Published Courses - Locked or Open

• 22 Replies

Dazmaniac

« on: February 09, 2014, 06:21:04 PM »
By the subject heading, I mean if someone creates a course and loads it on to the TGC servers for others to play, would it then be possible for someone other than the person who has designed it to open up the course in the course designer/generator/editor and make changes to it and then save it and upload it tot eh TGC servers?

Or will there be some form of lockable option for courses that have been uploaded, so only the designer or those with the unlock code able to open it up in the editor.

;)

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:29:56 PM »
I personally hope we can lock our courses.

This what one of the devs stated on the forum.

Published courses either not be editable for other players, or if we decide to allow this, there will be an option for the creator to allow their course to be edited by other players. We're still in discussions on how we are going to handle this.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:33:32 PM by morden44 »

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
I personally hope we can lock our courses.

Hey Morden,

I really hope only the designer or HB Staff members can have access to editing the course.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

Dave McFarland HB

• GroupMember
  • TGC Coder (Graphics/Course Generator)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:44:33 PM »
Right now they are locked, so you can only edit your own courses.  We want to allow the option of editing eventually, but only with the creator's permission. 

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:51:23 PM »
With creator's permission is a good way to approach this.

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
With creator's permission is a good way to approach this.

Hey Dave and Morden,

I agree the creator should have the option to allow or not allow his course to be edited.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

Dazmaniac

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
Once a course has been completed and uploaded, will it be possible for the designer of said course to go in and change the name of it?

Also, would it be possible for the designer to actually delete a course he had created and people have actually already played rounds on it?

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »
Changing the name is not one we've thought about before, at first glance it seems minor enough but we'll see. With regards to being able to delete a course, no, you probably won't be able to do that as Tours/Tournaments may depend on your course. That being said this is a challenge we may have to overcome anyways.

Dazmaniac

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
Changing the name is not one we've thought about before, at first glance it seems minor enough but we'll see. With regards to being able to delete a course, no, you probably won't be able to do that as Tours/Tournaments may depend on your course. That being said this is a challenge we may have to overcome anyways.

Appreciate the reply.

I understand that tours etc. may be reliant on a specific course, but if the designer wants to pull it from the servers for whatever reason (maybe he has used the course as a template and improved on it and is set to release the updated version), then surely that is his/her right?

;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:42:04 PM by Dazmaniac »

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
This could be a good way to collaborate with other people on the course design.

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:51:42 PM »

Appreciate the reply.

I understand that tours etc. may be reliant on a specific course, but if the designer wants to pull it from the servers for whatever reason (maybe he has used the course as a template and improved on it and is set to release the updated version), then surely that is his/her right?

;)

Hey Dazmaniac,

Oh ok I understand your frustration, however the creator should be able to update the course after it's been uploaded and not currently being used in a tournament or players or using it. I think HB Studios should and will allow a course to be tweaked and updated and then added back on a tournament or for download. That would allow the original designer the ability to edit the course he or she has created without it destroying a tournament that is already on the server.

Another idea is to allow creators to only put them on the server as single player courses and not put in tournaments so that it prevents the in accuracy of people playing on a tournament in the past with the base course as part of it, compared to players who play with the modify course on it. This change could alter overall leaderboards for the best scores in the history of the tournament.

HB Studios should stipulate that once a creator makes a tournament he or she can't keep going in a modifying it when ever they want because of the problem I mentioned above. So make sure when you create a tournament you have it the way you want it because you can't change it.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »
You could always call your edited version - Revised such as they do with Pinehurst.

Coda1850

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »
How is this not as simple as don't publish it until you are 100% confident it's complete?
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

GrafUlrich88

• golf-beta
  • Viva Montana!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
How is this not as simple as don't publish it until you are 100% confident it's complete?

Hey Coda,

Good Point, however sadly many will publish courses that are not completed and then complain that they want to make changes to the course after people start playing on them. I hope people will learn to wait to publish their course or courses until they fine tune them and get them the way they want.

Cheers!!!
Rob H aka Graf

Dazmaniac

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »

But it seems the only way to get folks to 'play test' courses is by releasing them, lol. A designer may think it is 100% done, but then someone plays it and spots an error the designer missed.

Maybe HB Studios can offer a portal for BETA version courses, where folks could upload them, people play them and provide feedback (good or bad) and then the designer makes any changes necessary, uploads revised version for further BETA testing and then once it is given the greenlight, it gets uploaded to the full public servers.

space-cash