Adding Fairway/Rough Question

• 12 Replies

killz4twinkies

« on: August 28, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »
Looking for some guidance here (didnt see it posted anywhere else).. I might be misunderstanding this tool...

Some holes where i want to add a patch of rough across the fairway so i go to the 'add rough' tool - select my shape and brush it over fairway except nothing appears.  Get the same result when i go to 'add fairway to extend the fairway into the roughs (i am playing on ps4).  Should the fairway/rough be extending into my painted area or am i totally misunderstanding this.

Thanks in advance!!

guitardude_324

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
There is a "Trumpfactor" as John from HB says.  Certain terrains will always appear on top of others, or will trump each other.

Bunker
Green
Fairway
Rough
Heavy Rough
General Terrain (desert, dirt, trees, bushes, etc.)

Bunker always overwrites green, green overwrites fairway, fairway overwrites rough, etc.   So you cannot place a layer of rough over top of fairway.  You just have to build two separate pieces of fairway.  It's not ideal, but I think it's the only thing the game engine will allow.

When in doubt, consult the tutorial videos on the game website, or you can find the videos on youtube.  The one you're looking for is Creating Surfaces: Part 1, I believe.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 07:36:47 PM »
they key for me is to create using smaller brushes in areas where I may make a change. then I just delete them and redo the fairway to get the look I wanted in the first place.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Tcviper86

• Twitch Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:17:34 AM »
Ive had the same problem though yesterday and followed the tutorials.  It still didnt work.  I layed my hole down and for some reason the fairway wouldnt extend the entire length of the hole.  Half way down the fairway there was a large patch of light rough.  I then tried to lay fairway over the light rough.  It didnt work.  I placed the brush over it and i would hear the ding noise and nothing would show up, only light rough.  I think there are some bugs still witb the system.
Society: 3 Puttin' For Par (PC & PS4)
Twitch: TCViper86

Mitchblue

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »
Ive had the same problem though yesterday and followed the tutorials.  It still didnt work.  I layed my hole down and for some reason the fairway wouldnt extend the entire length of the hole.  Half way down the fairway there was a large patch of light rough.  I then tried to lay fairway over the light rough.  It didnt work.  I placed the brush over it and i would hear the ding noise and nothing would show up, only light rough.  I think there are some bugs still witb the system.

I can't get fairway over light rough or heavy rough. So if it's suppose to work that way it doesn't..

Edit: Disregard..the creating surfaces pt. cleared it up for me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:55:56 PM by Mitchblue »
PSN ID:  Mitchrapp29

LandArchGamer

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:57:40 AM »
I have the same problem as TCViper. 3 of my holes on my current WIP have strips of rough that can't be covered.

guitardude_324

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
This link should offer a little more information on your problem and how to fix it.

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=2302.msg25332#msg25332
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

CuseHokie

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »
Looking for some guidance here (didnt see it posted anywhere else).. I might be misunderstanding this tool...

Some holes where i want to add a patch of rough across the fairway so i go to the 'add rough' tool - select my shape and brush it over fairway except nothing appears.  Get the same result when i go to 'add fairway to extend the fairway into the roughs (i am playing on ps4).  Should the fairway/rough be extending into my painted area or am i totally misunderstanding this.

Thanks in advance!!

If all else fails, set your widths to none for all of the brushes for that hole and manually add them (via add surfaces?).  I've done that a few times, especially for a desert hole where I wanted to remove all grass and make an "island fairway" so-to-speak. 
PSN:  CuseHokie

splattherpunk

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:38:15 PM »
So, is the best way to add the heavy rough first then the light rough and then top it off with the fairway?

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
So, is the best way to add the heavy rough first then the light rough and then top it off with the fairway?

yes and no. If you do this then make the heavy rough BIG so you get good coverage. Then if you need to delete a brush and go back to tweak it and make it smaller you're good to go. I hav eno idea if that made sense or not...but oh well. HA
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

CuseHokie

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:15:55 PM »

I'd maybe do it backwards.

Decide where you want your green and fairway... then just add rough and heavy rough after that.

Even if you paste a big piece of rough over the fairway, the fairway supersedes for its outlined area. 

Give it a try and you'll pick it up.
PSN:  CuseHokie

avizz1017

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »
I start a course with no holes fairway set to 0 rough settings also at 0. I then make a fairly large area of large rough then i use the brush tool to create my bunker. Then i use the fairway spline tool to draw around the outside of the bunkger . Make sure you leave enough room around the bunker otherwise the fairway will eliminat the rough around the bunker. Make sure you smooth the spline after laying it down. You will probably have to do some other adjustments to smooth the fairway around the bunker so that it looks even all the way around. Done :-)

avizz1017

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »
Here is a phot of the effect on my previous post

space-cash