Experimental Autumn Ridge G.C. FPS Invitational

• 6 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:47:57 AM »
Hi everyone tuned into this channel.  I've just created what is being called a "Tour" by The Golf Club, although it's nothing more than a 2 round tournament, spanning 4 days.  I'm calling it an experimental tournament because I'm wanting to use it to gauge various player's experiences on a course that I know from playing on the PC has as solid a frame rate performance, while providing a compelling golf challenge at the same, on the XBox One.  I'm calling it the Autumn Ridge G.C. FPS (Frames Per Second) invitational because it's set at Autumn Ridge G.C., it has had a track record for solid game engine performance on the PC, and I'm inviting you to play in it.

I've already played my first round and my experience in the wee hours of Sunday morning has me scratching my head.  I hadn't experienced frame rate problems at Autumn Ridge G.C. in any of my previous rounds there, PC or XB1 version - I did this morning ???  I'm talking swing interface affecting frame rate issues, the likes of which I'd never even sniffed at this course before.  I don't understand what it is about this game that being connected to the servers drags down to this level.

I can't play Autumn Ridge G.C. offline because it's not a "vetted" course, but do know that I couldn't play Knoll Down online on Saturday morning without serious frame rate issues while connected, but when I played Knoll Down later in the day in Offline mode, it played smoothly.  I hope HBS has a handle on this issue and can get it under wraps because it's really a buzz kill at times.

Anyway, let us all know what your experiences are in this thread while playing the tournament.  I had two, hideous three putt greens from inside of 8 feet due to swing interface frame rate/lag issues  >:(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:04:07 PM by jcauthen04 »
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

J3Y 7E9

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:32:43 AM »
I just played the first round and didn't have any frame rate issue. I found the course somewhat ordinary not to say boring, but that's another matter...:-)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:26:09 AM by J3Y 7E9 »
PSN: J3Y7E9
No training wheels Society

Legioneren

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »
Played first round and had no fps problems. Fun to play against the ghosts,
think it will be real fun to get some tour up and runing.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:08:59 PM »
I just played the first round and didn't have any frame rate issue. I found the course somewhat ordinary not to say boring, but that's another matter...:-)

Thanks for the report, and as I said, I'd not experienced any frame rate problems there until last night.  This course has been my benchmark course going back to when it was created during the closed beta.  I agree that it's ordinary in its cosmetic appearance, but because of that, the realitively low object count and the fluidity in which Joe Habiger created its landscape, it's always been one of the top performing courses in terms of frame rate, while remaining an entertaining golf challenge. 

Hope your second round goes as well as your first!
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
Played first round and had no fps problems. Fun to play against the ghosts,
think it will be real fun to get some tour up and runing.

Legioneren, what would be a good time for you to play round 2?  I'd like to try to be on the course and tee off at the same time you're on to see how having multiple players on the course simultaneously potentially affects the performance.  I'm flexible today, so if you (or anyone else for that matter) is up for it, let me know what would be a good time.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »
I see what I did wrong with the Tour versus Tournament now... user error.  I'll know better next time.  What we have is a two event tour, that consists of two, stand alone rounds at the same course. 

On another note, I was going to try to play another round, but I would get disconnected from HBS every two minutes.  I'll try it later...
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:40:07 AM »
My second round (actually event 2) was played with a fluid frame rate and maybe only one or two situations where I felt like the swing animation rate dropped below 30 fps.  I think I wound up shooting a -5.  I had so many putts that I left 2" to a foot short, but when I'd try to make sure I got it to the hole, I got it to the hole and beyond :-[ 

What have I learned from this tournament so far?  From now on, when I'm going to play a round or two of golf on the XB1, I'm going to perform a cold re-boot of the XB1 just prior to playing.  I've now had three examples where I started a round (not in this tournament) with what was an unplayable frame rate.  I performed a cold reboot of the XB1 (pressing the "power" button on the XB1 and holding it for a minimum of 15 seconds) after experiencing this.  I then turned the XB1 back on, went right back to the same course that 2 minutes ago was unplayably framey, and now it's back to playable frame rate status, for the most part.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash