Real Course - WOODLANDS GOLF CLUB, Melbourne. Australia (now with White Tees)

• 24 Replies

bs44

• PSN: "SilversixDJ"
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »

Blue and white tees both available. Search for:

Woodlands Golf Club, Australia
or
Woodlands Golf Club (Whites) - Easier pin placement, slower greens & shorter white tees.

Here is my true re-creation of my home club "Woodlands GC" here in Melbourne, Australia.
Bunker shapes, elevations, tee positions, green/fairway slopes, feature trees/shrubs, paths, furniture, green growing areas, practise facilities, etc etc. have all been painstakingly replicated using Google Earth & GolfShot Pro for layout and distances and also my own knowledge of playing the course every week.

It should be a decent challenge for all players, but people who plan their tee shots to set their approach up will do best here.
Good players should comfortably break par, whilst high handicappers may struggle, especially in the wind.
You can see the white tee locations on course which will be playable in the "Front Tees" version of the course shortly.
The "Front Tees" version will also play easier pin locations and slightly slower greens.

Woodlands is a superb Par 72 Sandbelt course currently at #12 in the TOP 100 Australian Golf Courses. Woodlands is also known for it's state of the art newly built Clubhouse.
The greens are very small, very hard & very fast, the narrow fairways are all pure couch and offer a great surface from which to play and there are many bunkers to overcome.
It provides that overwhelming feeling that you have to work the ball around the course, and never, never slog it.

THE CLUBHOUSE & PUTTING GREENS

AN OVERVIEW OF THE 2nd - PAR 5

A LOOK AT THE 5th - PAR 3

FALLING SHORT ON THE TIGHT APPROACH ON THE 7th - PAR 4

THIS TYPE OF PIN PLACEMENT IS THE NORMAL AROUND THE COURSE - THE 14th - PAR 4

THE LAST LEG OF THE LONG 15th - PAR 5

THE FINAL SRETCH OF THE SHORT 18th - PAR 5

THE DRIVING RANGE

THE PRACTISE BUNKERS

AND YES THE COURSE IS FULLY WALKABLE :P

AN AERIAL VIEW SHOWING SOME OF THE REPLICATION OF THE COURSE

Woodlands Golf Club, Australia (est. 1913) - 18 hole
Course Record: 64 (David Diaz - 2006).

Hole   Yards     Par   Index
1   404           4   12
2   564           5   16
3   335           4   14
4   286           4   18
5   191           3   10
6   594           5   8
7   385           4   6
8   217           3   4
9   451           4   2
OUT   3427    36

10   445           4   1
11   164           3   13
12   387           4   9
13   347           4   15
14   418           4   5
15   607           5   7
16   444           4   3
17   169           3   11
18   515           5   17
IN   3496         36   

Total   6913      72

I'll post some comparison photos soon but early build comparisons can be seen in the "works in progress thread".
If anyone has ever played the real course please let me know.

I have no idea how long I worked on this & don't want to know lol, but let's just say this is the only course I have built, and I bought the game the day it was released and I play it to a ridiculous extent. I kinda got addicted on the whole replicating thing.  :P

NOTE: In the end I decided to pull a few of the tees back to increase the challenge, as the course isn't very long in real life (and some holes seemed too easy in game).
It now plays how it does in real life.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:55:16 AM by bs44 »

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 03:42:46 PM »
i love a real life creation enjoyed playing not knowing the course i thought the 3rd and 4th green seemed way to small to rest of greens  on course may be like that but i thought a little unfair,also right in middle of 16 fairway 2nd shot clipped an over hanging tree didnt seem right,but overall i enjoyed shot +2 on xbox one found it very tough to hold greens.but im sure most aussie greens play very quick

Antiparosjez

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
Very tough, is it like that in real life? Amazing amount of hard work and time gone into it so thank you. I got my first hole in one but still ended up with a rubbish score. I bet, despite the tiny greens, someone, somewhere scores in the low 60s. Dunno how they do it but what I thought was a harder course I just released people have gone low. Will be back for more to try and score more respectably. Thanks again.
Man of Kent Power Station Grendel Woods The Pier Sandyhurst Lakes North Kernow, Chart Lakes, West Foreland Elysium Park, White Mountain, Easter Bay, White Rocks,Stour Manor, Samphire Golf Links, The Estate, Romney Harbour, Kingston Park, Gull Rock, City Park, Mullion Cliffs, Wealden Forest, Brooklan

bigtee

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
Really liked this course. Nice shape, bunkers and shot reward greens.

ddennis265

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
Nice course.. Really liked the lay out and thought the firmness was just right.. Not too crazy.. Got lucky and didn't have too much wind and shot a 61..Really nice, if I ever make it to Australia I'll have to check this one out in person..

Good job..

bs44

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
i love a real life creation enjoyed playing not knowing the course i thought the 3rd and 4th green seemed way to small to rest of greens  on course may be like that but i thought a little unfair,also right in middle of 16 fairway 2nd shot clipped an over hanging tree didn't seem right,but overall i enjoyed shot +2 on xbox one found it very tough to hold greens.but im sure most aussie greens play very quick

Thanks for the feedback mate, appreciated!
The 4th green is very small in real life, if you don't take on the corner a bit your left with an impossible shot onto the green. The 4th is the same, and the pin position on a hard day is very tough, as it's a very raised green it's very hard to chip on from the side of the green, the best bet is to hit an iron or high wood down there and leave your self at least 40 yards or so.
I'll take a photo next round so you can see how tough it is.  :D
As for the 15th hole with the overhanging tree on the right, it plays like that in real life, any drive down the right side will only be short ironing around the corner. It's made to either go long and try and break the small gap or be straight and short allowing enough room to fade it slightly around the corner which then will still leave a decent shot in.

The greens are some of the fastest you will ever play on, but setting the greens to the fastest setting in TGC is pretty silly as it's impossible fast in game, so I what I felt is a more realistic fast paced setting was about 70%.

I wanted it to play as tough as it does in real life so + 2 is a very decent score.
DDenis' 61 is very, very good ha!

Thanks again I hope you enjoy a future round there.

gerardfraser

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
Great course.Like the visuals.Plays hard on purpose but its all good.I love when a course is setup where you have to place your shots.
I missed so many birdie putts lol.
Finished with a 63 and I will play again .I guess Antiparosjez is correct someone will score in the low 60's.
I bet if I did not drink about 15 beer I would/could of done in the high 50's. That's not my game though.I just love playing these great courses for fun and you hit the mark on the fun part for me.
Thanks

bs44

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »
Very tough, is it like that in real life? Amazing amount of hard work and time gone into it so thank you. I got my first hole in one but still ended up with a rubbish score. I bet, despite the tiny greens, someone, somewhere scores in the low 60s. Dunno how they do it but what I thought was a harder course I just released people have gone low. Will be back for more to try and score more respectably. Thanks again.

Hole in one WOW well done mate! Which hole was it?
Yeh super tough for most golfers in real, being a big hitter only benefits on a couple of holes, it's the straight shooters that know their distances that do well here.

gerardfraser

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
Started another game but may not finish it tonight,too many beers.Off to a good start.

bs44

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »
Nice course.. Really liked the lay out and thought the firmness was just right.. Not too crazy.. Got lucky and didn't have too much wind and shot a 61..Really nice, if I ever make it to Australia I'll have to check this one out in person..

Good job..

61 very nice mate!

ddennis265

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 11:01:20 PM »
Thanks Man. Yeah just got on a roll with the putter..

bs44

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »

Nice!
Because the approach shots are super tight, playing with no wind can change your scorecard dramatically.

bs44

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 07:40:34 AM »
Thanks Man. Yeah just got on a roll with the putter..

Just shot a 60 ddennis265... it's on!  ;D

ddennis265

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
Just shot a 60 ddennis265... it's on!  ;D
[/quote]

Haha.. Nice round.. I'll see what I can do later tonight after work gonna have to go sub 60 now.. Impressive..

bs44

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 02:37:26 AM »
Started another game but may not finish it tonight,too many beers.Off to a good start.

Any luck with the rest of the round Gerardfraser ?

space-cash