XBox 360 Controller + PS4 = The Golf Club 2!

• 106 Replies

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »
It is not about me, you are the one not wanting to use the PS4 controller, get an xbox if you want to use their controller.  Ask HB what they think.  I just think using other controller for console play should not be allowed. 

You are using a third party tool to trick the PS4 into thinking you are using the DS4...for me the line is crossed right there.
I disagree.  I think if he were hitting perfectly straight shots every time then I'd agree with you.  But he's not.  If he is and he's still getting the scores he's getting then he may very well be the worst computer golfer ever (no offense JC LOL!) .

And HB has already stated that they are going to sniff out those that ARE hitting the ball perfectly straight every single shot so let's just let them do the policing for now. 

JC has far too much integrity to try and game the system.  He wants to play a true and honest round of golf just like most of us here.

+ 1
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »
It is not about me, you are the one not wanting to use the PS4 controller, get an xbox if you want to use their controller.  Ask HB what they think.  I just think using other controller for console play should not be allowed. 

You are using a third party tool to trick the PS4 into thinking you are using the DS4...for me the line is crossed right there.

Okay, I know where you stand on this now and I'm not surprised this sentiment is out there.  I do understand the basis for your position, but you and I will just have to disagree on whether what I'm doing is cheating.  I have a vested interest here so I'll have to exclude myself from rendering the final verdict.  That will be HB Studios call and any competition who wants to exclude anyone using a non DS4 controller from competing.  I'm perfectly fine with that.  All I can say right now is I'm having the most holistic cybergolf experience on a console video game I've ever had with the PS4/XBox 360 controller, and scoring is way down on the list of why this is so.  Ask DenBroncs2015 how much of an advantage I had over him with my XBox 360 controller while he was whipping my butt by 11 strokes yestday evening  :)

You didn't answer my other question about the Hori PS4 controller.  Would you want those who use it to be banned also?  Again, I'm trying to get a better handle on your legalistic posture with this...
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Nzer

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »
Yes, all controllers that are not official PS4 controllers.  I am not calling you implicitly a cheater, it is not all about scores for me but in the end scores and rounds going on the leader boards using means other than the DS4 controller which I think is wrong.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 01:20:29 PM »
I disagree.  I think if he were hitting perfectly straight shots every time then I'd agree with you.  But he's not.  If he is and he's still getting the scores he's getting then he may very well be the worst computer golfer ever (no offense JC LOL!) .

No, you make a great point mebby... I couldn't have said it better myself!   

And HB has already stated that they are going to sniff out those that ARE hitting the ball perfectly straight every single shot so let's just let them do the policing for now.

I hope they are successful in this.  If they are I think it will prove my point that the only advantage I'm gaining with the XBox 360/XB1 controller is an ergonomic one that lends itself to my anatomy better than the DS4.  I can show you a list of swingpath patterns that are out of the red cone before midpoint, post XBox 360/XB1 DS4 emulation. 

JC has far too much integrity to try and game the system.  He wants to play a true and honest round of golf just like most of us here.

What you're saying is true, but it's impossible to convince everyone in cyberworld of that.  People will always be suspcious and there's enough history to demonstrate why they are.  I want as pure of a play experience as I can get and not have to try to hold a controller body at a 20 degree angle, with what should be resting against my palm then being held by my fingers to set up a thumb to stick angle that feels familiar to me moves me closer to that experience.  I don't feel like I'm "getting away" with anything, but others will see it differently.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
Yes, all controllers that are not official PS4 controllers.

The Hori Asymmetrical PS4 controller I'm speaking of IS licensed by Sony and is therefore an "official" controller.  I can promise you; I wouldn't be able to miss a shot if I tried using that controller if it's anything like the Hori PS3 controller I tried out.  I'm just citing this to show you what a gray area all of this can become.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Nzer

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 01:28:56 PM »
Well then that is ridiculous, if an official PS4 controller can make you hit dead straight every time..then I don't know what to think.   

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »
Well then that is ridiculous, if an official PS4 controller can make you hit dead straight every time..then I don't know what to think.   

And is probably part of the reason they're selling for $65 to $77 on Ebay right now.  Yeah, they're all sold on a Japanese import basis now, but they'll eventually be sold domestically, just like the PS3 versions were.  Here's a listing on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PS4-HORI-Pad4-FPS-Black-PlayStation-3-4-Controller-official-Japan-Import-/121429748651?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item1c45c6ebab

I don't really envy HB Studios and the task they have on their hands with this sort of thing; however, I think they're on the right track so far in trying to apply a metric that doesn't try to identify what brand or make of controller is being used, rather is objectively analyzing stick movement telemetry that is off the norm.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Oblong

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »
John,  I am very interested in your guide on how to get Cronus Max to work on PS4 as I got one this week because I am just like you, I vastly prefer the feel of the xbox controller over the ds4.   It's at the point I am playing the xbox version over the PS4 despite the obvious ps4 advantages in framerates and graphics.

Like you, I have no desire to use it to become the GOAT of TGC and will respect whatever stance the devs decide to take with 3rd party controllers in competitions.  That said, anyone who thinks anything other than a controlled environment with face-to-face organized events will achieve 100% parity is kidding themselves.  The type of TV used can create user advantages,  Internet connection speeds can create advantages, devices attached to official controllers can create advantages, shot charts and mapping can create advantages, time of day played with varying wind speeds can create advantages, and a few other things maybe best not to even discuss.  At the end of the day with no real prize money on the line and only ego at stake I would hate the game become so strict that the majority who just play for fun and relaxation after a hard days work could be off put by not being able to enjoy their spent money for the sake of the few who take the game a little more seriously.  Past experience has led me to believe that the complainers are usually those who even if given some advantages would still not be hanging with the best and they use things like this as an excuse to keep their ego intact.

If video golf ever rose to the popularity to support tournaments like they do with League of Legends or even Madden I believe you would see the same names at the top regardless of what control method was provided. 

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
Fred, I'll post a complete guide later today and welcome to the club. Here's something I can almost promise you'll need, plus it will make it easier on you - a USB extension cable.  It will plug into to your PS4 and will remove any doubt as to whether you're getting a good connection between the CronusMax and the PS4.  The barrel of the CM is such, at least on the model I have, that it doesn't fit cleanly into the tight USB port on the PS4.  Mine wasn't making good connection and that was the biggest part of my problem.

Second, you never disconnect the DS4 from the CronusMax.  It always stays plugged to the USB port on the CM the whole time you're playing.  Your XBox 360 or XB1 controller plugs into your laptop or desktop computer that your using to run the plug-in.  The micro-USB cable from the CM always stays plugged into the USB on the laptop/desktop as well.

It takes a lot of hardware to make this happen and it can get messy.  Once it's in place though, it's good until you're ready to shut down. 

One downside to this... you can't use voice chat with this method.  The CronusMax will not pass audio.  They are working on it but at last report, it still isn't fully functional.  It is at the top of the manufacturers to do list right now.   I may be able to use a USB headset to be able to chat from what I'm reading.  I'll try that later today as well.   

Fred, you're going to be shocked at how smoothly and seemlessly this works though.  I wouldn't have dreamed it would be this pure 8)
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Zamo

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »
Ps4= ps4 controller.xbox1=xbox1controller.pc=not really intrested as they always do as their pleased.hbs= please sort it because you have said you will get shut of players scores if found,not using the right controller.getting alot out of control now.hbs sort this issue please,because ive played the players with silly scores and its getting silly now.hbs have said they can detect.so detect

patcon

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »

The xbox controller is easier for me to use, have tried ps3, ps4, and xbox 360 and xbox 0ne.

Xbox one is more comfortable, still average plus 2 with no beer, plus 4 with some beer.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »
Ps4= ps4 controller.xbox1=xbox1controller.pc=not really intrested as they always do as their pleased.hbs= please sort it because you have said you will get shut of players scores if found,not using the right controller.

Has HB Studios made a statement as to what the "right" controller is?  I've seen them make recommendations for the PC version, but given as there are multiple licensed controllers for the PS4 and XB1, two of which I can guarantee you will yield the players using them more of an advantage than any *perceived* sensitivity advantage the XB1 or XBox 360 controllers are alleged to have.

getting alot out of control now.hbs sort this issue please,because ive played the players with silly scores and its getting silly now.hbs have said they can detect.so detect

I've seen and played against guys posting "silly" scores and I can assure you, most of them were doing it with the DS4 controller. 

Look... if my XBox 360 controller is detected as a "non conforming" controller by HB Studios and they want to ban me or strike my scores from whatever leaderboards of recordbooks in which they might exist... ban away - I'll take my medicine and confine my play to whatever arenas or competition types to which those gamers who are also not playing with the "right" controller are banished  :-*
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

HB_LorinB

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
There is no right or wrong controller.  People use third-party controllers all of the time. 

What we said was that we will remove people from the leaderboards that we believe to be using artificial means to hit straight shots (ie., modded controllers or edging on the PC). 

If you are using a controller that can be modified, but you have not modified it, then we would not disqualify your scores.  I have not checked, but I am pretty sure that if I were to look at jcauthen's rounds, I would not find straight shot after straight shot.  If you are wondering yourself, you can go out and play a round against anyone's ghost.  If you suspect someone of using inappropriate means of playing, you can PM me and I will look at it  (please do NOT post it in the open forums).

Hope that helps clear things up.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »
1.) Power on the PS4

2.) Plug your CM in to the PS4 - It should display - .A, toggling with a .U  If it shows a dot in upper left and lower right of the A and the U, it means the CronusMax isn't properly connected to the PS4.  If you've got a pre, CronusMax "2014" adapter, you'll probably need a USB extension cable.  I bought my CronusMax in April of this year, but it's not a "2014" model.  It was not making good contact and wouldn't work for the longest time. Once I used the USB extension cable to plug into the PS4's USB port, this problem went away.  IMPORTANT: The DS4 controller will have to stay plugged up to the CronusMax the entire time you're using the XB1 or XBox 360 controller.

3.) Plug the DS4 Controller into the CronusMax's USB port, using the USB to micro USB cable that came with the PS4.  The CronusMax' LED display should now show "O" and the DS4's color bar should illuminate.  You should be able to control the PS4 now with the DS4.

4.) Plug your PC/Laptop in to the CronusMax by using the older, trapezoid shaped micro USB port (called the programming port) on the side of the CronusMax.  The cable needed should have come with the CronusMax.

5.) Finally, plug your XB1 (using the micro USB cable that came with it) or the XBox 360 controller to another open USB port on your PC/Laptop.

6.) Download the latest version of GTuner (you may have already done this as it's part of the CronusMax suite).  GTuner version 3.06B is currently the latest and is working great for me.
You can download it here: http://controllermax.com/downloads/.  While you're on this page, you'll also want to make sure you download Firmware version 1.62.  GTuner has a software/firmware updater built into it for ease of use as an option.

7.) Download the template for the XB1/XBox 360 controller here and unzip it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhxfyqxr896xn4j/Xbox%20One_360%20Controller%20on%20PS4.glf

8.) Launch GTuner and in the "Plug-ins" menu, drop down MaxAim-DI.

9.) In MaxAIM-DI, click the "File" drop down menu and select Import Layout. Locate where you saved the XB1/XBox 360 template and select and open it.  You'll see a graphical representation of the controller, which will look the same for both the XB1 and XBox 360 controller.  You should have downloaded both the XB1 controller driver for Windows and/or the XBox 360 controller driver for Windows, depending on which one you're planning to use.

10.) With the template box now open, click the Direct Input drop down menu and select DI Settings.  Click where it says 'No Game Controller Selected' and select XB1 or XBox 360 controller. (If you controller does not appear there, you may need to locate the appropriate windows drivers for it)

Confirm that your controller is working by moving the sticks around and pressing buttons while checking that values are changing on screen, if they are click OK

In its current state, the CronusMax will not pass chat audio through to either the DS4 or XBox controllers, so that's a definite limitation.  If any PS4 gurus know of another way to tap into voice chat, maybe by using the other USB port on the PS4, I'd love to hear about it.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Oblong

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 06:43:19 PM »
John thanks for taking the time to provide all the details!  I can hardly wait to get this going and share the joy you have felt from doing this.

And thanks Lorin for stepping up to give an official HB Studios stance on controllers and what constitutes cheating.   Hopefully that will put the debate to rest and allow the devs to concentrate their efforts on any individuals who may truly be gaining advantages from modifications.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:26:03 PM by Oblong »

space-cash