3" down, 10 feet putt !!!!!!!!!!!

• 26 Replies

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 01:56:04 AM »
Interesting. 20ft up 6 inches, I always equated 1" = 1 ft; so, it's 26ft to the cup then add 2 ft to go past the cup; so, 28ft.

My technique must be less effective...

I think you'll find that they are pretty close - my way leaves no doubt that you'll get past the hole where yours would probably have the ball stop closer to the cup.  I adjust according to break as well so it's all just a guideline - but I would put yours at the min and mine at the max on the scale and anywhere inbetween would be just fine.

AINT_NO_1_BETTA

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 02:47:18 AM »
I see exactly what you're saying, Doyley. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mitchblue

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 05:20:16 AM »
I still don't understand it even after reading Lorins thread and this one.  I move the marker right and  left.. I seem to do okay.  Is there like a dumbed down explanation ?
PSN ID:  Mitchrapp29

liquidsnake000

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 07:26:57 AM »
don't leave downhill putts ladies lol 8), sorry me bad.
bring on 2019 tgc.

ProjectM4yhem23

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 11:17:11 AM »
Guys, remember the old EF Hutton commercials??.....I think they apply in this situation.

nate94gt

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
ive been having a lot of putting issues like yours since the patch.  Its very disappointing :(

today i played a round and missed a 4' putt short.  HOW?  it was flat.  boggles my mind.

MLT24

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
After playing another 10 rounds on various kinds of greens and breaks, I have finally got a grip on this. Downhill puts, got that dialed in very fast. Uphill was the problem, unless you know how far back to take it, this formula does not work. No one talks about how far back to take the putter, just how to calculate the yellow marker.

Funny thing is now all I want is downhill puts, lol. Before dialing this in, they scared the chit out of me. Uphill is a lot better for me now, but downhill is  A LOT better than before.  40 foot long, 10 inches down, no problem, lol. That would have been a 3-5 putts before dialing this formula in.

I been on these forums since before the game came out and have played nearly everyday too, competitively.  I never before even knew there was something to the yellow marker as for assisting power. Never read it anywhere. HB should have done a MUCH better job at explaining this. I just used the yellow marker to look around the green, take elevation readings, plan my puts.

On the very difficult playing greens, this should knock off 6-8 strokes per round for me. Easier greens, 2-4.

Wonder what else I don't know about this game??

nate94gt

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:26 AM »
After playing another 10 rounds on various kinds of greens and breaks, I have finally got a grip on this. Downhill puts, got that dialed in very fast. Uphill was the problem, unless you know how far back to take it, this formula does not work. No one talks about how far back to take the putter, just how to calculate the yellow marker.

Funny thing is now all I want is downhill puts, lol. Before dialing this in, they scared the chit out of me. Uphill is a lot better for me now, but downhill is  A LOT better than before.  40 foot long, 10 inches down, no problem, lol. That would have been a 3-5 putts before dialing this formula in.

I been on these forums since before the game came out and have played nearly everyday too, competitively.  I never before even knew there was something to the yellow marker as for assisting power. Never read it anywhere. HB should have done a MUCH better job at explaining this. I just used the yellow marker to look around the green, take elevation readings, plan my puts.

On the very difficult playing greens, this should knock off 6-8 strokes per round for me. Easier greens, 2-4.

so what did you do to fix the problem?

MLT24

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
Well in the "How to" info you read by HB, it says something about taking the putter back to your back foot and this might be considered 10 foot or 10%. So from there I pulled the club all the way back and try to visualize the back swing in 25% increments. Of course this means I am calculating that a full power put on flat greens may go 100 feet.

So if a green is flat and the put is 20 ft., then I need to go a little past my back foot.

I then had to find out if I am suppose to take the yellow marker as the distance or the flag? No one ever said which one, just assumed I guess. It didn't take long to understanding the distance to be concerned with is the yellow marker.

So the yellow marker is NOT changing how far your ball rolls, or how much power the game applies to your puts, it is just an indicator to how far back you should go with backswing. So the calculations could be done in your head, no need for the yellow marker. But it is nice to have because you can run it around the green and see the different elevations around the green.

NevadaBallin

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »

In the thread I linked Lorin linked to an example of how I decide how far to pull the putter back. It comes with images.
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »

Interesting because I read numerous threads here discussing the yellow aiming marker and its impact on putting......
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

scruffy37

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 06:59:42 PM »
It does effect it

space-cash