Optimizing Greens & Bunkers

• 9 Replies

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« on: February 09, 2014, 01:02:01 AM »
I would imagine that when you auto generate a course that everything is optimized.

When you make a course from scratch and your adding bunkers and greens do they have to be optimized somehow?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:10:48 AM by morden44 »

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »
Bump

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:46:10 PM »
When you place something, it's exactly the same as the automatically placed objects.  There's no separate step you need to do, if that's what you mean.

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:49:06 PM »
Thanks Dave,

In the last course generator I used we had to optimize everything we did. It's terrific that we can place anything anywhere we want and have to do no extra work.

Dazmaniac

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
Thanks Dave,

In the last course generator I used we had to optimize everything we did. It's terrific that we can place anything anywhere we want and have to do no extra work.

Out of interest, what game was that? TGC keep saying this is the first golf game with a course generator, but already I have seen one game mentioned that had one, lol.

;)

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »
The game was TW 04/05 I think. Not sure of the years but around there at some point. That game did not generate anything for you though except a plot of land.

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:12:33 PM »
Thanks Dave,

Out of interest, what game was that? TGC keep saying this is the first golf game with a course generator, but already I have seen one game mentioned that had one, lol.

;)

I can't think of any that have the ability to procedurally generate golf course with a few clicks of a button.
We've all used Course Creators/designers in other games but nothing like procedurally generated  courses. I could be wrong though

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:48:34 PM »
Your not wrong. I have never seen this. This is a dream for designers.

Acrilix

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:43:13 AM »
I can't think of any that have the ability to procedurally generate golf course with a few clicks of a button.
We've all used Course Creators/designers in other games but nothing like procedurally generated  courses. I could be wrong though

You are wrong. As I said in another post, Swing Away Golf did this way back in 2000. It was a Japanese golf game, similar to Hotshots Golf. The course generator had no editing capabilities, you simply set a few parameters like how hilly etc. to determine the difficulty of the course and then it was then just a click to generate a random course. You could then save this course to your memory card.
It was years ahead of its time, but nothing to compare with the flexibility, or realism of the TGC course generator.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
Good find, I was unaware of that game. Looking at the videos on YouTube I can safely say that we will not be competing the the tropical music stakes

space-cash