XBox 360 Controller + PS4 = The Golf Club 2!

• 106 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:53:07 PM »
Folks bear with me just a bit here... I'm so giddy right now I can barely muster the composure to type this message ??? ;D  At long last, I have finally waded through the more arduous than expected task to pair a wired, XBox 360 controller with my PS4, via the CronusMax controller adapter... brothers and sisters, it was worth the aggravation and frustration I had to endure to make it happen!  I have just experienced 9 holes of a marriage made in Heaven - the 1080p, more fluidly animated PS4 version of The Golf Club being controlled with the controller that was tailor made for me and thumbstick controlled golf games - the XBox 360 controller.... c'est magnifique!  :-* ;D

I'm delighted to report that I can perceive no lag whatsoever in making this adaptation, even though two new devices are introduced in the control loop: the CronusMax and a laptop (you could use a desktop, doesn't matter, laptop is handier for me).  Both the DS4 and the XBox 360 controllers have to be connected for this to work, but the DS4 is only there to make the PS4 think a certified controller is attached.  I was missing the fact that they both had to remain connected and that's why I had so much trouble earlier on.  Well, that and the fact that the older CronusMax adapter I have doesn't fit cleanly in the PS4's USB port and really wasn't making full connection, even though the display was illuminated.  I got a USB extension cord and took care of that problem :)  I'm going to put my own guide together for how to make this happen, hopefully in a way that will prevent others from stumbling over the same obstacles that I did.  I'll be posting it in the ControllerMax official forum, but I'll link it here if anyone is interested.

I can't put into words what a difference this makes to me in my experience with the game - it just transforms it to an entirely new sensual dimension 8)  I feel like a 13 year old girl who just won front row tickets to the One Direction concert :-[ ;D 8)

Oh, one other thing... this same process also works with the XB1 controller if you use the USB cable with it, so I'm like the proverbial mule stuck between two haystacks trying to figure out which one to go to next! ??? :D
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
Nice recap John. However, this is what concerns me from the front page of the Controller Max website:

http://controllermax.com/

Full Macro Programming with Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PS3, Includes button presses, d-pad movements and joystick movements. Multi-Combo moves with the click of a button.

Just thinking out loud that some users could use this device to cheat the game. I hope I'm wrong.....
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

wendy445

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 02:28:22 PM »
That's music to my ears, will be getting this very soon, cheers jcauthen04  ;D
PSN naywen
Courses created
The suffolk
The Engish rose
THE HEATHLANDS GC
Crow creek gc
Grand Epson ( Thursday to Sunday pins)
TGC @ THE BAVARO
pinelakes country club
Son Gaul

http://www.tgctours.com/

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
You need to add "XBox One Controller" to the title of your thread.  ;)

-MERACE

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »
Awesome man..  I must say though I can't stand the xbox controller, the ps4 is much better for me....    I think we like what were use to..
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »
Nice recap John. However, this is what concerns me from the front page of the Controller Max website:

Full Macro Programming with Xbox One, Xbox 360 & PS3, Includes button presses, d-pad movements and joystick movements. Multi-Combo moves with the click of a button.

Just thinking out loud that some users could use this device to cheat the game. I hope I'm wrong.....

...and hopefully, those that do will have their scores removed from the leaderboards when HB Studios decides to implement their "cheat detector" system.   ;)

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »

That's the downside of it Tim... it can be used for that.  I haven't tried it, nor am I even interested in trying it so see how it could work.  I know that if you just go with the default, out of the box plug in for it that's available in GTuner, you have a one for one conversion of the DS4 to the XBox 360 controller.  I mean it feels EXACTLY like the XB1 version (on a course that isn't bogged down with frame rate problems).  My scores on the PS4 version of the game will now look like my scores on the XB1 and PC versions... 27 holes of play now have already told me that.  These aren't world class scores by any stretch, but the experience I have in  producing them feels much more familiar and comfortable to me now.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »
Awesome man..  I must say though I can't stand the xbox controller, the ps4 is much better for me....    I think we like what were use to..

If my thumbs weren't as long as Patrick Ewing's, I might be in the same camp.  You wouldn't believe the angle that's created between my left thumb and the left thumbstick on a DS4 controller :o... like I said earlier though, it only seems to be a factor with golf games that use thumbsticks...
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »

...and hopefully, those that do will have their scores removed from the leaderboards when HB Studios decides to implement their "cheat detector" system.   ;)

-MERACE

That is the one thing that could negate the only real downside I see to this. I am doing okay with the PS4 controller using the right thumbstick. I think I am going to stick with this a while and see if I can continue to improve. If not, I may be going for this option as well since I have played thousands of rounds of TW on the 360 and a handful on the PS3 and about 15-20 rounds so far on TGC. My play time is taking a hit as I am in Rio de Janeiro for the next 10 days as well as playing lots of IRL Golf as my love affair with the real game has exploded this year with my handicap being down 12 strokes so far from the first of June.....
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 06:09:34 PM »
Update on my results with the CronusMax/XBox 360/XB1 to PS4 experiment.  I played 18 holes at Knoll Down with the XBox 360 controller and shot 75.  Just finished a round with the XB1 controller and shot 76.  They both felt and responded about the same... I could live with either of them and I would have thought going in I would have preferred the XBox 360 controller. 

The only real downside to the XB1 controller is it's USB to micro-USB cord is only about four feet long, so I have to drag the laptop off the entertainment center and on the floor to work with it... no big deal though. 

This just awesome; I never dreamed this arrangement could work out this well.  Control wise now, I feel no difference between the XB1 and PS4 versions of the game!
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Mitchblue

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
I don't mean to rain on your parade but if you can cheat with this..is this a good place to talk about it? People get ideas and such..
PSN ID:  Mitchrapp29

Quanah

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
I don't mean to rain on your parade but if you can cheat with this..is this a good place to talk about it? People get ideas and such..
Fairly certain it's already happening, to a limited extent.  In a way it's BS, but I prefer to just compete vs myself and the random folks that've send me requests through the board. 

The guys are generally in my score range, so playing vs their ghosts is a pretty fulfilling experience.  I'll never shoot Disneyland scores, so I just disregard those -20 types at the top

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »

Mitch, I'm not ashamed of what I'm doing nor do I consider what I'm doing cheating.  If I go in and start changing the tuning to make it more favorable, then I would deserve whatever is coming my way.  I haven't touched any of the tuning values that admittedly, CronusMax opens up to those who want to exploit it.  However, the default settings are designed to be a pure emulation of the the PS4's DS4 controller.  The only thing that has changed that I can feel is the geometry between my left thumb and the left thumbstick on the XBox 360 and XB1 controllers.  If you want to call that cheating, so be it... I won't argue with you and I'll sit out all official tournaments played by anyone who considers it "cheating".... fair enough?

All I can say is that the PS4 version now *feels* like the the XB1 version in terms of control, but both looks and animates better, IMHO.  The ability to play this game with an XBox 360 and XB1 controller has salvaged the PS4 version for me because of my physical stature and all the years of muscle memory attributable to the higher left stick controller.  So if that makes me a cheater, I'll have to accept it and go play in a corner by myself...
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »
Fairly certain it's already happening, to a limited extent.  In a way it's BS, but I prefer to just compete vs myself and the random folks that've send me requests through the board. 

The guys are generally in my score range, so playing vs their ghosts is a pretty fulfilling experience.  I'll never shoot Disneyland scores, so I just disregard those -20 types at the top

LOL.... I must be doing something wrong in my cheating ways then... I've only broken par in one round out of 3 1/2 in my attempts to "cheat" the system :o ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:51:45 PM by jcauthen04 »
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Mitchblue

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
All I was suggestion was someone could come here and see that you could cheat .. so maybe it's best to not say anything. I know I'm a minority on this..but those are my thoughts.
PSN ID:  Mitchrapp29

space-cash