Can we Produce/Replicate real golf courses?

• 29 Replies

booterboy

• golf-beta
  • Rep. of Ireland
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »
Can we Produce/Replicate real golf courses?
As in Microsoft Links will we have the ability to create objects to add to courses?
Heres a screenshot of my local club in Ireland (Druids Glen),notice the Celtic Cross in the Flower bed.This was created over 10 years ago so am really hoping we can add to a texture/object library.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:39:28 PM by booterboy »
Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 / i7 2600k @4.5ghz /Coolit vantage/ 2x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX670 in SLI, 4008MHz GGR5/Asus xonar dx2/Dell U3011 30''
Silverstone Temjin TJ11-W /Coolermaster 1200w psu/ Corsair vengeance 8gb / WD Raptor 300gb RAID 0/GT Omega race ****pit + G27

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »
You can build what you like, we recreated our local course here in Lunenburg

booterboy

• golf-beta
  • Rep. of Ireland
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »
As always Anthony thanks for the swift reply.
Im talking about objects like small buildings,bridges and various other things unique to courses.
Can we build our own library of textures/objects and can we add logos to flags on pins etc.
I know this is early days and will not be high priority but will course building ala MS Links be possible later down the line.
If so The Golf Club will surely become the greatest Golf game of our time.
Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 / i7 2600k @4.5ghz /Coolit vantage/ 2x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX670 in SLI, 4008MHz GGR5/Asus xonar dx2/Dell U3011 30''
Silverstone Temjin TJ11-W /Coolermaster 1200w psu/ Corsair vengeance 8gb / WD Raptor 300gb RAID 0/GT Omega race ****pit + G27

Anthony Kyne

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Not at the moment but we've built the system so that would be easy to do in the future.

booterboy

• golf-beta
  • Rep. of Ireland
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
That will do me fine Anthony.As I know these are things to add post release,can understand you want to get the base of the game ready.
So basically there's huge scope for expansion from 2015 on for both HB Studios and the customer base.
This is the last you will here from me on this subject (until after release lol).
Again really appreciate the reply,counting down the weeks until Beta.
BTW watched the vid on HB Studios and it's obvious it's not a micky mouse operation,fantastic Studio setting and by the looks of things an expierenced and talented crew.

Dazmaniac

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
As the game is built in Unity, I would hope to see the possibility of third party 3D objects being used on golf courses in the future.

Also regards course design, is it possible to import an image overlay on to the course plot area to act as a reference guide to effectively trace out the holes of the course before applying the textures?

This was possible in the APCD from Links 2003 and I believe the Course Architect with the older PC Tiger Woods games and it is also possible in another golf game that is currently being developed.

Or do we just use a blank canvas and try our best to recreate our home venues?

Seamount4Life

• golf-beta
  • www.raincitygamers.com
    • Rain City Gamers
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 01:52:13 AM »
This is great news, I was worried that there would be some copyright laws that would prevent this. At the very least prevent us from naming it  "Pebble Beach" or something like that.

Anthony Kyne

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »
The building of the objects is ok, it's just that we have to write something within the game to validate what has been made.
We don't want a load of courses that bring the framerate down to 4fps or crash computers.
My belief is that user generated content is the way to make this game last, so it is something we've talked about from the very beginning

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »
Hey Anthony,

Thanks for quick feedback. I look forward to building my own golf courses. I want try to make some of the golf course here in Montana. I do have one question I read somewhere in the forums, someone was asking if we can create golf course near beach's/ocean. I would love to create fantasy course that have cool things like different color fairways and greens, perhaps even Christmas, 4th of July, Canada Day, etc.. theme courses. Also at the "Old Works" golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus here in Montana we have black sand instead of normal sand. It's a quite sight to see. Look it up and it will amaze you.

http://www.oldworks.org/index.php

Fly over of the course:

http://www.oldworks.org/course-flyover.html

Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:53:18 PM by GrafUlrich88 »
Rob H aka Graf

rjn4

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
Hey Anthony,

Thanks for quick feedback. I look forward to building my own golf courses. I want try to make some of the golf course here in Montana. I do have one question I read somewhere in the forums, someone was asking if we can create golf course near beach's/ocean. I would love to create fantasy course that have cool things like different color fairways and greens, perhaps even Christmas, 4th of July, Canada Day, etc.. theme courses. Also at the "Old Works" golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus here in Montana we have black sand instead of normal sand. It's a quite sight to see. Look it up and it will amaze you.

Fly over of the course:

Cheers!!!

Hey Ulrich,

I am in Montana as well. I am excited to replicate some of the courses in western Montana. I think I will be creating canyon river golf course in Missoula for my first attempt at the creator. Old works would be awesome to see on the game as well down the road.

booterboy

• golf-beta
  • Rep. of Ireland
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
''We don't want a load of courses that bring the framerate down to 4fps or crash computers.''
Can understand that you want to keep the quick load times,but if a few objects dramatically drop the fps in a a basic game with one player on the srceen and no moving objects(apart from ball)in the year 2014 then we could be in trouble.
From what I have seen from the vids and screens(which are looking very
nice btw)the graphics with low texture tress and backdrops,plus minimal weather effects should not cause even old gpu's to get any way near struggling.
Can understand the cpu might be a bit strained with such quick loading times and calculations but gpu surely not.
I suppose it depends on the engine driving the game,which should surely be capable of being equal/better than over 12 years ago.Anyway only time will tell.
Hard to judge the graphics of a game by vids and screenshots so hope Im surprised when I get a chance to play.

Anthony Kyne

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
Even the best processors in the world if someone's made something with billions of polygons it's going to slow it down.
It's something we'd need to be strict with, creating an editor or importer at our end is most probably the best solution. It's all for the future though at the moment

booterboy

• golf-beta
  • Rep. of Ireland
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
Even the best processors in the world if someone's made something with billions of polygons it's going to slow it down.
It's something we'd need to be strict with, creating an editor or importer at our end is most probably the best solution. It's all for the future though at the moment
Editor/importer would be the best way to go.Was thinking next year and beyond for a fully working editor that can produce all thats being mentioned in this thread.
Don't want to put the cart before the horse.
Really hope The Golf Club can have the same dominance that MS Golf had.With this forum growing rapidly by the day and with all the buzz starting to generate on other gaming forums,build it and they will come.
Again thanks for the reply Antony,as you realise the course creator is causing the biggest buzz.

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 12:14:38 AM »
Hey Anthony,

Fly over of the course:

Cheers!!!

Hey Ulrich,

I am in Montana as well. I am excited to replicate some of the courses in western Montana. I think I will be creating canyon river golf course in Missoula for my first attempt at the creator. Old works would be awesome to see on the game as well down the road.

Hey RJN4,

In North Central Montana. I'm thinking of some courses in Great Falls myself.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

RobV

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 09:54:36 AM »

Again thanks for the reply Antony,as you realise the course creator is causing the biggest buzz.

I have never created a course using the APCD or the TW editor, but I will most definitely be giving TGC course designer a go...  So, yes you are right booter, guys like me are not only excited about the game itself, but the course designer as well! 
Courses:
The Holy Goat GC
Lakeside Park GC
Milwaukee's Best GC

space-cash