View opponent's shot from your golfer's perspective in multiplayer

• 39 Replies

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 01:03:50 PM »
Adam:

Just to be clear, do you mean being able to cycle more camera presets pre (prior to your swing) and post (replays) shots?  8)

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:29 PM »
Adam, if you ever get the chance to see Perfect Golf in action, they have a replay camera that is facing the golfer about 20 feet, or so, away... it's either called spectator camera or side camera.  Anyway, it's reasonably close to the sort of thing I have in mind for watching opponents shots.  You see the golfer swing, and then the camera pivots to track the flight of The ball.  What it doesn’t do that I would prefer is to cut to a finishing view camera, in the late stages of the flight.  But yeah, seeing that bolstered my desire to see something that would expand on it and be more dynamic in real time.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 03:25:03 PM »
Adam, if you ever get the chance to see Perfect Golf in action, they have a replay camera that is facing the golfer about 20 feet, or so, away... it's either called spectator camera or side camera.  Anyway, it's reasonably close to the sort of thing I have in mind for watching opponents shots.  You see the golfer swing, and then the camera pivots to track the flight of The ball.  What it doesn’t do that I would prefer is to cut to a finishing view camera, in the late stages of the flight.  But yeah, seeing that bolstered my desire to see something that would expand on it and be more dynamic in real time.

I like the sound of that.. Yeah, at least that would make playing multi player in the golf club slightly more immersive...
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
I like the sound of that.. Yeah, at least that would make playing multi player in the golf club slightly more immersive...

It works for me for a number of reasons.  There's just something truly special about watching the ball take its flight from this point of view, and then watching it take its trajectory.  The geometry is different, but different in the right way.  It's like watching your playing companions in real life, where you might be standing 6 or 7 yards away watching them sort of straight on, but slightly behind them (so you're not a distraction).  Your head turns and tracks the ball in that situation and it's an integral part of the real life play experience for me and this replay camera I'm speaking of in Perfect Golf does this fabulously. 

Secondly, it reserves the 'directly behind the golfer swing camera view' to me exclusively, the way it should be.  That helps sell the player perspective just as well as the act of watching your cyber opponents, from a third person perspective that would be representative of where *your* cyber golfer would be standing on the course, while they're playing their shot.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »

It works for me for a number of reasons.  There's just something truly special about watching the ball take its flight from this point of view, and then watching it take its trajectory.  The geometry is different, but different in the right way.  It's like watching your playing companions in real life, where you might be standing 6 or 7 yards away watching them sort of straight on, but slightly behind them (so you're not a distraction).  Your head turns and tracks the ball in that situation and it's an integral part of the real life play experience for me and this replay camera I'm speaking of in Perfect Golf does this fabulously. 

Secondly, it reserves the 'directly behind the golfer swing camera view' to me exclusively, the way it should be.  That helps sell the player perspective just as well as the act of watching your cyber opponents, from a third person perspective that would be representative of where *your* cyber golfer would be standing on the course, while they're playing their shot.

I agree.  You know whats funny?  When I play live rounds with people there are times where I'm ahead of them and get the chance to pan around and watch the ball come at me when they're hitting off the tee and it's awesome! 

I also like the idea of being able to watch the ball come down the fairway from the reverse angle, even though you wouldn't see that in real life in most cases...

It seems to me that the positive thing about games like Perfect Golf coming out,  it should be good for competition between the developers, or at least that is how it typically is from my previous knowledge.   

My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »
Adam, the replay view I'm speaking of from Perfect Golf that I think is close to what would work as a "live" opponent view in TGC is called "SideOn" in the replay menu.   I checked it out again last night and it is pretty sweet, even though it doesn't cut to a reverse angle view like the live swing camera has the option of doing.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

AdamV HB

• GroupMember
  • Physics / Camera Engineer
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
Adam:

Just to be clear, do you mean being able to cycle more camera presets pre (prior to your swing) and post (replays) shots?  8)

-MERACE

Yes.  So, say you hit the ball and it's flying through the air with the follow camera, I'd let you cycle through some presets here.  So, say you set your post shot alternate camera to reverse (your primary post shot camera being either the follow or golfer view camera) clicking in the left stick would cut the camera to a reverse view and from there you could also cycle through any other views I or the community can dream up.  Just some initial thoughts.

AdamV HB

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 10:01:21 AM »
Adam, the replay view I'm speaking of from Perfect Golf that I think is close to what would work as a "live" opponent view in TGC is called "SideOn" in the replay menu.   I checked it out again last night and it is pretty sweet, even though it doesn't cut to a reverse angle view like the live swing camera has the option of doing.

I think I know what your getting at.  Again, I'd like to have a few options here with maybe even some user controls that allowed you to look around a bit.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »

Yes.  So, say you hit the ball and it's flying through the air with the follow camera, I'd let you cycle through some presets here.  So, say you set your post shot alternate camera to reverse (your primary post shot camera being either the follow or golfer view camera) clicking in the left stick would cut the camera to a reverse view and from there you could also cycle through any other views I or the community can dream up.  Just some initial thoughts.

Fantastic! :D

I really like the option we have in TGC of changing the camera view on demand which currently PG does not have.

User configurable camera view options really enhances the gaming experience and makes me feel more engaged with the game.

-MERACE

AdamV HB

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
I feel exactly the same way.  I will find the time eventually.

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »
I would more like to see me playing the whole game as i would see it from the players eyes, instead of remote controlling a virtual golfer.  ::)
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 12:32:13 AM »
I would more like to see me playing the whole game as i would see it from the players eyes, instead of remote controlling a virtual golfer.  ::)
Similar to FPS games, it would be great to have the option to be able to play and explore the course walking (or riding in a golf cart) in first person mode.   8)

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 10:20:53 AM »

I've thought about this myself, but I can't envision a way to gauge what's happening with my swing unless there was some sort of swing meter inset.  I know I can't go purely by feel with TGC... the golfer animation is at least 50% of the feedback I use.   
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
I think I know what your getting at.  Again, I'd like to have a few options here with maybe even some user controls that allowed you to look around a bit.

I'm glad you're expanding the options with this.  It's not going to be as easy to snap to a reverse angle view from the golfer view, as it is to follow cam.  I can see the obstacles that the reverse angle cut creates (terrain and objects blocking view) in Perfect Golf.  It's like the computer producer's AI needs some improvement if finding a reverse camera angle that takes this into account.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »

I'm glad you're expanding the options with this.  It's not going to be as easy to snap to a reverse angle view from the golfer view, as it is to follow cam.  I can see the obstacles that the reverse angle cut creates (terrain and objects blocking view) in Perfect Golf.  It's like the computer producer's AI needs some improvement if finding a reverse camera angle that takes this into account.

I read somewhere on the PP forums that this is due to the "emergent physics" in PG where there is no pre-defined shot result due to the dynamic physics involved. 

Question to Adam:  Does TGC have "emergent physics" similar to PG?

-MERACE

space-cash