Course Creator question.

• 10 Replies

Gasman

« on: January 22, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
Anthony

I just got a question about elevation change when using the course creator,Is there a maximum limit?
I'll give you two examples to clarify my question:

Par 3 110 yards,tee box elevated 30 feet above the green.

Par 4 440 yards,green elevated 40 feet above the tee box.

Will the course creator deal with these examples.

Thanks in advance....

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
Yeah, those wouldn't be a problem.  There will be a limit for the course overall, but it will be several hundred metres at least.

Gasman

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
Thanks David...can I ask one more quick question.
ALL golf video games that I've played previously have a fairly limited boundary line around the hole in play,meaning a poor tee shot would be declared OB.Due to the fact that TGC renders the complete course will we still have this scenario.
My question is that if I hit a poor tee shot that lands on an adjacent fairway can I play the ball where it lies,or will I have to replay my tee shot?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:43:04 PM by Gasman »

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
You'll be able to play that shot.  Currently you can play a shot from anywhere that's inside the editable course area (a big square,) and not under water.   We may end up adding OB areas around certain buildings/obstacles, but only where it would be realistic.

Gasman

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
Thanks again....this really is a huge step forward that the HB Dev team are making....FORE!!!

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 11:36:10 PM »
David:

You stated that there would be limitations placed on elevations.  I was also wondering if limitations would be placed on other components of the course design. 

Specifically, I would hope that their would be realistic minimum distances from tee to green.  I foresee some players creating courses with all par 3's or 150 yard par 5's just to pad their statistics.  ::) :(

-MERACE

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
One of the gameplay guys might be able to answer this better, but the general philosophy has been to not limit creativity when creating courses.  Instead we've tried to formulate our statistics in such a way that there's no advantage to playing an easy course.  You'll see low par score for your round, but so will everyone else, so you won't shoot up the global leaderboards.

I wouldn't play par-3 courses all the time, but it would still be cool to see some quality ones being built.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 01:28:42 AM »
David:

I appreciate the need to not limit creativity as well as occasionally having a little variety in playing an all par 3 course.  I am just hoping that the leader board will  be reflective of golf statistics seen on the PGA Tour and not some statistics from another universe.  ::)

-MERACE

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 07:13:12 AM »
Hi there, without going into too many details yet, we store course specific leaderboards in addition to global leaderboards. We recognized early on that we didn't want to limit course creativity and this was the best way to support and combat it, so it's always an even playing field for everyone when it comes to leaderboards.

Big Mutha

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
Will this be on the Xbox 360 as well?

Mordeus

• golf-beta
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
I'll pop in a question regarding OB; will the user be able to specify areas that are to be OB? e.g. if you wanna bait players to go for a tough shot, while risking ending up OB f.ex? Ofc you could add a piece of water, but thats not always aestheticly pleasuring ;)

space-cash