Driver Accuracy Tweaks

• 62 Replies

Acrilix

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 08:17:43 AM »
l tell you what does need narrowing down more than the driver cone, ALL the other shot cones from irons to pitching clubs and even putting, there way too forgiving.

With regards to putting, I don't know why there even is a shot cone, or why it's so massive, because the slightest deviation from perfect seems to affect putting more than any other shot in the game anyway.  ???
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

nate94gt

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
Yes the slightest deviations really affect the putting. I hate those straight putts cuz I always miss

Greenpants

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »
I think this is a cool idea for a "hard mode". That way nobody is forced into a higher difficult and left out. I find that the game is usually either simply too easy or too hard for the wrong reasons like hilarious course design (nice mountain face of a green), random unexpected shot power deviation, 15mph winds, etc.

Whereas real golf is just a brutal unforgiving b**ch for wholly different reasons.

Edit: this would also give more variety to somewhat difficult shots. As of right now it's often very black and white. Either you made it, or you didn't.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:37:28 PM by Greenpants »

Ian

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »
At points in the game playing a pitch shot is just too easy. If you've got the correct distance to play a pitch shot at full power all you need to do is hit it for the ball to finish next to the pin. This has been the same with virtually all golf games. I think you should have to set up for a pitch shot yourself and reduce the backswing accordingly, as in real life. The same goes for chipping and putting.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 01:53:49 AM »
Appreciate all the comments - just to go a bit more in depth on my thinking.

Say you have a 25 yard wide fairway with no wind. You plop the aim right in the middle of it.

Swing 1:  good swing, catches the green, lands in the middle of the fairway
Swing 2:  decent swing, catches the yellow, ball lands in the fairway 5 yards from the right edge
Swing 3:  Poor swing, catch the red, ball draws and lands in the light rough
Swing 4:  Terrible swing, ball hooks into the trees

This would be my way of getting the fairway's hit percentages down to PGA Tour levels (the best players in the world average 70%).  Hitting a solid drive within the green/yellow cone isn't too hard to do in game.  I hit in the yellow/green cone approx 75% of the time.  I hit red and beyond much less but when I do, I expect my ball to be in much worse shape than it currently is in - distance and aim wise.

Sure I'd like to see this ported to other shots too - would be nice if they did implement as an option that it was available as All Shots, Driver Only, Off.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 07:34:57 PM »

These numbers are from our first Beta Tournament at TGC Tours.  I'd love for each line of stats to be dropped one row - so the majority of golfers fall in the 70-74 range - would put the scores in a much more realistic range.  The tweaks to drivers and wedges would be a good start.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:36:38 PM by Doyley »

Greenpants

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 10:18:35 AM »
Definitely agree with your driver ideas. But I do think that the biggest thing that makes thing easy is the scout camera. It shows you nearly exactly where your ball will land (before wind and elevation adjustment). Makes very hard shots much easier.

So I'd say that probably accounts for a lot of the unrealistic scoring.

BikerTox

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
I agree with making the tee to green shotmaking more difficult.

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 01:17:12 PM »
Basicaly the described "deviation" mechanincs is in the current swing allready. Might be a little too tolerant atm. But there are 2 other issues with the swing:

1. If you look at the amount of movement irl the thruswing movement is about 3 times as long as the backswing movement. The current swing requires then movement to be about the same. This makes it feel like jus hitting at the ball, without any "followthru". Timing for back- and thruswing beeing 1:1 is fine. What should be done is just increase the required LENGTH of the thruwsing to about 3 times the length of the backswing. This would make it feel more "golfish" and in the same time reduce the swings tollerance.
Example: to get 100% the swing could be like back for 1cm in 1sec, pause, thru for 3cm in 1sec, with the current deviations for misses in timing or line.

2. The golfswing is a right to left movement, include this 90° switch as an option.

Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

nate94gt

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
i think this game is hard enough as it is.  I'd love to know my average distance to the pin on GIRs.  i bet its out there a ways.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 12:10:18 PM »
Basicaly the described "deviation" mechanincs is in the current swing allready. Might be a little too tolerant atm. But there are 2 other issues with the swing:

1. If you look at the amount of movement irl the thruswing movement is about 3 times as long as the backswing movement. The current swing requires then movement to be about the same. This makes it feel like jus hitting at the ball, without any "followthru". Timing for back- and thruswing beeing 1:1 is fine. What should be done is just increase the required LENGTH of the thruwsing to about 3 times the length of the backswing. This would make it feel more "golfish" and in the same time reduce the swings tollerance.
Example: to get 100% the swing could be like back for 1cm in 1sec, pause, thru for 3cm in 1sec, with the current deviations for misses in timing or line.

2. The golfswing is a right to left movement, include this 90° switch as an option.

Great ideas! 8)

-MERACE

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 08:48:46 AM »
Lots of great ideas in this thread. Would prefer the tolerances to be tighter across the board, even putting.

I think there is basically no need to redo the swing mechanics as they are already good, just tighter tolerances for a "hard mode" to be used in more competitive settings. This is hopefully fairly quick to implement so we might have a chance of it happening.

The timing or tempo component should be tighter as well and introduce some right and left drift. Like being quick can create a pull or pull fade and slow tends to create a push draw or fade. Might be harder but would also increase realism and introduce more complexity. Would be great for the putting I think. Not enough effect to make a 5-6 footer miss but at least enough that poor tempo will make a 8-10 footer miss. 

A bit more randomness while still rewarding good shots would go a long way towards making this a real sim experience.

ralphieboy72

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »
This is what I always come back to with this game.  It is too easy for my liking.  I know people have different tastes, and I'm probably in the minority.  I haven't played the game much lately so I fired it up after a week off.  Picked a random course that wasn't overly easy.   Now I didn't have much wind for this round, but I hit every fairway and I hit the ball to within 10 feet of the hole on 8 of the 9 holes on the front 9.  That's just not fun to me.

I'm not the best player in this game and I don't really want to be.  I just want a realistic experience.  Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, or Tiger Woods in their prime couldn't hit the ball with the accuracy I possess in this game.

I hope I'm not alone.  A harder difficulty level for those that want it would be a welcomed addition for myself and others.

Greenpants

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »
Have you turned off the scout camera? That adds realism and difficulty.

ajl5313

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »
This is what I always come back to with this game.  It is too easy for my liking.  I know people have different tastes, and I'm probably in the minority.  I haven't played the game much lately so I fired it up after a week off.  Picked a random course that wasn't overly easy.   Now I didn't have much wind for this round, but I hit every fairway and I hit the ball to within 10 feet of the hole on 8 of the 9 holes on the front 9.  That's just not fun to me.

I'm not the best player in this game and I don't really want to be.  I just want a realistic experience.  Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, or Tiger Woods in their prime couldn't hit the ball with the accuracy I possess in this game.

I hope I'm not alone.  A harder difficulty level for those that want it would be a welcomed addition for myself and others.

This is basically what happened to me also.
Other than putting, the difficulty required on the other shots just feels like I'm sitting there swinging the controller stick to go through the motions to get to the shots that are actually difficult.
Haven't even bothered for over a week now.  :-(

space-cash