The Golf Club - Press

• 78 Replies

Golfer

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »
John Cauthen for those who do not know him or, of him, is one of 'The Good Guys' A very long time active member of many golf forums going back 15 years. A true intelligent, Gentleman. He has always been behind the scenes gathering and sharing information for the golf community. His insight and desire to play the best golf game ever, is second to none. Never a harsh word in any forums and I believe, even if a 'Captain' isn't needed, Cauthen would represent this community and it's interests with honesty, integrity and pride. I would gladly give up my spot on the team for John.
These thoughts are not as 'random' as they might appear.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »
John Cauthen for those who do not know him or, of him, is one of 'The Good Guys' A very long time active member of many golf forums going back 15 years. A true intelligent, Gentleman. He has always been behind the scenes gathering and sharing information for the golf community. His insight and desire to play the best golf game ever, is second to none. Never a harsh word in any forums and I believe, even if a 'Captain' isn't needed, Cauthen would represent this community and it's interests with honesty, integrity and pride. I would gladly give up my spot on the team for John.
w

He's also known as Columbo by some of us.  ;)

Seriously, I concur with Golfer on everything he said about John.  John also wrote many excellent comprehensive game reviews for a sports gaming website.

He has a passion for virtual golf games and would surely make a good beta tester for TGC.

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »

You guys... (I'm blushing, but thanks!)   To get the thread back on track, another highlight of the Riding the Pines interview with Peter Garcin to me was his response to the question about cross-playability.  He made it clear that cross-sharing and cross-play have been a priority in the game's design from the get-go, but I could tell he's still concerned about how the affected platform's networking restrictions could potentially impede at least part of what HBS is trying to accomplish with this.  Still, if HBS can pull this off according to plan; The Golf Club will be looked at as a turning point in multiplayer gaming.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:25:01 PM by jcauthen04 »
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Coda1850

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »

Second the above. 
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

Huckleberry

• golf-beta
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 12:11:48 AM »

Consider me informed.  Nice to meet you John.  :D
"I think an eagle would've tasted sweeter...I haven't tasted eagle...but, I'm just sayin'."

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »
Hey John,

It's an honor to meet you. I look forward to your analysis of the videos and screen shots, as well as additional info is released about this game. I hope HB Studios would consider making you a full fledged moderator for these forums. Lastly, maybe give you in that capacity some inside info that you can discuss with us.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
Guys, thanks... I'm humbled.  You are all opening my eyes to things I haven't considered or noticed about The Golf Club.  We've got a good group think going here, which I think will be an asset to the game.  Moderator?  This forum doesn't need a moderator.  I think everyone has conducted themselves with civility and as long as everyone moderates themselves, I think the forum will be healthier.

Meanwhile, I had another listen to Peter Garcin's interview on "Riding the Pines" today and picked up some things I missed on the first listen.  For example, I didn't know that what we now know as "The Golf Club" was on go *before* HB Studios' got word that Tiger Woods '15 got nixed.  I don't know how HB Studios is structured, but if that hadn't happened, I would imagine that some of HB Studios' resources that are now working on The Golf Club would have been siphoned off to work on the EA Golf game they would have been contracted to develop.  We might not be talking about a revolutionary new golf game this early ???  IMO, things worked out for the better.

Peter's response to Glen (the sportsgamerblog.com interviewer, who by the way really knows golf games and does a very professional job with this interview) confirmed my biggest area of concern for the game as it stands; its "legal" ability to support cross-play.  You can tell that Peter still has some reservations about answering questions about cross-playability in the unconditional affirmative, and honestly, I can't blame him.  They are sailing in uncharted waters with this notion.  The way I understand it, HB Studios' servers would be acting as an active mediator between XBox Live and PSN, while allowing PCs to tap into that same 'network' from an infinite variety of indepenent avenues.  I bet there's a lawyer or two licking their chops over putting this through the wringer though :D 

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
Hey John,

Thanks for the further insight of Peters interview. I think the problem might stem from MS Xbox Live because their was a game last year called "Defiance" by Trion Worlds and they wanted to make the game cross platform (PS3, Xbox 360, and PC) and MS said no way, but Sony had no problem with it. I hope in this new generation of game consoles that all sides can come together and do what is best for the gamers. I have a PS4 and will be buying this game on the PS4, but I'm excited to play with friends and fellow gamers on the Xbox One and PC. I pray that this can be worked out for us to enjoy cross play, because no matter what system you play on were all gamers and we just want to have fun.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »
Graf, I was unaware of the situation you describe with "Defiance".  I'll have to do some research on that.  The only difference I see there is it was PS3 and 360 involved, rather than PS4 on Xbone.  No doubt that set a precedent for Microsoft in "live" cross-play.  The trump card that HB Studios may have in this case is that the interaction between the two systems doesn't necessarily have to be in real time.  How long would the telemetry from one player's shot have to stay on HBS' server before it's considered "archive" data that Sony's server could "download" for example?  1/2 second, 1 second, 3 seconds?  I could stand a 1 second lag when playing in multiplayer groups online.  We almost have that now anyway.

One thing I haven't thought about is handling chat between PSN and XBox Live.  IMO, this won't be as easy to manage.  It would have to be by a chat mechanism that HBS would have to build into the game, I would think.  We'll see what they come up with, but yeah, if I was playing a head to head round with someone else on another network, I would still like to have a chat link available, at least as an option. 

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Huckleberry

• golf-beta
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 09:30:26 PM »
One thing I haven't thought about is handling chat between PSN and XBox Live.  IMO, this won't be as easy to manage.  It would have to be by a chat mechanism that HBS would have to build into the game, I would think.  We'll see what they come up with, but yeah, if I was playing a head to head round with someone else on another network, I would still like to have a chat link available, at least as an option.

That's a good point.  I hadn't thought of that.  I don't think I have ever heard of an example in gaming of cross-platform chat.  Have you?
"I think an eagle would've tasted sweeter...I haven't tasted eagle...but, I'm just sayin'."

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 03:30:13 AM »

That's a good point.  I hadn't thought of that.  I don't think I have ever heard of an example in gaming of cross-platform chat.  Have you?

Hey Huckleberry,

Trying to get cross chat between PSN and Xbox Live will be challenge. HB Studios will need to try to address this at launch or shortly after. I want to chat with friends and new people I meet whether they are on PS4, Xbox One, or PC.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »
Polygon interview with Peter
http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/1/5364822/the-golf-club-hb-studios-ea-sports-interview

Hey Anthony,

Thanks for the link to this great article with Peter. I keep saying again and again that I appreciate all the tremendous effort you folks are putting into this game. Please remember to pass on a huge "Thank You" to your team. We golf gamers are so excited to play The Golf Club.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

Huckleberry

• golf-beta

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »
Here's another interview with Producer Peter Garcin with the good folks at Operation Sports:

http://www.operationsports.com/features/1784/the-golf-club-interview-with-executive-producer-peter-garcin/

They also stated at the end of the interview to apply for the PC closed beta and mention for special consideration if you're a member of Operation Sports (I have been for several years).  This interview was probably conducted prior to the close of the beta signup.

-MERACE

space-cash