Yards in Meters

• 20 Replies

bassmeister

« on: September 08, 2014, 08:41:08 AM »
Hi, is there any way of changing yards to meters?

Scaniaman

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »

Why not go into google and get a Yards to Metres converter and then print out a chart. Simples.

Steam Name: Scaniaman
PSN: AFC7071

bassmeister

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »

Why not go into google and get a Yards to Metres converter and then print out a chart. Simples.

Ha Ha, very funny... Not very practical whilst playing the game, is it?

So I guess there is no way of changing the option? Is this planned for the future?

Scaniaman

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »

Ha Ha, very funny... Not very practical whilst playing the game, is it?

So I guess there is no way of changing the option? Is this planned for the future?

It was not was not meant to meant to be FUNNY! I made a mistake OK. I thought you meant the easiest way of converting from yards to metres. Now I realise you wanted to change the settings in game.

simu75

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
Would love to see meters too in the game. Very inconvenient always having to calculate yards, feet and inches to meters an centimeters.

Acrilix

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
It really should be in the game, and I hope they address this soon. Fortunately, I still think in Imperial measurements, but for others, the game can be difficult enough without this added inconvenience. It also adds a greater chance for errors creeping in, as well as the extra time it must waste when playing a round.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

Preschn

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:42 PM »
Yes this would be nice.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »
This is not something we are opposed to, it is just a lower-priority item as the majority of the world plays in yards.  Not saying we won't do it....just could be a while. 

This is my ignorance, but...is it just the Aussies that play golf in meters?  Do other countries (I am genuinely curious).

Zap

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
And with "the majority" you mean USA, GB and Ireland?

I think most other countries measures (and play golf) in metres, naturally.
CCS Zap
Xbox One
Sweden

HB_LorinB

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »
And with "the majority" you mean USA, GB and Ireland?

I think most other countries measures (and play golf) in metres, naturally.

Sorry...this is just what someone told me...I didn't really know.  I thought I read that Australia actually uses meters until the green and then feet on the green....is that right?

Schlitz73

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
While I kind of understand wanting to be able to change it in game to meters, I don't see why anyone would really need to calculate things when the game shows you everything in yards, feet, and inches.  Even if HB used some fictitious system of measurement.... like googaplexes... you wouldn't need to convert it to anything.  The game tells you 146 googaplexes to the hole and your 7 iron carries 140 googaplexes.  The putter hits 110 gigaplexes and you are 25 gigaplexes to the hole.  Easy.   ;)
Don't feed the trolls.  They are on a diet.

Scaniaman

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 12:54:18 PM »
While I kind of understand wanting to be able to change it in game to meters, I don't see why anyone would really need to calculate things when the game shows you everything in yards, feet, and inches.  Even if HB used some fictitious system of measurement.... like googaplexes... you wouldn't need to convert it to anything.  The game tells you 146 googaplexes to the hole and your 7 iron carries 140 googaplexes.  The putter hits 110 gigaplexes and you are 25 gigaplexes to the hole.  Easy.   ;)

When you get to some approach shots and the flag is say 195 yds with a -82 feet drop or you reach a raised green with +45 feet to the hole, then you do have to work out how much you need to add or subtract.

wendy445

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 12:58:49 PM »
Yeah divide googaplexes by 1.8 lol
PSN naywen
Courses created
The suffolk
The Engish rose
THE HEATHLANDS GC
Crow creek gc
Grand Epson ( Thursday to Sunday pins)
TGC @ THE BAVARO
pinelakes country club
Son Gaul

http://www.tgctours.com/

Acrilix

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »

I agree with what you are saying, but if you are used to something in a certain unit of measurement it is human nature to convert it.
Say you travel abroad. You change your spending money before you go and you get 10,000 pu. You go to buy something for 150 pu. I guarantee you will want to convert it to your own currency before you buy it, rather than treat it as a fraction of your pu spending money!!
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

simu75

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 06:00:31 AM »
Most countries in the world officially use the metric system: http://www.zmescience.com/other/map-of-countries-officially-not-using-the-metric-system/

Why the British still use yards in golf is - because they like to be different. No Euros but still the British pounds and they drive on the left.  ;)

The rest of the european countries use the metric system in golf.

space-cash