentage has gone up to about 95% conservatively speaking. ( played 26 tourneys or tours won 24 sense the new wind ) Now they want to try and make the flop shot harder good luck with that, more will leave. You try and point out an upcoming disaster but people don't pay you a undermined, good luck.

off topic - but come join the PGA Tour - we'll knock that win percentage down ;)

I don't know what tours yours are really. I just look for the lowest shooters. those are the ones I want to play against. I am sure your tours are just fine.

zx12

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »
Another issue with the user setting the wind, and correct me if I am wrong, but the courses are rated based upon the scores of those that have played it, no?

So if I design a course with say a 5-10 mile an hour wind in mind, I may set hazards, pins, etc., in places that may be in response to that wind.

Obviously the wind could be calm and some low scores put up, but on average the wind will be there, and scores will even out.

If players can just shut off the wind, they can shoot lower scores over and over. Suddenly they challenge of getting to that pin is not so high, or that hazard really isn't in play.

Will that not have a negative effect on course ratings?

And I can envision where this will lead to more "tricked up" courses to get a higher difficulty knowing there will be no wind.
Courses made previously to the addition of the higher winds were not designed for it no one could have seen that coming, so if those courses were Ranked Easy they may now be Ranked as Hard because of the scores , yes I do see your point though but I play for fun as the OP does, I think ? the Driver makes about 245 or just a bit more into a 15 mph wind . :(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:26:24 PM by zx12 »

NevadaBallin

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
The wind is different on every course, and is constantly changing. If you feel a certain course is not relaxing to play right now perhaps a different one? Something we've discussed internally is showing the projected wind speeds before advancing into gameplay. A lot of other options are in discussion and we do want to continue hearing what works and what doesn't.

I like the idea of showing wind conditions before advancing into game play.

This is like real life where I know what the wind is before I decide to go play. I usually play real  golf on the spur of the moment these days. Since we have so many courses in this area, there's always available walk ins. Ironically, I won't go if it's really windy (20mph or more) lol.
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

Leadbelly

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 02:24:45 PM »
I have played tournaments on older courses, were you cant even play the course the way the designer intended. Because of the wind you can t even use the fairway your supposed to, you have to drive the ball on some other fairway and then make your approach from there.

zx12

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »
I have played tournaments on older courses, were you cant even play the course the way the designer intended. Because of the wind you can t even use the fairway your supposed to, you have to drive the ball on some other fairway and then make your approach from there.
I do that for fun in this game , but your a Bandit Leadbelly   :) I have seen your awesome scores.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 02:42:20 PM »
I would like to see the following in both the GNGCD and in gameplay:

"Default" Settings

-Prevailing wind direction
-Normal wind speed for the theme

"Custom" Settings

-Adjustable prevailing wind direction
-Adjustable wind speed

For example, if I'm playing a random round or creating a tournament/tour the Wind settings would say "Default" or "Custom" with the description of the wind settings.

-MERACE

bighitter

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
I would like to see the following in both the GNGCD and in gameplay:

"Default" Settings

-Prevailing wind direction
-Normal wind speed for the theme

"Custom" Settings

-Adjustable prevailing wind direction
-Adjustable wind speed

For example, if I'm playing a random round or creating a tournament/tour the Wind settings would say "Default" or "Custom" with the description of the wind settings.

-MERACE

Prevailing wind direction would be very nice. It would be a large help to designing courses.

How about a wind range when designing the course. Then you could have a variable off of that setting. It could become calm for a few holes, or you could have some gusts several mph above the set point.

Leadbelly

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »
I have noticed lately and maybe it just me, but for every tournament or tour were people are playing. There are ten or more that are not played at all. There is a tournament called Vaders Daily Seniors Tournament, the guy puts on one or two on each day. They are always on easy courses were the guys can shoot low, those are the tournaments that draw the most people. That,s got to tell people something, people like tournaments that they can compete in, and I for one sure don't blame them.

bighitter

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »
I have noticed lately and maybe it just me, but for every tournament or tour were people are playing. There are ten or more that are not played at all. There is a tournament called Vaders Daily Seniors Tournament, the guy puts on one or two on each day. They are always on easy courses were the guys can shoot low, those are the tournaments that draw the most people. That,s got to tell people something, people like tournaments that they can compete in, and I for one sure don't blame them.

Does this have more to do with the wind set up, or does it have to do more with people being used to shooting -20 in every single round after years of playing TW?

I would venture a guess that it is more of a preconceived notion that they should shoot really low scores in a golf game.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
I would venture a guess that it is more of a preconceived notion that they should shoot really low scores in a golf game.

^^This! ;) :)

-MERACE

DravenRainrix

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »

Does this have more to do with the wind set up, or does it have to do more with people being used to shooting -20 in every single round after years of playing TW?

I'm actually dreading the influx of people to these forums that have never picked up a club IRL but think they know golf thanks to the TW games.
(IRL i think anything below +5 is damn good for a score.... but seeing as my personal best on my local course is +3 that ight go to show that i'm not very good. lol)

Leadbelly

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »

I play them myself now and again, most of the courses are normal but the greens are pretty flat. So the average guy has a chance to win, I have lost twice in his tournaments. And I was glad for the person that won, it was well deserved.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:17:20 PM by Leadbelly »

aftrshok99

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »

I'm actually dreading the influx of people to these forums that have never picked up a club IRL but think they know golf thanks to the TW games.

I agree with you on all of these and if TGC is supposed to simulate RL golf then you shouldn't be shooting -20 all the time. I'm want a game that plays closer to RL golf and this seems to do that. They never intended TGC to be like TW games. That's my opinion and to each his own.  :)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:42:20 PM by aftrshok99 »
Steam Name: aftrshok99
PSN: aftrshok99

Courses:
The Forum Country Club - Hole 16

In Progress:
WHCC (Local Course)

bighitter

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »

I agree with you on all of these and if TGC is supposed to simulate RL golf then you shouldn't be shooting -20 all the time. I'm want a game that plays closer to RL golf and this seems to do that. They never intended TGC to me like TW games. That's my opinion and to each his own.  :)

I agree.

IMO what made TW get stale real fast was the fact that you had to birdie, at the minimum, every hole to have a chance. It isn't realistic, and it gets boring real fast.

I like the idea of having to earn a birdie. And if I hit a bad shot, have a bad hole, the round isn't over.

More realistic, more enjoyable, IMO.

space-cash