Driver Accuracy Tweaks

• 62 Replies

Doyley

• GroupMember
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:10:29 PM »
Tweak to Driver accuracy
I'd like to take the current accuracy cone and split it into 3. 

Green
A sliver of green (think one or two pixels left and right of perfectly straight) that hits ball at marker. 

Yellow
Next a section of yellow that if hit pushes the ball left/right enough to flirt with pushing ball 10-15 yards away from your aim. 

Red
The rest would be red - hit this and you will draw/fade 20+ yards from aim. 

Complete Miss
Miss the red and you get severe hook/slice.

Note
I'd also endorse using this as an option (like grids on/off)

I've hit many shots on the extreme edge of the red cone and had it land safely in the fairway.  As it is, it's pretty customary for me to get up and just wail away at the drive while thinking about the approach shot - since the drive always ends up in the fairway (almost always I suppose!).  Would be nice to have one of the more difficult aspects of my real game require more concentration/precision in TGC.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:51:50 AM by Doyley »

ralphieboy72

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »
+1.

I would go as far as making the approach shots themselves a little less forgiving. 

I do find myself bored with the tee to green game at times.  I'm almost exclusively playing without the grid at the moment to keep my scores where I like them. Around par or a little below.

An on/off option would be great for those that already find the game difficult enough.

Acrilix

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed that driving was far too easy, but the last week or so I'm finding it harder and harder to keep in the cone, and that's without loft adjusting. I don't know if the thumbstick on my controller is getting looser, my brain's ability to control my thumb is failing, or some background process on my computer is interfering with my swing, but whatever it is, driving has recently become far more difficult than it was before!!  :o
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »
Should note that I'm on PC using an XB1 controller so I consider my self a stock controller user.

ajl5313

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
Agree with OP.

The game off the tee is borderline boring to me at this point (and I don't even play that much actually).

I know this subject is a bit tricky due to the use of console controllers and the limitations of using the little sticks, but it still would be nice to see some tweaks to this at some point.

Ian

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 02:59:41 AM »
One of the reasons that I stopped playing TW was that it was just too easy. I agree with the OP that tweaking the cone slightly will make the game slightly tougher and give it greater longevity.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 05:30:11 AM »
I have passed this on to Jordan and Adam and they will be looking at it...

clubcaptain

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 08:28:36 AM »
Yellow
Next a section of yellow that if hit pushes the ball left/right enough to flirt with pushing ball 10-15 yards away from your aim. 

Red

The above is fine but with a cross wind the deviation could be considerably more.
Intel core I73770k 3.5 GHZ
16 Gb Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600MHZ/PC12800
Asus mobo PB8277-V Lx
Nvidea GeForce GTX670 2GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windoes 7 home premium 64 bit

Courses :
Aphrodite Golf and Sailing Resort
Taiga Forest-Kaunis Course
Adelaide Hills West Golf Course
Strathmally GC

HitItLong

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 11:34:36 PM »
Needs to be greater loss of shot distance too, if you miss the green, in Doyley's mock up above.
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 11:55:29 PM »
Needs to be greater loss of shot distance too, if you miss the green, in Doyley's mock up above.

Good Point - doesn't need to be drastic but hitting red shouldn't give you 280 yard drives in the fairway.

banjobowling

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 01:08:54 AM »
My experience mirrors this as well. So much so for me I now have compensated for a 15 or so yard fade. Then I'll have one dead straight, when I've already adjusted my aim (here's looking at you Ballyntyne #10).   
A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed that driving was far too easy, but the last week or so I'm finding it harder and harder to keep in the cone, and that's without loft adjusting. I don't know if the thumbstick on my controller is getting looser, my brain's ability to control my thumb is failing, or some background process on my computer is interfering with my swing, but whatever it is, driving has recently become far more difficult than it was before!!  :o

I like the idea of a loss of distance with less accuracy.

I feel like your pic doyley is of an accuracy cone for a wedge/iron, like a LW-7i, not the driver.  I would be game for seeing this with the short clubs. To my eyes, the current driver cone, all green slice, is the size of what you have in yellow + green. That said, I'm yellow right almost every time, and I have that fade with the driver you mentioned. If the current driver cone was broken down further proportionally to your representation, I think there would be a rush on zero axis controllers. lol. I hope that makes sense.

The only thing I would be concerned with a change to the current dynamic would be for the casual gamer as it would really up the difficulty. A change like this would definitely bring the game closer to a sim.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »
My experience mirrors this as well. So much so for me I now have compensated for a 15 or so yard fade. Then I'll have one dead straight, when I've already adjusted my aim (here's looking at you Ballyntyne #10).   

I like the idea of a loss of distance with less accuracy.

I feel like your pic doyley is of an accuracy cone for a wedge/iron, like a LW-7i, not the driver.  I would be game for seeing this with the short clubs. To my eyes, the current driver cone, all green slice, is the size of what you have in yellow + green. That said, I'm yellow right almost every time, and I have that fade with the driver you mentioned. If the current driver cone was broken down further proportionally to your representation, I think there would be a rush on zero axis controllers. lol. I hope that makes sense.

The only thing I would be concerned with a change to the current dynamic would be for the casual gamer as it would really up the difficulty. A change like this would definitely bring the game closer to a sim.

Yea, I agree it makes it more difficult but I'd also be happy if it was an option and that we could set it for ourselves or certain tours/tournaments.

Ian

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:03:43 AM »
I feel that there should also be an option to hit any shot further than the standard distance, but with a greater chance of a mis-hit off line. The only problem is how this could be introduced into the present control setup with a full deflection of the stick required for a shot of 100%.

nate94gt

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »

same here.  there was a time where i was rattling off some decent scores, and no matter what i did, the ball was going straight.  Now in the last couple of weeks, its a huge struggle to hit it straight.  it makes me sad :(

liquidsnake000

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 03:49:39 AM »
Tweak to Driver accuracy
I'd like to take the current accuracy cone and split it into 3. 

Green
A sliver of green (think one or two pixels left and right of perfectly straight) that hits ball at marker. 

Yellow

Red

Complete Miss
Miss the red and you get severe hook/slice.

Note
I'd also endorse using this as an option (like grids on/off)

I've hit many shots on the extreme edge of the red cone and had it land safely in the fairway.  As it is, it's pretty customary for me to get up and just wail away at the drive while thinking about the approach shot - since the drive always ends up in the fairway (almost always I suppose!).  Would be nice to have one of the more difficult aspects of my real game require more concentration/precision in TGC.
hahahaha gee whiz doyley, you would have to hit the ball razor blade straight for that green lol, not a bad idea though, but I can already hear the groans from some of the gc society because a lot of people are struggling with the game as it is in its currunt format, I,l tell you what does need narrowing down more than the driver cone, ALL the other shot cones from irons to pitching clubs and even putting, there way too forgiving. one last thing and its about the pitch shots, it needs a smoother swing, because just altering the loft is still like painting by numbers, it needs more rhythm to it if you ask me.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:54:21 AM by liquidsnake000 »
bring on 2019 tgc.

space-cash