3" down, 10 feet putt !!!!!!!!!!!

• 26 Replies

MLT24

« on: October 28, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »
The putting is still way off to me.

3" down, 10 ft putt should not be a problem. But if the green continues downhill at all past the hole, you can say bye bye to your ball. You will have at least a 10 ft or more put coming back.

And what really kills me is if you try to barely tap it, the ball will go a few inches and stop??? Barely tap it a little more and it goes 20 ft past the hole?????

There is just no "touch" in the putting and it is sorely missed in this great game!

NevadaBallin

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »
Move the marker to 7 ft (10 minus 3) and hit it with 7 ft power (if you've figured out how to control how much power you are putting with).

Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

NevadaBallin

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

MLT24

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
hmm, thanks for the info. I like the way the game played with feel, now I have to do math. :(

NevadaBallin

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »
you're welcome bud. Nothing wrong with doing a little math, keep the brain exercised a little :)

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »
Yep, do what NB suggested and you'll have a much easier time with downhill putts.  Do the opposite for those uphill ones as well so that you're not short all the time.

MLT24

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
Yeah these shorties uphill and longies downhill I figure cost me at least 5 strokes per round if not more on the harder courses. I just tried it out on downhill and it worked much better tx! But on uphill the marker is usually already close to the right number past the flag so not sure how much that will help me be better at it.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
Yeah these shorties uphill and longies downhill I figure cost me at least 5 strokes per round if not more on the harder courses. I just tried it out on downhill and it worked much better tx! But on uphill the marker is usually already close to the right number past the flag so not sure how much that will help me be better at it.

I know you didn't like the math part above but if you want a quick formula use this

put marker directly over the hole - take the inches above hole and half it - then add it to the original number then add 2

So for example - the marker is on the hole and it's a 20 foot putt that is uphill 6 inches
(6 + 3 (half of six) + 2)= 11

So move the marker 11 feet past the hole (20+11)=31 feet

Don't go by the auto setting as it's never as accurate as above.  The above formula will always leave you 2 or 3 feet past the hole if you hit the putt smoothly.  Never short though which is the best part.

bigtee

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 06:46:48 PM »
I only move the marker left or right.

SassyLady

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 07:01:52 PM »
If you only move the marker left or right, you are missing a bet. I would leave the ball 3 or 4 inches short on short slightly uphill putts until I started moving it out a bit. It's improved my putting game quite a bit. Of course that's not hard. I couldn't putt in real life and I'm not much better here.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club
TPC Mactan Hills (Regular and Tour Editions)

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club
Mactan Hills Country Club

TGC 1
Bonner Point Golf Resort (Championship)
Tri-Lakes Golf and Fishing Resort

bigtee

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:29 PM »
If you only move the marker left or right, you are missing a bet. I would leave the ball 3 or 4 inches short on short slightly uphill putts until I started moving it out a bit. It's improved my putting game quite a bit. Of course that's not hard. I couldn't putt in real life and I'm not much better here.

I suppose there are some putts that would be easier by moving the marker back or forwards, but i'm just kinda comfortable with left or right. I have been caught out a couple of times on the 10th at pinehurst, so maybe i'll do that occasionally. Maybe for a few short uphill putts also, but all in all i'm left/right.

smoknpirate

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:56 AM »

I know you didn't like the math part above but if you want a quick formula use this

put marker directly over the hole - take the inches above hole and half it - then add it to the original number then add 2

So for example - the marker is on the hole and it's a 20 foot putt that is uphill 6 inches

Don't go by the auto setting as it's never as accurate as above.  The above formula will always leave you 2 or 3 feet past the hole if you hit the putt smoothly.  Never short though which is the best part.

Helpful formula. Used it for a couple of rounds tonight and I believe it helped me judge the pace a little better. What's the formula for figuring out break?  8)
My best courses

-Tanami Desert Links
-El Tesoro Piratas Golf Club
-William's Landing
-BlackBird Creek Golf Links
-TPC Carolina
-Spanish Oaks Golf Club
-Harbour Pointe
-TideWater Plantation

ajl5313

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 12:53:44 AM »
I think this part is a failing of the game (somewhat)

HB has so clearly stated they wanted things to be about "feel of golf"....and sadly, the putting (and short shots around the green) have turned into mental hurdles with the aiming arrow.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 01:23:46 AM »
What's the formula for figuring out break?  8)

Put your hands to together (palms together helps) close your eyes and whisper a word of encouragement to your ball!

AINT_NO_1_BETTA

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 01:36:09 AM »

Interesting. 20ft up 6 inches, I always equated 1" = 1 ft; so, it's 26ft to the cup then add 2 ft to go past the cup; so, 28ft.

My technique must be less effective...

space-cash