What's the point???

• 21 Replies

Mjyoung80

« on: August 24, 2014, 10:53:37 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the point of playing/trying to win tours or tournaments. With no rewards, nothing to unlock, career earnings or even accurate tournament statistics, why should I play the events?

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »
you're kidding right?   it's a video game for Pete's sake!    what is a bigger reward than actually winning or placing well in the tourney?

correct me if I'm wrong,   but competing hard and having a nice round is the best reward of all I would think for most of us.        I don't need some fake trophy or Elvis costume to make my drives go 10% further either.   

this game will evolve, but I get the feeling some of you newbies have some homework to do so you can come to grips with the original intentions of this game.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

Mjyoung80

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »
Easy, killer. Seems a bit aggressive of a response. No need to take it personal, just stating an opinion.

Ya, I guess we disagree then. Every real tour has something the players are working toward (ie the FedEx cup on the PGA Tour) and even I have the goal of lowering my personal handicap week to week in real life. Just feels like something's missing.

Hopefully you're right and the game is in fact evolving. If you're telling me the "reward" is having to go and shoot -21 in an 18 hole tourney to "compete" with these clowns who play 18 hrs a day, then I guess it's not for me.

Mjyoung80

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Even just some accurate career statistics would be nice. I've played a couple dozen rounds and my stroke average is still even.

bilbosmeggins

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »
I think the whole ethos of the game centres around "Club".  Which, to me at least, seems to imply that the game of golf is played for the sake of enjoyment rather than a means to amass wealth/status, as would happen at my local club. 

As regards competing with the players that virtually live on the course, I'm sort of with you there.  But HBS are talking of implementing a handicap system so that may be able to level the playing field out at some point.  Or maybe tours could be set up that preclude certain global ratings from entering, either to keep the standard high, or low and accessible.

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
Easy, killer. Seems a bit aggressive of a response. No need to take it personal, just stating an opinion.

Ya, I guess we disagree then. Every real tour has something the players are working toward (ie the FedEx cup on the PGA Tour) and even I have the goal of lowering my personal handicap week to week in real life. Just feels like something's missing.

Hopefully you're right and the game is in fact evolving. If you're telling me the "reward" is having to go and shoot -21 in an 18 hole tourney to "compete" with these clowns who play 18 hrs a day, then I guess it's not for me.

No man,  it's not aggression toward your likes or dislikes at all,   I'm just in love with trying to have a good round so scoring well and improving seems very appropriate considering the atmosphere surrounding this game thats all..      The niche this game has is a unique one,  the feeling I get from it is relaxing and addicting.   Some of those other things can be added to the game and probably will, but the way it sits I can have a blast playing turn based with friends and its one of the better experiences I personally have ever had..

All they need to do now is implement a live lobby system so we can get realtime chat with the gameplay :)     To me, this is where the game excels, because its social with a very laid back feel.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

clemmo

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:35:51 PM »
its a golf sim not a arcade game. I don't think winning something will make any difference
its all about having fun.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:03:49 PM by HB_LorinB »

TatezMcgatez

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I VERY much enjoy this game but after weeks of constant play and no reward I will soon become bored. So for you people that think you will be able to play round after round of xbox golf with no reward and not become bored..... I pray for you.

Mjyoung80

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »
I VERY much enjoy this game but after weeks of constant play and no reward I will soon become bored. So for you people that think you will be able to play round after round of xbox golf with no reward and not become bored..... I pray for you.

Haha now THAT is exactly my point, Tatez. Seems a bit monotonous is all I'm saying. And it's NOT real golf, so I think everyone needs to stop comparing it to that. I get that it's a sim, but there's a difference between sim video game and reality.

Dr Eagle G

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »
Yeah agreed. Some sort of career mode, or even some depth to the Tour mode would help a lot. Call me fickle, but did like upgrading my golfer with new clothes/equipment and watching my name move up the rankings in TW. Here you finish a tournament and...nothing.

Also I like the way everything is based on skill and not power-ups, but the differing types of equipment is a massive part of golf in real life.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
Yes - I would like to chime in here too.  We have many players who have many different things they look for from our game.  Some prefer a very easy outing, others prefer it to play very hard, and with no aids.  Some people only want to play mutiplayer and others prefer to play alone.  Then there are those who will spend almost all of their time in the Course Designer.  People want different things when playing The Golf Club....and that is ok.  The desire for some sort of progression makes perfect sense and is not uncommon.

To that end, you should know that we absolutely already recognize that one of the opportunities we have to expand (and, for some, improve) The Golf Club is by creating more of a sense of progress (not attributes) in the game.  I can't talk about it yet, but we are already working on something that is aimed at exactly that.  Hopefully that will be enough for you right now but please know that, beyond the fact that we are already working on something...we are also always listening to the feedback. 

Dr Eagle G

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
Sounds great. We appreciate the continued work on the game!

TatezMcgatez

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:50:47 AM »
I understand you are working very hard on pleasing every single one of us and I would like to say thanks for that Lorin. Your awesome! I have seen you post on almost anything in regards to you on this forum and Kudos to that. Keep up the amazing work and dedication!!!!   :D

Mjyoung80

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »
Wow, I'm extremely impressed with the response and level of engagement from the HB staff. Great stuff. I really appreciate someone not only listening, but responding to the players' thoughts.

Overall, I love the game, and as a golfer and fan of golf video games, I want The Golf Club to succeed, especially considering the fact that it has a course creator, which I think is really revolutionary. So, one of the reasons I appreciate having a place to give feedback, is hopefully give the players a chance to help the game succeed. I think anyone who says they plan to play the game as is (as good as it already is) for more than, ah say several weeks, is a bit of let's say an "outlier" lol. I think some added depth will go a long way to help the longevity of the game. Give people a reason to play beyond just playing (like getting better and tracking that improvement).

I am cheering for you and the game, and looking forward to seeing an already solid foundation of a game evolve and improve.

Thanks!

green18

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »
I think if the tools to set up custom tour standings similar to what is happening with spreadsheets outside of the game that would be incredible.  The greatness in the game comes from the community and I am impressed with what people have created with fed ex point systems and the like.  The only progression I need to stay glued is trying to improve my rank. 
xbox GT:  xfaktr

space-cash