course creator questions

• 28 Replies

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »
I imagine some people would do wild stuff like put a cactus in the middle of the Alpine course. Is that a possibility, or are the elements type-specific, like cactuses only allowed at desert courses?

I can see people creating "fantasy" courses like what you described above.  I prefer "fictional" courses since they resemble courses that I would play IRL.  I hope that when the courses are published for sharing that there be a mandatory labeling of the course: Real, Fictional, or Fantasy

-MERACE

I agree 100%.
I would like fictional courses too.
What I was getting at was I figured there's some elements (tall grasses at Links courses) that could be used in other settings.
My cactus in the mountains was purely an example of "can we mix elements?" figuring that was pretty extreme, but it gets the point across.
But yeah, some people will make some wacky stuff.
Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Chairman7w

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
Is there an option to provide our own "background" image?  (like the mountains on your Alpine course)

Like, say the game has a requirement that it be 1200 pixels high by 5,000 pixels wide, and it must be a .jpg, and beyond that we can provide our own.
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong, and I get on as a looper.  A jock, a caddy..."

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »
The background is actually a live background. It's the last played course

Chairman7w

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 06:01:49 PM »
I'm sorry, I meant in the course you design.  Or, I guess I should say that "we" design.  Could we design our own course, and provide our own background image.
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong, and I get on as a looper.  A jock, a caddy..."

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »
You can create a 'thumbnail' for your course by flying around and taking a picture.  The thumbnails are used when you're looking through a list of courses.  After you've selected a course, the background behind the menus is the course itself, shown from a series of cinematic cameras.

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
I think you're referring to the mountains in the distance. That is not a background image, that's actually a full 3d terrain, unfortunately the course creation video wasn't looking up when time was being modified or you would have seen the light affect on the mountains/clouds.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
I think what Chairman7w was referring to was the pano (panorama).  In older PC games (Links, TW PC) designers would create their own panos which I believe were 2D so that would not work in The Golf Club.

I'm guessing that creating your own textures, panos, objects and inserting them into the course creator is not an option for the first release of the game.  I can only see this as feasible with the PC version of the game which then could be shared and played in the console versions. 

Also, I read somewhere that HB Sudios is using Unity as their base engine for the game.  Is that correct?

-MERACE

Anthony Kyne

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:16 PM »
Yes Unity is the Engine.

Oh, sorry misunderstood about about the background. Yes as Dave said, the mountains in the distance are not flat 2D skyboxes, they're full rendered mountains within the 3D world. This allows the clouds and sun to react with them realistically, giving you rays of light through gaps, etc.
Dave actually coded all that, it's very impressive!

instigatordj001

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 02:27:56 AM »
I've built courses for the Tiger Woods series since 2005. Ive used a program called terrain assist which uses Digital elevation Models (DEMs) and high resolution imagery to create a very close rendition of real courses.
Will your course creator be able to handle DEM import? Or will one be required to do all the elevations from scratch?

Seamount4Life

• golf-beta
  • www.raincitygamers.com
    • Rain City Gamers
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 03:20:50 AM »
Can you add in cart paths?
Can you add Bridges over water?
Can you dd Benches, Ball Washers, Restrooms type buildings?
Can we add Fountains to bodies of water?
Can we add Houses that surround holes? Streets/Roads, Cars etc? Build neighborhoods around the courses?
Can you make an Island Green

Sorry lots of questions and thanks if you can answer them.

Anthony Kyne

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
Yes to all of them apart from houses at the moment.
The objects are continually growing though, they just take time to make

fungolfer

• German Golfers CC
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »
What about a gravity option? A Ball should react different in the mountains than on the beach. Distance, bounces everything should be a bit different. I would love to create a course starting in the mountains and finishing on the beach, so every hole should play a bit different... That would be a blast of an option :)

Big Mutha

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
What about a gravity option? A Ball should react different in the mountains than on the beach. Distance, bounces everything should be a bit different. I would love to create a course starting in the mountains and finishing on the beach, so every hole should play a bit different... That would be a blast of an option :)

Wow...you live under power lines ?

fungolfer

• German Golfers CC
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
How did u find out? You work for the NSA I guess? LMFAO!

space-cash