Wind

• 9 Replies

fitzync

« on: September 02, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »
Am I the only one that finds the amount of wind a little excessive in general? I have found a couple of course with 4-5 mph winds, but most are 11-15mph. Maybe where I live in the mountains of NC we don't get the winds other place do.

Simodinhio

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »
Agree, more often than not there's high wind. I understand the system implemented is meant to change the wind on an on going cycle. However it seems a little bit extreme for my taste atm. Its  not much fun aiming 15 yards left or right of the target every shot

mebby

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
I guess I sort-of agree and sort-of don't agree.  I LOVE that we can't control the wind.  And I LOVE that the wind will vary several miles/hour during a single round but I DO tend to agree that the wind is often too high on a regular basis.  Seems like 5-7 would be more the norm and 12+ would be less normal just as 1mph would also be less normal.  Kind-of a bell curve.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

anserman

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:28:44 PM »
I played in 25 mph winds (constant) yesterday

So it happens - with that said this topic has been beaten to death here :)

Acrilix

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »
I think the wind in this game is probably stronger more frequently than real life, but this is needed in a video game to balance the fact that many things are far easier to accomplish in a golf game when compared to real golf, such as swinging a golf club correctly. If they made the swing as difficult as real life then most players would be hacking and would not enjoy the experience at all. ;)
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

Simodinhio

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »
I totally agree with the method implemented, I just wish it was a bit less windy. When you play a tournament, if a player starts his round and sees he has high wind he can just log out and wait for a better time. I feel to stand a chance of winning this is what I have to do too, rather than struggle along when my opponents played in milder conditions. I guess the best of both words would be to make tournaments have a set wind on each round for all players. I know you will argue in real life that players will have different wind throughout the day and its luck of the draw. But in real life they don't have the option of waiting for it to calm down, like in this game.

SweetTeeBag

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:16:28 PM »
I totally agree with the method implemented, I just wish it was a bit less windy. When you play a tournament, if a player starts his round and sees he has high wind he can just log out and wait for a better time. I feel to stand a chance of winning this is what I have to do too, rather than struggle along when my opponents played in milder conditions. I guess the best of both words would be to make tournaments have a set wind on each round for all players. I know you will argue in real life that players will have different wind throughout the day and its luck of the draw. But in real life they don't have the option of waiting for it to calm down, like in this game.

It should be set as a standard wind for the specific tournament you are playing so its fair game for everyone.

Bruinboy

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:45:37 PM »
If you live in Nebraska or Hawaii the winds are about right ... even a little mild!

LT_RAVEN_CLAW

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 05:07:43 PM »
I find sometimes its a lot or to much. I like that it does change from round to round, and there is no setting for high winds or calm winds. I
like that to.
My Courses:

Steppingstone Golf Club
New Steppingstone Golf Club
Little Round Top G & CC

mebby

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »
I've thought about the wind issue in tournaments but... I settled on the fact that I actually like that it can be variable from one person to another.

If you're in a tour/league/whatever you'll hear about people struggling with the wind in their rounds while others had an easier fate.  It simulate real life to me a bit and just adds another dynamic.  I'm also fine if people want to try to wait for better conditions for tournament play too - just a part of the strategy.  But for me - I just play what I'm given because my playing minutes are numbered... I've got a son who turns 2 on Halloween and a 5 month old daughter so there's PLENTY to do in the Turner household these days besides drinking beer and playing some golf on the PS4! :)
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

space-cash