Still can't get 100% shots

• 31 Replies

tastegw

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 04:34:08 AM »
have you tried fine tuning the in-game display settings to give you a better smoother experience?

not all courses are equal, i find myself adjusting the in-game settings all the time for best game play.  i do not mind lowering the settings to be sure to get good frame rates.

ReinierK

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »
The game is already visually behind, so to speak.
On the default settings I never hit 60 FPS, which is an engine problem, as I get 120 FPS in demanding games like FarCry3 and battlefield (or any other game for that matter) on ultra settings.

And I will certainly not adjust settings on a course-by-course basis, that's ridiculous to be honest.

Thanks for the help though, it's not personal, I'm just incredibly disappointed by this product and I feel cheated out of $35.
Not currently playing.

tastegw

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
Not sure why ppl expect 60fps on every game, it's not even reasonable.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 09:49:33 AM »
Last weekend I took the effort of backing up my entire system and do a complete clean install from scratch.
I have installed the game again and it's the same issues all over again, I'm frustrated beyond words that I have spent $35 for a game that's so incredibly broken.

The power percentage is 100% related to framerate / frame-drops, I consistently get under-powered shots on certain holes. I asked my wife to take a look with me, because I wanted an outsiders view.
I replayed a certain hole over and over again, with different shot speeds and 95% of the time I got the same results: 89% here, 91% there, and the exceptional 100% (usually close to the green).

She didn't believe I was able to consistently hit at 89% or 91% power, that would have been super-human if that was on purpose.

I'm done with this. The lack of support on this matter is staggering, even though many more people have the same issue (just look at the PS4 forum).

Reinier -

I am sorry you are feeling so upset about this.  However, the issue you see people discussing relative to the PS4 is not related to your issue and, nine times out of ten (or more) the people with swing-power issues on the PS4 are able to achieve full power with practice.  Yours is an issue, I believe, to be related to your specific controller (as I have said before).  You are the first person I have had using that particular controller, that I know of.  And while you may think this is a common issue...it is not.  As I said, I am fairly sure it is related to your controller.  I am not saying that significantly low framerates can't effect power in a swing (they can).  But from our previous discussions, it doesn't seem you are having significantly low frame-rates, are you (below 30fps)?

I want to help you with this, I really do.  But we are a very small team and, right now, we are working on bugs that are effecting thousands of players.  We simply aren't able to chase a bug that is effecting one specific controller, right now.  But, as I stated earlier in this thread, I have logged it as a bug and we will look in to it just as soon as we can.  I understand that that is not what you want to hear, and I am sorry....but it is just where we are right now.  We are doing the best we can.

I am curious, have you tried another controller or practiced with the mouse and keyboard? 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:52:17 AM by HB_LorinB »

ReinierK

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:16 AM »
Thanks for the honest reply.

I have no way of telling how many FPS I'm getting, but it's far below 60, that's for sure. My best guess would be around 40 on most courses and lower in the editor.

I did try the mouse swing, but it's incredibly hard to not draw/fade a shot with it, simply because of the way I'm used to holding a mouse.
Also holding down a button and "swinging" with the mouse is not very pleasant for me, so I'd rather not go to using the mouse.

I have not tried other controllers as I do not own other ones, but I do use this controller in other games like FIFA and never had a problem with it.

Again, I understand you're a small team and I know how priorities work, but I'm also a paying customer like anyone else and I currently have a game that's unplayable. I don't mind a challenge (heck, it's the reason I was thrilled there was finally a simulator golf game), but I can't adjust my style of play to "oh, I'll probably get the 89% shot on this hole, so let's club up", you'll understand that's not an option.

I've said this before, but I think a really simple solution would be to give people some form of calibration and/or sensitivity setting, so they can tailor their swings to their likings. Some people might enjoy ramming the stick continuously, whereas I prefer to have a more smooth back- and downswing like the Tigerwoods 13 for example.

Anyway, I'll obviously keep an eye on the patches and try it here and there, but to be completely honest: I don't think the performance will dramatically increase any time soon. Maybe Unity is not up to the task
Not currently playing.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
Yeah...at 40 fps framerate would not be effecting swing power.  A suggestion, if you want to try with the mouse...is to use a mousepad with wrist support on it.  I find it helps me keep a straight swing.

And, just so you know, I know you are a paying customer and we want you to have the best experience you can.  And we will look in to it as soon as we can.  But this is a very specific third-party controller, with fans actually built in to the joystick (maybe this is effecting something).  It will require vary specific attention and, as soon as we can, we will look at it.

tastegw

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »
You do have a game that's playable, the hardware you chose to play it with is out of anyone's hands but your own. Giving players the option of calibrating controllers to how they like it would not be a good idea, then half the players would simply take out an axis to give them the ability to always hit strait.

Back to your controller, do yourself a favor and try one that the game was optimized for such as xbox, that would most likely get you back to hitting 100% power.

This day and age, too many ppl pass the blame on to others for problems they experience, when dealing with issues like you have brought up. They refuse to accept that maybe the problem is on their end. 

ReinierK

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »
I appreciate your opinions, but let me touch on a couple of points:

1. "the hardware you chose to play it with is out of anyone's hands but your own". That's correct and that's the situation for every game developer, so this is not some kind of special situation.

2. "then half the players would simply take out an axis to give them the ability to always hit strait.". Good point, but you can already do this by calibrating the controller in windows or with 3rd party software/drivers. There's different way of calibrating and I'm just asking for _some_ way of changing it in the game because obviously, I have to ram the stick forward if I even want to have a chance of hitting 100%. I don't have 3rd party calibrating software installed, so I can't do this natively in Windows, but maybe I should (and be possibly blamed for "cheating" down the road).

3. "do yourself a favor and try one that the game was optimized for". I won't go out and buy a new controller just because one game has an issue with it. Besides, I'm fairly sure it's not the controller itself. As I said I never had a problem with it and it responds fine in the game itself except on certain holes/courses. That's a fairly solid indication that it's not my hardware that has an issue.

4. "too many ppl pass the blame on to others for problems they experience". That may be, but my issue is very real, I even recorded a video of it for HB to show that it really is the game and not me. I don't know what else to do but beg for a solution.

To reiterate:

1. I can play any other game fine with my controller, even TW games, absolutely no problem at all.
2. This game's performance is very, very bad compared to other games which are much more demanding. Even GTA4 runs better and that's the epitome of a terribly optimized game (as it's CPU dependent, rather than GPU).
3. Because the issue surfaces on certain holes, where performance is below average AND in the editor (where the performance is even worse when playing a hole) it is more than reasonable to put 2 and 2 together and expect the game's performance plays a role in this issue.

I will just wait until a fix is in place, until then I'll just go play something else and take this as a loss.
Not currently playing.

ErnieTheWels

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
i have the extrem opposite atm, every shot dead str8 and 100 % power since yesterday again . didnt change ANYTHING for mouse/keyboard. tried driver updates, checked settings.....no clue why.same with my speedlink-pad...95% dead str8 ....please check .
my rig : amd phenom II black edition quadcore 3.4 GHz -8 GByte ram - Nvidia 660 GTX

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
Tbh i think HB should program the game to only use official ms/sony controllers and we wouldn't have any of these issues,3rd party controllers have a sensitivity issue that we have seen,and other people "not all"not calling anyone out here before anyone jumps on what i'm saying is the mouse players who up there dpi so you only have to move the mouse less than an inch for a full swing and calibrate the x-y sensitivity so that it hits starigt and makes it extremely hard to deviate from the line.

My old 360 controller stopped working ,and i bought a new one only £20 for an official ms 360 controller ,not that expensive if you are going to get alot of use out of it,and it solves alot of problems.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:35:20 AM by Jimgem »
i7 4790k 4.40Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H100i (AIO)
MSI GD65 gaming m-board
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 12:12:34 PM »
I have a logitech f310 that has all the same issues as the OP. My XB1 controller hits 100% effortlessly. It's the controller and how the game communicates with it paired with your specific PC that is the root of the problem.

ReinierK

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
I have found an external calibration tool from Logitech that I will try out tonight, maybe that sorts out anything.

I feel like I'm endlessly repeating myself here, but it is absolutely NOT the controller. I have tested it with other games and I have no issues with is whatsoever. Besides, the calibration reports are all perfectly fine.

The fact that it occurs on specific holes when performance is lacking (read: low FPS) is a 1-on-1 translation to not being able to hit 100%.

Id do hit 100% on some shots, holes, and courses, but it fails on specific ones. This is a clear indication that it's not my controller.
Not currently playing.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
I feel like I'm endlessly repeating myself here, but it is absolutely NOT the controller. I have tested it with other games and I have no issues with is whatsoever. Besides, the calibration reports are all perfectly fine.

Id do hit 100% on some shots, holes, and courses, but it fails on specific ones. This is a clear indication that it's not my controller.

The game is the root of the issue but the controller is the part you can control and fix (switch out)  I have a Logitech controller that can't hit 100% and an XB1 controller that does it easily.  My logitech controller used to hit 100% until one of the updates.  It's how the game deals with the controller.  If you had an XB1 controller you'd hit 100% on your PC - I'm almost 100% sure.  So either you wait for HB to get around to looking at it, go grab an official XB1/XB360 or PS4 controller (even PS3 works if you hook it up properly), stop playing, or deal with the bad %'s.  Those are the 4 options I see you having at this point.  I chose to get a new controller months ago and haven't looked back.  Waiting on HB is likely going to take the longest as this issue is low on the priority list. 

Just letting you know I had the exact same problems - been through all your troubleshooting (except for the Logitech calibration tool - let me know how that goes) and decided I liked the game enough to get a controller that it was built around to get the best experience possible.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:07:44 PM by Doyley »

ReinierK

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 11:10:47 PM »
The Logitech tool doesn't exist anymore, so that's a no-go, I just found that out.
Tomorrow I will hook up my PS3 controller and see if that yields anything.
Not currently playing.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 12:24:25 AM »
The Logitech tool doesn't exist anymore, so that's a no-go, I just found that out.
Tomorrow I will hook up my PS3 controller and see if that yields anything.

I used a PS3 controller with great success in game - though it took a bit of tech know-how to get it set up.  Switched to XB1 after it was released with official windows support.  Good luck with the PS3 controller!

space-cash