Sharing on the PS4 (instructions)

• 11 Replies

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
As you may or may not know the PS4 is constanly recording your last 20 minutes of gameplay.  This post is an attempt to explain how to utilize the built in features of the PS4 to help you save, edits & share these recordings with others.

The instructions below explain how I do this but it doesn’t mean it’s the best or only way to do it.  If you have an easier or better solution please share it here.  I am currently away from my PS4 but I will do my best to remember all of the correct buttons and descriptions. If I make any mistakes (I will), I can update this post later on when I’m back home.

Also, I don’t use Facebook or Twitter for sharing so there is no info below on that topic, but it is an option.

I hope this is helpful and encourages a few more people to start sharing their gameplay.  I know I would love to see it.

THE “SHARE” BUTTON

Pressing the share buton will bring up the sharing menu on the PS4.  Here you can save screen shots, video clips and stream via Twitch.  I’ll address each of these options one by one and offer my opinion on which is the best option for different scenerios.

SCREEN SHOTS

Simply press the share button while the image you wish to capture is on your display, then press the triangle button. This will save the image to your “Captur Gallery” (more on this later).

When to use: Whenever you need a static image of your screen.  Probably the most popular example would be taking a screen shot of your score card to show everybody how awesome you are. The best use of this feature in my opinion is for taking photos of your created courses. To do this just play your course and during the fly-overs of the hole you want to photograph keep your finger ready to press the share button.  Once the camera gets into the position you desire press the share botton and save the screen shot to you capture gallery.

How to share: This is where it gets a little weird. In order to upload your photos here or host them elsewhere you will need to save the images to USB drive.  Just insert you USB storage device into the PS4, find the image in your capture gallery and select “options” then “transfer to USB”. Then you can transfer from the USB to your CPU where you can re-name, edit, upload, etc.

VIDEO CLIPS

Same process as saving screen shots only you press the square button to save to the capture gallery.

When to use: Whenever you want to save a short video clip (>20 minutes) without commentary. Lets say you just axed a par 3. After you stop jumping around in joy, press the share button and save the video clip.  Remember this will save you last 20 minutes of game play so you will need to edit out the footage you don’t want (more on this later).

Now lets say you want to record a short video clip. Maybe a hole fly-over or a couple hole play-through.  Once you’re ready to start recording press the share button twice.  This will end the current recording and start a fresh 20 minute cycle.  Do what you want to do in less than 20 minutes and press the share button again to stop the recording and save to the capture gallery.

Editing your video clips: I’ve found the best option for editing video clips is in the Playstation Share Factory.  Open up Share Factory, start a new project, select your video, give it a title, clip out the parts you don’t want and save to your capture gallery.  From there you can share your video:

Sharing your video clips: So you saved your video clip, edited in Share Factory (if needed) and now you want to share your masterpiece with the community.  The best option for this is to link your YouTube account to your PS4.  After that just find your video clip in the capture gallery and select the option to upload to YouTube.  You will be prompted for your YouTube credentials if you haven’t already linked the account.  You can also transfer your video clips to USB if you want to go that route.
After the video is uploaded to YouTube grab the video link from your YouTube page and post it for the world to see.

STREAMING VIA TWITCH

I believe this to be the best option for sharing video clips with commentary or a video that will exceed 20 minutes.

Getting started: The first step is to set up a Twitch account at Twitch.com. After creating a log-in make sure to edit your profile options to allow auto archiving of your streams.  You will also need to link your YouTube account.  Also, if you plan on uploading video over 15 minute, which is the point here, you will need to verify your YouTube account. Otherwise you will need to break up your videos into 15 minute segments. Google “How to verify your YouTube account” and follow the easy steps.

Once you have your Twitch account set up you are ready to start streaming.  Press the share button and select the share via Twitch option. You will be propted to add your log-in info if you haven’t done so already. Next give the session a title and select your video & audio setting (see tips below).   Press OK and within a couple seconds you are streaming live gameplay on Twitch! Once you are done streaming press the share button and stop the stream.

Sharing your Twitch Videos: Once you have finished streaming, assuming you saved your settings correctly, the video will be auto archived on your twitch page.  From the video manager section on Twitch you have the option to share the video, which will give you a link you can post online.  From here you can also expert the video to YouTube.  Remember if your YouTube account isn’t verified you can only use the “break video in 15 minute clips” option or else it will fail to upload.  It will take a few minutes to upload, then you will receive an email that it was successful. Note, I have had a video fail to upload a few times for no apparently no reason.  If that happens just try again.  It will then take YouTube some time to process, depending on the file size.  Grab the link for the YouTube page and post away.

TWITCH TIPS:

Audio:

If you plan on using audio commentary make sure to slect the “Use PS4 micrphone” option before you sart streaming. 

Adjust the mic sensitivity in the PS4 settings menu.  I cranked mine to 11 because I tend to mumble, but you may need to play around with this until you find the correct level.

In game, turn off (or way down) the commentary, menu music & sound effects.  These will drown out your voice if they are not adjusted.

Video:

I choose the highest setting for this (“Best HD”), but can probably get away with “Best” or even “Good” if you want to keep the file size down for any reason.

Turn off the comments display so the gameplay is in full screen. I use my laptop to view my twitch page and read/respond to comments there.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 02:08:51 AM »
Scarpacci,

Thanks for taking the time to clearly show how to use the Share feature on the PS4 for TGC.  :)

-MERACE

klEinZaubErEr

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »
Scarpacci,

You Sir are a true gentleman - thanks  ;)

Mitchblue

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »
Didn't realize it saved the last 20 minutes .. when I get a good shot I'm like damn I should have recorded. Thanks for the help..
PSN ID:  Mitchrapp29

DFuzz

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 06:37:58 AM »
Really nice guide. Should we/could we get this stickied?
PSN: DFuzz-

The Emerald Golf & Country Club

Nerix

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »
If you have an easier or better solution please share it here.
Great instructions, thx! A few additions, as I use the function quite often.

Screenshots:
First of all I would recommend to change the settings of the share button: one short presss = screenshot, hold it long = go to the share menu. To do that, press the option button after you have pressed share and change the setting. For me, it is much more convenient to take screens this way (especially in fast paced games it needs just a short press, not a long one). The way it is described in the OP (first share, then triangle) is kind of an unnecessary loop.

Regarding sharing screens, I find it more convenient to do it via Twitter. Just post it there, and get the screen link from twitter. Recommendation: change the part "large" of the link to "orig", then you get the full resolution. Disadvantage: the picture is a litte bit more compressed compared to using the USB method.

Example: Twitter Pic https://twitter.com/gamenthusiast/status/557597492536442881/photo/1
Picture with "orig": https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7z79w1IYAIfuny.jpg:orig
Picture with "large": https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7z79w1IYAIfuny.jpg:large

Regarding Editing Video Clips:
Sharefactory is ok for adding different clips together. But if you just have one 15 minute clip (actually it´s 15, not 20), and want to have e.g. 20s from it, you can just use the trim function. Go to the media file in the XMB, press the option button and press trim. After that it is quite self-explanatory.

For some examples, one of my gameplay videos (TGC) created with ShareFactory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6PjJvjmWo
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:32:37 AM by Nerix »

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
Thanks Nerix, good info.

Batman1970

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 07:11:46 PM »
How long does it "normally" take to upload a 15 min clip?
I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer. That's the distance my left ear is from my right. ~Ben Crenshaw

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
How long does it "normally" take to upload a 15 min clip?

I think that would depend on your internet connection.  I'm hardwired and have great upload speeds so it doesn't take long at all.  Maybe 15-20 minutes if I remember correctly.

Nocopilot

• Retired Pilot
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »
Sweeet!
Retired U.S. Army pilot and Vietnam vet.

My Courses:
                   Gila Run
                    Royal Shenanigan Manor

TreeWood

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
Thx very much for the great info - all really clearly explained.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I've never seen any kind of User Manual for TGC on the PS4. Wish this kind of stuff was easily findable.

golfguy247

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
Since this is about the Share function in PS4, I figured I'd ask here - Can you shareplay TGC 2019 or does it give the same errors as TGC 2 did?

Curious to know! Thanks!

space-cash