Beginning issues - PC Edition

• 7 Replies

Archv6625

« on: December 02, 2014, 12:20:44 PM »
I've watched the tutorials and got an idea of how to use the course designer, but the tutorials are almost exclusively from the modify one of the existing random setup point of view.

I'm trying to recreate my home course and running into some early issues and would love suggestions.

How do you adjust the shape of the green after the base shape has been added?  For example, if I add an oval shaped green and want to remove a small portion of it along the edge, how can that be done?  I can't just lay fairway on top of it because of the layer hierarchy.

Speaking of the layer hierarchy, I can't always get the fairway and rough widths to 0 at the same time as 0 hazards and green size to 0.  It seems once I set the fairway width to 0, I can't adjust anything else.  Suggestions?

Is there a way to measure distances between objects short of starting a hole and then backing out of it?

And lastly, a simple question.  How do I rotate the brushes on the PC version?  I know its there, I'm just overlooking it surely.

What would be ideal is for a video of someone creating just a single hole from a completely blank slate - preferably a complex one with a double dog leg, bunker, water oddly shaped green, etc.  I'm just not the person to create it.

Thanks!

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »
Start with a very small green and add patches until you reach the form you want.

Layer hirarchy is: Heavyrough, Rough, Fairway, Green, Bunkers from bottom to top. To 0 them start bottom up.

There is no messuring tool atm. But you can use T-box or Green by temporary moveing it. Or.. the length of the 1st clubhouse to pop up when adding buildings is 28y.

Ctrl+arrowkeys -> size and rotate brushes.

Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

Archv6625

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »
Thanks! 

Definitely helpful - got the shapes of a hole down nicely.  I'm running into trouble getting a long, smooth slope.  I tried a few methods ri raise the slope and have the elevations more or less correct, but they are very nice, pretty rolling hills.  My course isn't one that has nice pretty rolling hills.  Its a constant slope from the bottom of the fairway to the green.

Essentially, what I'd like to do is set the flatten tool to match the slope and click the button and have it smooth the bumps but maintain the elevation.  Is there a way to do that?  as I've tried to use it, the flatten tool, even when using the very dithered shapes, causes an unwanted elevation increase in another location when I use it.

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »
For things like that i use the round brush (2 left from default) and lots of patience.........
Chris

Archv6625

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:16:03 PM »
Thanks - That helps!

Is there a way to scale the size of trees?  My course has a number of immature pine trees and the pines in the autumn theme are all too large/mature.

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:07 PM »
Ctrl + up/down key. Within limits, just no rotation.
Chris

Archv6625

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
It worked, but they didn't go quite small enough, so I used bushes to approximate the trees.

Next question - I didn't raise my course high enough to clear the unity 0 plane for the water.  Is there a way to globally lift the entire course without otherwise affecting elevation/objects?  Alternatively, is there a way to get rid of the water and add fairway/green where it drops below the 0 plane? 

Thanks again.

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 11:16:52 PM »
lifting entire plot: no
Water gets removed when you "localy" lift the terrain using the brushes.
Chris

space-cash