Red brush or blue brush?

• 6 Replies

Acrilix

« on: September 04, 2014, 05:03:56 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that red brushes should only be used on unprepared land, and for land with layers such as fairways, bunkers, light rough etc. you should always use only the blue brushes?  ???

by the way, the title of this thread is also a tongue twister!!!  :o
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

bob5453

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
I have been using only the blue brushes. If I ever get a fairway that doesn't appear, then I use the red brush and raise god knows what as nothing appears except my hidden fairway. Place the marker on tees before choosing the sculpting brush and it will give you the blue brush. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but it has worked great on a course I am making that I have spent about 80 hours on so far.
My TGC 2019 courses
Enchanted Mountain 2019
Roy Rogers Happy Trails 2019
Gilligan's Island Par 3 2019
The Big Valley 2019

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »
I don't use red at all. I don't see the point of them any longer. The Blues do the same thing...so why take a chance at having to redo something because the fairway is missing or something? Nope.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Acrilix

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »
I've been wondering if the use of red brushes on prepared land is the cause of the ball disappearing underground, and golfers legs sinking into the ground that some people have reported on some courses.  ???
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 12:25:11 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that red brushes should only be used on unprepared land, and for land with layers such as fairways, bunkers, light rough etc. you should always use only the blue brushes?  ???

by the way, the title of this thread is also a tongue twister!!!  :o

yea thats not a bad way to approach it although you can use the red height brush if you want.

Under the hood, the shaping of the land has 3 steps that happen.  The lowest layer is the red hills, which is what you have if theres a blank slate in front of you.  Then fairways will even things out so you get a flat-ish fairway/green, think of cutting a path along a side of a hill or a mountain.  The final layer is the blue brushes for height editing, which is applied on top of any fairway/green modifications.

The red brushes are found under Editor Menu > Terrain > Sculpt.   
The blue brushes are found from the Sculpt Land option in the contextual menus when editing surfaces (Editor Menu > Edit Holes)

Heres some images that hopefully show the effects I'm talking about and how the fairway/green will interact with the various hill brushes.  The first is a hill created using the red brush with a fairway running over it, the second is a similar hill created using the blue brush with a fairway running over it.

ReinierK

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
Thanks for explaining that, it was hard to figure out why my red brushes stopped working near holes, but now I know ;-)

I actually only use blue, it's just so much easier because it's more predictable I find, but I might give the red ones a go to just do some basic preparation for a course (before laying out the holes).
Not currently playing.

blueorfe

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
Yeah, thanks for the explanation HB_Paul.  :)

I didn't have a clue and only used the blue brushes. Now the red ones make sense.
Steam -  blueorfe
PSN    -   blueorfe

i5 4690k 4.1Ghz
MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
MSI z97 gaming 3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W
DS4 Controller
Windows 10 pro 64 bit

HGD Twelve Bridges Tournament Edition
HGD Walkers Heath Park

[img]http://i.imgur.com/