Will we ever see the correct shots being played?

• 20 Replies

Acrilix

« on: September 21, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
I really enjoy playing TGC, and I love the course designer. The only thing that really annoys me at the moment is watching shots by ghosts or by my live playing partners that never actually happened. Last night, playing with two other online players we had over half a dozen incidents where two of us would see something (ball go in/lip out/land in bunker etc) and the other players would see a completely different result. I know this has been reported happening for a long time now, so are we just stuck with this bug for good?
It is really disappointing when you sink a great shot, or miss one, only to be greeted by totally unexpected comments from your playing partners who saw something else happen.  >:(
There has always been a lot of talk on this site about getting a live lobby system in place in the future, but unless this bug is sorted out I really can't see much point in one anyway. :(
Ghosts are the same, though obviously you don't have the chat so the impact is less. Countless times I've seen putts miss or go in, and then their next shot shows the opposite must have happened. The same goes for chips etc. I don't understand how data can be recorded on one computer, and when sent and replayed on another computer, gives a totally different result!!  :o
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

RobV

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »
Wow, didn't even know those things really happened... and that is probably due to me just playing single player all the time. 

The bottom line is, this game needs a TRUE multiplayer system... real time, where 2 or more people can get together via direct connection and either play turn based or all together at the same time..  I really hope this gets addressed at some point soon. 

Courses:
The Holy Goat GC
Lakeside Park GC
Milwaukee's Best GC

HB_LorinB

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:02:18 PM »
Acrilix - what platform are you seeing this on?

Acrilix

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:05:19 PM »
Acrilix - what platform are you seeing this on?

PC.

Another 4 or 5 shots that never happened were witnessed in tonight's 3 player game by 1 or both of the other players. One example was a green-side bunker flop shot to 6 feet of the hole. The two watching saw it sail over the back of the green into heavy rough! There were also a couple of chips that were missed but the other two saw go in the hole.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:54:43 PM by Acrilix »
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

Swamibob

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 03:08:50 AM »
This has been going on ever since I bought that game at early access .6 or .7

I originally thought this was because everyone playing the game did not have the same wind. Since they changed it to where everyone is supposed to have the exact same wind in multiplayer, I thought it may work itself out. Sadly it has not. I really hope that when/if they get the multiplayer lobby up to speed they pass the exact same data to all machines so it will show everything exactly as it does on the players machine who really hit the ball.

I sure hope they have something in the works.

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
I can verify that indeed its not just you this happens to.   turn bases multi player does not show the proper strokes or shot count.   
it also shows shots that didn't happen as you suggested .....

I play despite these issues on the PC but I consider it pretty much broken as do all my friends that play.      seriously,    if this game never implements a standard modern aged lobby system I will consider this the biggest let down ive seen in a video game.    this game being laid back and social just screams for this to be added.   

I know they are fixing the delay a bit and that is great but I'm afraid its not going to be enough.     I will continue to play with my fingers crossed :)
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

Acrilix

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 01:04:24 PM »
I know they are fixing the delay a bit and that is great but I'm afraid its not going to be enough.     I will continue to play with my fingers crossed :)

Actually the delay between shots doesn't bother me as I've been playing Links 2003 on direct IP connection for years, and the delay on that playing 3 player plus the additional rendering time before each shot makes it even slower than TGC's current system on most courses. We are playing a 3 player game in around 2 hours on TGC, which is about 15 to 20 minutes quicker than the average 3 player Links game online.

As to the inaccuracy of the shots, anything in or close to the hole is now always greeted by a confirmation question before commenting on what a great/unlucky shot was played!!  ???
We are still very much enjoying playing the game though, even with these annoying 'spoilers'.
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »

Actually the delay between shots doesn't bother me as I've been playing Links 2003 on direct IP connection for years, and the delay on that playing 3 player plus the additional rendering time before each shot makes it even slower than TGC's current system on most courses. We are playing a 3 player game in around 2 hours on TGC, which is about 15 to 20 minutes quicker than the average 3 player Links game online.

As to the inaccuracy of the shots, anything in or close to the hole is now always greeted by a confirmation question before commenting on what a great/unlucky shot was played!!  ???
We are still very much enjoying playing the game though, even with these annoying 'spoilers'.

I can see how it might not bother you as much considering that is how you're use to playing, but I come from a place that plays Madden,  EA TW, ETC and they have a fast multi player system which really helps when chatting and hanging with friends....  Trust me,  once you get use to that its hard to go back....     For me, it's not the time it takes to finish a round its being able to watch real time and react with my friends just as I do with any other modern game that is put out on the market.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and its one of my favorite games ever put out but I'm so hoping and praying for a live based multi player that also lets us play Skins,  4 ball, and all the other modes...
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »
We have found that there were a few issues with cup physics that we're fixed in the latest submissions to console. We'll get these out on PC soon.
I would say this would solve 99% of these issues.

I'll explain our system to you, just to give you an insight into why you're seeing what you're seeing.
We store every shot ever taken in the score card. To make this manageable from a server point of view we have to keep what we store to a minimum.
1) We store ball start position
2) We store swing data
3) Weather Conditions

What happens then is we apply the swing data to the ball and run the shot again. The bug I think you're seeing was a rounding issue within the physics code that would lead a different outcome sometimes when hitting the cup. This, I believe, should be fixed or at least be minimized from the next patch
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:20:53 AM by HB_LorinB »

Acrilix

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
@Anthony Kyne HB - Thanks for the reply. Hopefully , this will fix the near miss/holeout irregularities we have been seeing which are definitely the most annoying as they tend to be the shots commented on the most.
It won't fix shots like the bunker shot though, which has happened in our last two games. The previous one was a fairway bunker shot that we saw land on the green, but the actual shot finished way short.

On a similar note, there is also a discrepancy between the power % shown to others on pitch shots.
Whenever a player hits a full pitch shot it displays as 100% to the player, but the others watching it after always see it as something around 70%. Presumably the % that a full pitch shot is from a full normal shot? This is a very minor irregularity, but definitely a bug.
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 02:12:32 PM »
Anthony,

Would this issue be eliminated with a multiplayer lobby system?

-MERACE

ajl5313

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »
Anthony,

Would this issue be eliminated with a multiplayer lobby system?

-MERACE

As a parallel to this, I wonder if there'd be anyway to real time multiplayer modes of play *without* a lobby (just with existing friends - which you could find/link up with here on the website)?

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 03:12:21 PM »
Thanks Anthony for your explanation.    Not sure what some of your guys are talking about but when you say lip out, or whatever are you referring to the ball getting stuck on the lip with never any chance of going in?    I must admit,  I've had far too many shots that stuck on the edge of the cup that should at least have a better chance of the dramatic fall in....  Is this what might of been fixed in the PS4 version?   

Also,   I just want to stress to the HBS team that if you guys where hypothetically going to only put out 1 more patch I think one of the most important things in that patch should be a real time lobby system.   As much as I love this game,  it just screams for live play and live chatting amongst friends...   I wouldn't have said this before I started playing it but I'm telling you guys, the more I've played it the more that this feature is #1 to me, even more so than additional themes.   Being 100% honest this is the BIGGEST complaint I've seen in regards to console players and they don't get why this isn't there...  I understand it wasn't in the initial plans but from the feedback I've received it needs to be way up on the list.

I don't think you guys realize the social monster you've created?   This game is a social beast that encourages a friendly non cheating atmosphere which totally lends itself to live multi player games.  As much work as I know it is,  I really feel like this is what will separate this game from being a contender to a champion.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 02:30:21 AM »
I saw two glaring examples of this last night in one round on the PS4 version of the game.  I was playing a ghost player, turn-based enabled round.  On the second hole, my opponents shot lipped out, ran three feet by the hole, then disappeared.  On the status screen, he got credit for making a three, when it was his third putt that I had just seen lip out and run well by the hole.  About four holes later, I watch his approach to a green fall short of the mark, hit the bank in front of the green, and roll back into the water making the familiar "kerplunking" sound.  When his next shot came up after mine, he was 10 feet from the pin and sank the putt for an eagle!?

I recall one other anomaly in this round.  I saw that I had hit my approach to a green to six inches closer to the hole, in a direct line between my opponent's ball and the hole.  I thought "cool", I'll be able to go to school on his putt... when my swing camera view came up, I saw my opponents putt rolling towards the hole from a good three feet to the right, and just behind me.  It takes a lot of the drama out of trying to play this way, because you're never really sure you can bank on what you're seeing happen until you see the final numbers. 
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

sinewiz

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
@jcauthen,,,This goes on all the time. I've had numerous instances where I've seen a ghost player hit an approach into the water and then watching him hit his next shot from the green. Actually happened for the first time to my own benefit last night. Hit an approach that was some 20 yards left of the green into the water and then to my amazement found my self being dropped on the green about 15 feet from the hole. Made the putt and walked away with a par.

If I could get those type of drops in real life I'd still be able to break 80.  :D

space-cash