View opponent's shot from your golfer's perspective in multiplayer

• 39 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »
I read somewhere on the PP forums that this is due to the "emergent physics" in PG where there is no pre-defined shot result due to the dynamic physics involved. 

Well that would explain it... does that also explain why the reverse angle camera "bounces" with the ball?  That's the other thing that annoys me about PG's reverse angle camera.  It would be so much better without it, IMO.  Even at that, I still like the reverse angle cut camera in PG; it just needs refinement.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 03:41:16 AM »

Well that would explain it... does that also explain why the reverse angle camera "bounces" with the ball?  That's the other thing that annoys me about PG's reverse angle camera.  It would be so much better without it, IMO.  Even at that, I still like the reverse angle cut camera in PG; it just needs refinement.

I can not play more than one consecutive round of PG without getting a head ache from the camera bouncing with the ball.  :( I really hope they can find a fix for that issue.

-MERACE

AdamV HB

• GroupMember
  • Physics / Camera Engineer
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »

I'm glad you're expanding the options with this.  It's not going to be as easy to snap to a reverse angle view from the golfer view, as it is to follow cam.  I can see the obstacles that the reverse angle cut creates (terrain and objects blocking view) in Perfect Golf.  It's like the computer producer's AI needs some improvement if finding a reverse camera angle that takes this into account.

I read somewhere on the PP forums that this is due to the "emergent physics" in PG where there is no pre-defined shot result due to the dynamic physics involved. 

Question to Adam:  Does TGC have "emergent physics" similar to PG?

-MERACE

All forces in our physics simulation are applied in real time.  So, the lift, drag, wind, roll resistance, etc. are all calculated during each physics simulation step.  On top of that, we've gone to great lengths to be able to predict the full trajectory of the ball and landing position.  It's a solvable problem.  NASA doesn't send a probe to a comet and say, "Let's just see what happens, It will be like a fun surprise!".  Believe me, if I was told, "Adam, don't worry about it, we don't need to know the trajectory of the ball, just let the physics do it's thing" (which to be clear, once the ball is hit, this is exactly what we do, we let physics do it's thing), it would have saved me a lot of work haha.  However, accurate prediction allows us to make informed decisions on club suggestions, camera placements, the trajectory visualization in the GNCD, commentary triggers, etc.  John needs something to talk about besides the weather while the ball is flying through the air and I can't have him down at my desk everyday telling me that I'm making him look bad.  I'd never get anything done :).

Acrilix

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 12:03:33 PM »
Until the last update I have been a staunch turn base enabled player, but with the increasing multiplayer problems we were encountering our online trio switched to simultaneous play and we all love it. We still play in turns using Skype to decide who is to play. You may not see the opponent as a player this way, but you see the shots from your own perspective and to me, I find that even more immersive. If I'm first to play to the green I often flick on the putting camera and pan around to watch the other player's shots coming in and it's brilliant! I also watch their putting using this camera as well. It feels far more realistic when you are not directly behind the opponent when you view their shot. Another benefit is that if I want, I can be using the time when my opponents are playing to sort out my next shot, such as reading the greens (I play no grid). The worst thing about turn enabled play is that you can do nothing until it's your go - not even view the overhead. We can also hear our opponent's play their shots through Skype so we don't have to wait until it plays out on our PC's before taking our own shots. We used to take around 2 hours for a round but now it's under an hour because of all the time we save!
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »

Question to Adam:  Does TGC have "emergent physics" similar to PG?

-MERACE

Every game I've worked on since 1996 has had "emergent physics", whatever that means. Very few sports games out there cheat the system and adjust ball flights, collisions, etc. These games are normally style over substance games that worry more about presentation than gameplay. TBH I didn't even realise it was a USP :)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »
TBH I didn't even realise it was a USP :)

Okay... off I go to acronyms.com  :P 

Okay, back from edumacating myself... USP - Unique Selling Point.   I'm now a whole lot smarter than I was 5 minutes ago ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:38:05 PM by jcauthen04 »
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 06:19:15 PM »
I had to look it up too ;)

TBH I didn't even realise it was a USP :)

Okay... off I go to acronyms.com  :P 

Okay, back from edumacating myself... USP - Unique Selling Point.   I'm now a whole lot smarter than I was 5 minutes ago ;D

Gamr68

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
Nice that HB is considering more camera options. Having a reverse view selectable after a shot is hit would allow a more TV coverage feel for the game.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »
Nice that HB is considering more camera options. Having a reverse view selectable after a shot is hit would allow a more TV coverage feel for the game.

Yeah, and maybe their reverse angle camera view won't bounce with the ball  :D
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

ajl5313

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »

Yeah, and maybe their reverse angle camera view won't bounce with the ball  :D

Hear hear!

space-cash