course creator questions

• 28 Replies

WindyCityWizard

« on: January 23, 2014, 10:48:55 AM »
I guess everyone is using their TW forum names, so I'll do the same.  :)
First impressions....WOW!!
Anyone who knows me from the TW forum knows that my main love of golf games is the courses and golf course architecture.
The ability to create our own is going to have me seriously considering getting a ps4.
I have a few questions, was hoping a dev could give a quick answer to. Thanks in advance!!  :) :)

1. Video shows 5  course types: Alpine, Fall, Links, Plains, Desert. Will there be others too when the game comes out, or just those? Some ideas, for example: swamp (like a southern U.S. kind of course), mountains that aren't snowy, tropical jungle, tropical beach.

2. I imagine this is already answered in the other thread that a dev states you can take a blank slate and go from there, but if you let the computer make a course, can you change the direction of the holes? I know you can lengthen/shorten holes, but can you change their directions too (like if hole 8 goes N/S, can you change it to go E/W?

3. Is there a fixed amount of courses you can save on your game, or can you save as many as the ps4 hard drive allows?

4. If I downloaded a course created by another user, will it stay on my game forever, even if the original creator deletes it?

5. Can I edit a course that I downloaded that was created by another user?

Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »
I guess everyone is using their TW forum names, so I'll do the same.  :)
First impressions....WOW!!
Anyone who knows me from the TW forum knows that my main love of golf games is the courses and golf course architecture.
The ability to create our own is going to have me seriously considering getting a ps4.
I have a few questions, was hoping a dev could give a quick answer to. Thanks in advance!!  :) :)

1. Video shows 5  course types: Alpine, Fall, Links, Plains, Desert. Will there be others too when the game comes out, or just those? Some ideas, for example: swamp (like a southern U.S. kind of course), mountains that aren't snowy, tropical jungle, tropical beach.

2. I imagine this is already answered in the other thread that a dev states you can take a blank slate and go from there, but if you let the computer make a course, can you change the direction of the holes? I know you can lengthen/shorten holes, but can you change their directions too (like if hole 8 goes N/S, can you change it to go E/W?

3. Is there a fixed amount of courses you can save on your game, or can you save as many as the ps4 hard drive allows?

4. If I downloaded a course created by another user, will it stay on my game forever, even if the original creator deletes it?

5. Can I edit a course that I downloaded that was created by another user?

Some of your questions are still TBD, but:

2. You can pick up an hole and rotate it, or just move the tee/green around freely.

3. This depends on the platform, but the courses are designed to take up a small amount of space, so you'll be able to create lots of them.

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »
Thanks for the answers.
This sounds/looks like it will be a pretty cool game. Looking forward to more details.
Lot of questions from all of us I know, but that only means we have a lot of interest! :) :)

Hopefully there will be a blog or something showing us the different types of elements we can use, such as different types of trees, flowers, grasses, waste bunkers, different types of bunkers..............

One other question, can the bunkers be shaped too?
Both in height/depth, and also the size of them?
For example, Sawgrass has really long sand traps that run the entire length of the fairway. Are things like that an option?

I figure water can be shaped, by adding/subtracting land (like in the video).

Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:59:30 PM »
For example, Sawgrass has really long sand traps that run the entire length of the fairway. Are things like that an option?

Yeah, we already have some courses like this, but unfortunately I couldn't find any of them in the public videos/screenshots.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:55:22 PM by Dave McFarland HB »

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 01:09:46 PM »
Awesome. Thanks!! :D :D :D
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »
I posed a question to one of the people affiliated with the developer in another forum (Golf WRX) about how I would go about recreating Quail Hollow CC from scratch.  Their reply was very helpful and may answer some questions that others have, so I'll link and quote the applicable portion of their reply here:

Hi JCat, yep, that's pretty much it. You'd be able to call it Quail Hollow if you like. So you could rearrange where holes are placed, raise and lower topography using various brush shapes and the like. I've not seen it myself but the team say they managed to recreate their local course in Lunenburg pretty accurately. You should be able to get it close enough to be recognisable. The creation tool is really excellent, just keep in mind it does have its limitations and needs to be user-friendly for both console and PC. The courses you see in the screenshots have been made with the same tool as the end user will have, although the team have the benefit of having used the tool for the last year in its various guises.

You start off with making a procedurally generated course using certain criteria, eg; how many holes, how many par 3s, low/medium/high number of bunkers, low/med/high density of trees, that kind of thing. Quickest way is in three clicks, but you can go a little deeper. Within a couple of seconds, the course is made. Then, if you want to, you can go in and move holes around, pull around doglegs, raise/lower terrain, add traps/objects, etc, change time of day, lighting, and so on. People will have their own idea of what is considered "close enough" to a real course, but I think we'll meet most people's expectations - this will be easier to judge once people start using it during the Beta testing so don't hold me to it just yet. And we plan to support this for a long time after launch, and will respond to user feedback where we can, so the tool will only get more powerful as time goes on.

And here's the link to the forum thread: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/957751-hb-studios-next-gen-golf-game-the-golf-club/
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »
Yeah, that's correct. The only thing I'd add to that is that you can start with a completely blank terrain and add holes one by one.
I've found that generating a course first off is better for me.
I then grab holes, rotate, re-size and re-shape as needed then

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »
This all sounds really amazing.
Thanks too for adding the text from the other forum, Cauthen.

I know from the video that from the main menu you can take the slider and have more/less trees for the whole course.
1. From there, you can take particluar holes, and add/subtract more trees, sand, water, etc? (so some holes have lots of trees, some don't)

2. Can you also edit the course in the whole course layout view? Say the course has a big lake affecting 4 holes. Can you shape the lake in the whole course layout view, so then it would affect 4 holes at once, not having to do 1 at a time?

3. Is it true then, when we get turn the game on (after having made/saved our own courses), we'd have all these options:
A. Play a course that came on disc, B. play a course we made/saved, C. Hit the generate button and get a brand new course.
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Anthony Kyne

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
1. Yes - You can place all these individually as brushes or let the generator do it hole specific or course wide change

2. Yes, everything is in the whole course layout view. You can then zoom the camera in to make it more specific to the hole you want to manipulate

3. A - Yes, B -Yes, C- Yes and also Play other courses that other users have published

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 03:10:45 PM »
I know from something I read on the site that the computer makes it so holes 1, 9, 10, 18 are near the clubhouse.
If we edit/start from scratch, is that required, or can the holes be anywhere?
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Anthony Kyne

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
No that's just a rule it used to initially create the course. After that you're free to do what you like

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 03:27:28 PM »
Thanks for the responses, Anthony!
I now have a few months to come up with some cool courses in my head/on paper, and knowing some of the groundrules is most helpful.

Two things I would love to see on the site are:
1. Something showing the different elements we can use (types of trees/flowers/grasses/rocks/waste bunker stuff)
2. If there's more than the 5 course types, what will they be?
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Anthony Kyne

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »
I'll see what I can do with a list. It's quite comprehensive!

We're going to release with 5 themes, but we have plenty of ideas in our heads for added themes after release.

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
If you wanted to make a course similiar to Sawgrass or Pinehurst, what would you use then? Plains?
Or what about a course in a tropical place like Hawaii?
Can elements be used across the board? Like a Links course with a lot of trees (like some of the holes at Pebble Beach)
I imagine some people would do wild stuff like put a cactus in the middle of the Alpine course. Is that a possibility, or are the elements type-specific, like cactuses only allowed at desert courses?
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »
I imagine some people would do wild stuff like put a cactus in the middle of the Alpine course. Is that a possibility, or are the elements type-specific, like cactuses only allowed at desert courses?

I can see people creating "fantasy" courses like what you described above.  I prefer "fictional" courses since they resemble courses that I would play IRL.  I hope that when the courses are published for sharing that there be a mandatory labeling of the course: Real, Fictional, or Fantasy

-MERACE

space-cash