Still can't get 100% shots

• 31 Replies

ReinierK

« on: September 05, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »
So I'm still battling with my shots not going to 100% and I'm certain that it at least has some relation to the course I'm playing.

Let me elaborate: this morning I quickly played one of the "kapow" courses for the achievement and no matter how fast I would swing, I would always drive at 89%. I even rammed the stick forward so hard, that I had to use my whole hand instead of my thumb with no result.

I tried this 10 times and all of them ended up being 89%. That's not very random.

Now this might be an issue with my controller (I use a Logitech Chillstream), so I will install the Xbox drivers tonight and see if they work together (and hopefully fix the problem), but I would still very much like to see a sensitivity setting in the game.

I know HB is not in favour of this (I'm still unsure why), but it would certainly help my issue.

Nothing is more frustrating than doing a bunch of calculations, only to see your shot going 20 yards short because it just won't go full power.

I'll post my results of the drivers this evening!

Cheers,
Reinier
Not currently playing.

Acrilix

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Power has always been one of the things in golf games that has always been made far more difficult than it really is. I mean, when in real life, have you swung a club and thought damn, I swung that softer than I meant to!!? In real life I could NEVER accidentally swing my club with 80% power if I was attempting to hit it 100%. It just wouldn't happen. In games it does. Whether it's 100% or 10%, you can always produce it relatively easily in real golf. It doesn't necessarily produce good results, but that is always down to bad judgement, or bad control, rather than an inability to control your muscles to produce the correct power.
Also, taking a little power off in real life is easy, it is the control that is the hard part, but in golf video games it has always been, and still is, the hardest thing to do. ???
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

HB_LorinB

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »
Hey Rainier -

the swing power has nothing to do with how hard you jam the stick forward.  It is all about the relationship between the speed of the backswing and the speed of the downswing.  And nice even stroke, with briskness to it will get you a lot farther then jamming the stick.

As for the rest...yours is the first Chillstream I have heard of being used in the game.  Please let me know the results after you install the drivers you mentioned.

Thanks.

ReinierK

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
I will certainly post the results, I hope it makes a difference.

So far I haven't noticed any relation between the backswing and the downswing to be honest. The club always goes fully back, except when I really, really slowly pull it back (as in: take over 5 seconds to pull it back), otherwise I see no difference. I can also hold it back for a few moments before starting my downswing with any real noticeable difference (whereas in real life you'd never do that without losing power and a whole lot of accuracy).

What Acrilix posted is true: in regular golf you can't really play a "90%" shot so to speak, sure you can take power off your swing, but in general you'd just use either a different club, or shape your shot, because it's all about consistency.

Anyway, I'm okay with a percentage based shot, if that's what the game requires, but it's frustrating when the game simply doesn't do what you tell it to do ;-)

If required I can film myself playing, so you can see if I'm just a terrible player (I'm not in other games), or maybe something really is up with the shot system :-)

I've played the TW games as well and the 2013 version had a really nice swing mechanic, where there was also a relationship between backswing and downswing and I can't remember ever having a real problem with that mechanic.
Not currently playing.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
Can you tell me the FPS you are getting when you play, and at what resolution on what PC specs?

ReinierK

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »
Is there a way I can see it natively in the game? I'd rather not install fraps.

It certainly is under 60 (for comparison, most other games on ultra settings, like FarCry3 run a solid 120+ FPS).

I play on 1920x1080 with high details (from the dropdown) and default settings in the game.

My specs are:
- Intel i5 quad core 3.4 Ghz
- 16 GB Crucial RAM
- Radeon HD7950 3GB
- 240 GB SSD
- 1 TB regular HDD

So you could say it's a high end system, so I'm a little "surprised" by the overall performance of the game. ;-)
Not currently playing.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 05:05:22 PM »
No..there is no way to see natively in the game.  But I have the exact same set up and run it at the same settings and get 38-48 fps and a swing that is consistent using the wired xbox 360.  Framerate shouldn't be your issue then. 

Let's see what happens with the drivers.

ReinierK

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »
Alright, I will report back later on that!

Little off-topic though: but what a set-up like ours, 38-48 FPS is really, really low. Is that just a limitation of the Unity engine?
Are there any plans of maybe switching to an engine that is more capable?

I know a little bit about gaming engine workflows, so I realize this is not a minor thing (if at all possible), but if you can't hit a solid 60 FPS on a high-end system, then something's up ;-)
Not currently playing.

ReinierK

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
Also: thank you for all your feedback and patience, it can't be easy when everyone always has something to complain about ;-)
Not currently playing.

ReinierK

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »
As promised, the results of installing the Xbox software:

I couldn't see any significant change, apart from most of my irons shots on the fairway being 100%.

I did find an interesting thing though: I haven't had a 100% shot off the tee, regardless of the club. So either a driver shot or an iron (par 3) shot, they all ended up at 89% or 90%. That is suspicious.

I'm close to giving up, I shot a really good round: -15 on Little Brook, but none of my drives were 100% and on one hole (18) all of my shots were 90%, regardless of club and lie.
Fun fact is that since the latest patch I'm having graphical artifacts pop up and one hole (17) was completely unplayable as there were vertices all over my screen (looked like vegetation models blown up), here are the worst ones:

Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B40NAP42P0wAcFlhZXVaUl81SWc/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B40NAP42P0wAS2xrbDAyeUxmRFU/edit?usp=sharing
Not currently playing.

ReinierK

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Just posted the video showing what's wrong:

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B40NAP42P0wARlF2SHVxdXJKUjQ/edit?usp=sharing

If this can't get fixed then it's been a hard $35 lesson for me I'm afraid :(
Not currently playing.

ReinierK

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »
Some good news: I partially resolved the problem by resetting all the settings in all menus to the defaults, it seemed to have eliminated the problem in regular games.
The bug is still there in the course editor (I can't get 100% shots in the editor for some reason, which is a nuisance when trying to place strategic hazards), but at least it looks like it fixed it in regular games!
Not currently playing.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »
Hey Reinier -

SO, firs tof all...I deleted the thread you started with the video since you posted it here and we are working here.

Second, I am glad that it has, at least, partially resolved, and in the regular part of the game.  I am logging it as a bug for our QA to look at.

And to your question about the FPS, it is partially because of Unity and partially because of the amount of objects that need to be rendered simultaneously.  Also, I would barely consider our rigs high-end anymore (sadly).  The graphics card I have is over 2 years old, and even then was not top-of-the-line.  There are people who are getting 60fps, or more, out of the game...just not us, on high :)  It is a very GPU intensive game, for sure. 

ReinierK

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 01:20:10 PM »
Just replying because the bug has returned, but now it's stuck at 91% for me (yay, a 2% increase!).

Another thing I've noticed is that the game performs progressively worse when I restart the 1st hole over and over again.
Because of this annoying bug, I only hit 100% about 10% of the time, so I have to restart courses over and over again to even get my first shot right. This leads to worse and worse FPS over time. Memory leak perhaps?

Anyway, I'm done with this issue, the game is broken and I've tried anything within my power to try and get it to perform on an acceptable level, but it's just not happening.

Also maybe our rigs aren't "high-end" compared to the best stuff you can buy today, but it's definitely a high-end gaming system. If I can run modern games on Ultra at 60+ FPS, it's high-end. The fact that this game performs substantially worse with about 5% of the graphical quality doesn't make my system outdated, it makes the game poorly optimized ;-)
Not currently playing.

ReinierK

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
Last weekend I took the effort of backing up my entire system and do a complete clean install from scratch.
I have installed the game again and it's the same issues all over again, I'm frustrated beyond words that I have spent $35 for a game that's so incredibly broken.

The power percentage is 100% related to framerate / frame-drops, I consistently get under-powered shots on certain holes. I asked my wife to take a look with me, because I wanted an outsiders view.
I replayed a certain hole over and over again, with different shot speeds and 95% of the time I got the same results: 89% here, 91% there, and the exceptional 100% (usually close to the green).

She didn't believe I was able to consistently hit at 89% or 91% power, that would have been super-human if that was on purpose.

I'm done with this. The lack of support on this matter is staggering, even though many more people have the same issue (just look at the PS4 forum).
Not currently playing.

space-cash