Driver Accuracy Tweaks

• 62 Replies

mebby

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
This is what I always come back to with this game.  It is too easy for my liking.  I know people have different tastes, and I'm probably in the minority.  I haven't played the game much lately so I fired it up after a week off.  Picked a random course that wasn't overly easy.   Now I didn't have much wind for this round, but I hit every fairway and I hit the ball to within 10 feet of the hole on 8 of the 9 holes on the front 9.  That's just not fun to me.

I'm not the best player in this game and I don't really want to be.  I just want a realistic experience.  Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, or Tiger Woods in their prime couldn't hit the ball with the accuracy I possess in this game.

I hope I'm not alone.  A harder difficulty level for those that want it would be a welcomed addition for myself and others.
Although I'm still having a lot of fun with this game, after reading your post I'd have to say that I agree.  If could stand to be more difficult to hit fairways and greens. 

However, this is a game that I'm not sure will ever be able to fully simulate the real thing and if it did (to your point about being in the minority) I'm not sure it would draw as many people as it does today.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

Nightowl

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 02:08:54 PM »
I haven't played the game in 3 weeks or more.  The reason:  From tee to green is "auto pilot" golf.  That putting is a real challenge has not turned users off.  I'd like to think the same would be true if other parts of the game were made a bit more challenging.

ajl5313

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:24 PM »
From tee to green is "auto pilot" golf.

Very well said - 100% agree

ralphieboy72

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
Have you turned off the scout camera? That adds realism and difficulty.

It's funny you mention that because that was going to be my next step when I have time to sit down with the game.  While I'm sure it will make things slightly more difficult, I would prefer shots to stray off line slightly more than they do now.  Again, nothing drastic, just enough to make my proximity to the hole a little further away or miss a fairway once in a while.

Greenpants

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
That worked well for me once I learned to stop skipping the hole overview. You have to estimate distances rather than seeing your exact landing area. I tried turning off the green grid too but that s&!t is impossible.

ralphieboy72

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »
I haven't played the game in 3 weeks or more.  The reason:  From tee to green is "auto pilot" golf.  That putting is a real challenge has not turned users off.  I'd like to think the same would be true if other parts of the game were made a bit more challenging.

That's a very good point.  I like this game a lot and I think the developers are doing a great job.  I've spent a lot of time with it since the beginning.  I bought it for both my PC and PS4.  Right now, the gameplay is stale for me though.

I can understand not wanting the game to be overly hard when you are trying to build your brand.  Doyley's original comments about having an added difficulty level that we could turn on/off seems to be what I would like to see.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
I am enjoying reading all the comments. Nice to know that I am not alone!  Judging by the two tournaments we just ran at TGC Tours, the average score could stand to drop at least 5 or 6 strokes for the midrange guys and eight or nine strokes for the top end guys

HB_LorinB

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
I really do recommend turning off the scout cam and the reticle if you want the game to be more challenging.  And I recommend turning off green grids.  I know people say it is impossible on a 2D monitor...but that simply isn't true.  I have played many, many hours with the green grids of, and it is my favorite way to play the game.  It is just very hard and requires you to take real time when reading your putts (and reading them from all angles).  And, even then, you will only 1-putt from outside of about 12-15 feet occasionally...which is pretty realistic (IMO). 

I think if you were to do all of those things, you might find some of the difficulty you are looking for.  I am not saying it is the solution to everything, I just think one should explore the options :)

mebby

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
Have you turned off the scout camera? That adds realism and difficulty.

It's funny you mention that because that was going to be my next step when I have time to sit down with the game.  While I'm sure it will make things slightly more difficult, I would prefer shots to stray off line slightly more than they do now.  Again, nothing drastic, just enough to make my proximity to the hole a little further away or miss a fairway once in a while.
The issue I have with turning the scout camera off is that I really need it on the green in order to read my line. 

If there was an option to turn it off everywhere but the green then that would be cool. 
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 05:01:09 PM »
I really do recommend turning off the scout cam and the reticle if you want the game to be more challenging.  And I recommend turning off green grids.  I know people say it is impossible on a 2D monitor...but that simply isn't true.  I have played many, many hours with the green grids of, and it is my favorite way to play the game.  It is just very hard and requires you to take real time when reading your putts (and reading them from all angles).  And, even then, you will only 1-putt from outside of about 12-15 feet occasionally...which is pretty realistic (IMO). 

I think if you were to do all of those things, you might find some of the difficulty you are looking for.  I am not saying it is the solution to everything, I just think one should explore the options :)
While I agree that it's fun to play this way, it would be impossible to convince an entire tour to do so - which leaves us with the stock game as our main mode of play.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »
While I agree that it's fun to play this way, it would be impossible to convince an entire tour to do so - which leaves us with the stock game as our main mode of play.

No....but you could turn the scout cam off ;)

Actually, I was more responding to ralphieboy and just offering a suggestion.

ajl5313

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »
I think my issue isn't the "aid" of things like the scout cam, but that simply the mechanics of executing the tee and approach shots is too easy.

Turning off aids to see less of what you're doing may help, but is sort of akin to saying "partially blindfold yourself and it gets harder" (obviously).

Around the green/grids part - That's fine as is - I personally like the grid and the way putting is right now.  It's the execution difficulty on the other shots that's too easy.

(except chipping around the green - which I think is very subpar in this game (no feel at all) - Pulling up that loft meter is the worst part of the game UI in my opinion)

golfhound

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 12:13:30 AM »
Previously they have stated that they don't want difficulty levels and want the courses to increase or decrease the difficulty of the game.
However, since HB are currently looking into separate leader boards for modified and stock controllers I think they could implement difficulty levels and keep the leader boards showing scores of the same level of play.

I too would like to see settings for more and less sensitivity of the shot stick since I don't play competition but want a relaxing experience where I can enjoy the beauty and ambiance of the game without worrying about getting into trouble.

This would also satisfy those who feel the game is too easy in its current form.

HB:  You could include "maximum backspin" in this game as long as you give me the option to turn it off!

ajl5313

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2014, 12:43:43 AM »

I too would like to see settings for more and less sensitivity of the shot stick since I don't play competition but want a relaxing experience where I can enjoy the beauty and ambiance of the game without worrying about getting into trouble.

Agree.

The problem for many of us is that the relaxing experience has drifted into "so easy it's pointless" for many of the shots and thus we aren't even playing any more really.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 05:15:25 AM »
I think my issue isn't the "aid" of things like the scout cam, but that simply the mechanics of executing the tee and approach shots is too easy.

Turning off aids to see less of what you're doing may help, but is sort of akin to saying "partially blindfold yourself and it gets harder" (obviously).

The problem for many of us is that the relaxing experience has drifted into "so easy it's pointless" for many of the shots and thus we aren't even playing any more really.

@turbineseaplane -

I actually disagree with the sentiment that it is like saying ""partially blindfold yourself and it gets harder".  Scout Cams and Green Grids are things that don't exist in the real sport.  And, certainly for the Scout Cam, you can get all of the same info off of the tee in the video game (including with the overhead view) as you can in real life.  Therefore, it is an aid, not a necessity (like some might argue for green grids...though I disagree with that too).

I just feel like it is odd to say the game isn't hard enough when one is not taking advantage of the options that already exist to make the game more realistic and, therefore, more challenging.  IMO, this game, with all of the aids off, is more like real golf than any game I have ever played.  But to keep saying "make it harder" without using the tools that already exist just makes no sense to me.

I am not saying we are not open to the suggestions in this thread, we always are.  I am just saying that it feels like multiple people have asked for more difficulty without using the tools that are already there.  I challenge anyone who wants the game to be harder or more challenging to turn off Scout Cam and Green Grids for one week (and maybe even the reticle), no matter how frustrating it is in the beginning (because it will be...you have to re-learn how to read the greens).  I have no doubt that there are people who have done this, or will do this, who still feel like difficulty levels are the answer...and that is fine.  But I think you might be surprised at how well the game plays this way for those looking for more of a challenge.

space-cash