Pin Placement

• 9 Replies

Coda1850

« on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
Are we allowed to place pins right up against the edge of the greens?  Or is there a yardage from the edge (6 yards?) that we are restricted from using?

Thanks
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »
You can put them anywhere you want.

Coda1850

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  That should help in making sucker pins!  Careful what you shoot for...haa
Golf Golf Golf

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
Do you think you will be able to fix the problem you mentioned you had with multiple pin placements?

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »
Everything's possible Joe, it's just that everything is not possible within certain timescales.
Multiple pin placements have been on our radar since the very beginning of development but there were lots of design issues that needed to be ironed out and coded around. Which would have meant losing other features of tuning time. Our opinion was things like swing mechanics and clean usable controls for the editor were more important for the first release. 

Dazmaniac

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
Anthony,

You state that pins can be placed anywhere on the greens.

IRL, the general rule of thumb (it isn't a rule of golf, but just something that is generally accepted from a fairness standpoint) is that pins are not placed no nearer then 6 ft from the edge of the green. Would it be possible to add a 6 ft wide strip inside the boundary of the green edge, so that pins cannot be placed within this area, so that we don't get pins being placed 12 inches from the edge of the green, resulting in what might be excellent golf course designs spoiled by totally ludicrous pin positioning?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:27:29 PM by Dazmaniac »

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
Our theory on this is that if we make it easy to rate and find highly rated courses we don't have to limit creativity in the course creator.  There are numerous ways you can make a ludicrous course, and if we focused on trying to stop it there wouldn't be much flexibility left.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:59:09 PM »
Anthony,

IRL, the general rule of thumb (it isn't a rule of golf, but just something that is generally accepted from a fairness standpoint) is that pins are not placed no nearer then 6 ft from the edge of the green. Would it be possible to add a 6 ft wide strip inside the boundary of the green edge, so that pins cannot be placed within this area, so that we don't get pins being placed 12 inches from the edge of the green, resulting in what might be excellent golf course designs spoiled by totally ludicrous pin positioning?

As I've stated previously, I'll play almost any real or fictional course but I will avoid almost every FANTASY course.  I expect real and fictional courses to adhere to the conventions of good course design which would include proper placement of the pin on the green.  Dazmaniac's suggestion to "add a 6 ft wide strip inside the boundary of the green edge, so that pins cannot be placed within this area" as a default in the course creator (at least for courses classified as real or fictional) is a good one. 

If someone wants to create a FANTASY  course with pins 1 centimeter from the edge of the green then they should be able to with an edit.  However, the course type should automatically change from real or fictional to FANTASY in the description.  The same thing could apply to other non-conventional course design "features" like a green on a severe incline, trees in front of the green, etc.

-MERACE

Huckleberry

• golf-beta
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 05:12:25 AM »
Anthony,

As I've stated previously, I'll play almost any real or fictional course but I will avoid almost every FANTASY course.  I expect real and fictional courses to adhere to the conventions of good course design which would include proper placement of the pin on the green.  Dazmaniac's suggestion to "add a 6 ft wide strip inside the boundary of the green edge, so that pins cannot be placed within this area" as a default in the course creator (at least for courses classified as real or fictional) is a good one. 

If someone wants to create a FANTASY  course with pins 1 centimeter from the edge of the green then they should be able to with an edit.  However, the course type should automatically change from real or fictional to FANTASY in the description.  The same thing could apply to other non-conventional course design "features" like a green on a severe incline, trees in front of the green, etc.

-MERACE

Another way to solve this issue is to allow comments with reviews.  That way, people will definitely write things like "pins are 2 inches from green edges."  Then you would know not to download it because you wouldn't like it.  Just spitballing :)
"I think an eagle would've tasted sweeter...I haven't tasted eagle...but, I'm just sayin'."

Coda1850

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
I'm big on wanting to play a real or fictional (NOT fantasy) course.  I like the idea of no limitation on pin placement.  I think this will let people add difficulty to a hole, stretch of holes, or entire course.  You don't have to aim at a pin.  Par can be a good score on a hole.

The above combined with a driver yardage of 250-270 sounds awesome.  I'm sick of being able to bomb it super accurate, birdie hole after hole, only to interrupt the string of birdies with an eagle.

BUT... course designers will have to be strategic with their placement.  Pin placement done wrong could ruin your course.  That is why the tool HB gives us to find OUR course type is so very important.
Golf Golf Golf

space-cash