Fairways

• 31 Replies

Acrilix

« on: February 27, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
The one thing that has caught my eye in a negative way since the beta testers streams/videos is how regular the fairways look. They often look more like roads than fairways, being very linear, and parallel along their lengths. I hope a more irregular fairway effect can be added to the generator in future iterations.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
The one thing that has caught my eye in a negative way since the beta testers streams/videos is how regular the fairways look. They often look more like roads than fairways, being very linear, and parallel along their lengths. I hope a more irregular fairway effect can be added to the generator in future iterations.

I believe that you can do that if you go in and edit. One of the devs sated you can make irregular shaped fairways through the course creator.

Coda1850

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »

This was something that stuck out to me as well.  I couldn't tell if there was a slider, for what I'll call, fairway width conformity.  If there is great.  If not could it be added?*

* & I have no idea if this is easy like a tap in or as difficult as holing out from 250 yrds out.
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

rjn4

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
Also I hope there will be fairway brushes that can be used in order to replicate fairways we see for the courses we play and want to recreate in the game. Essentially the ability to add onto the generated fairways. Is this an option right now or will it be implemented in the future? Thanks HB

Dazmaniac

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »
Yep, it seems the course generator creates the same type of uniform fairway each time.

I think that if folks wan to take the time they can go in and edit further manually and sculpt the greens, bunkers and fairways to give them a more non-uniform appearance and add a little more shape.

sinewiz

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »
Yep, it seems the course generator creates the same type of uniform fairway each time.

I think that if folks wan to take the time they can go in and edit further manually and sculpt the greens, bunkers and fairways to give them a more non-uniform appearance and add a little more shape.

I have to agree. It would seem that the course generator fairway settings could have a little more radomization built in as opposed to the perfectly straight torpedo shapes I'm seeing right now. Yes I know you can go in and edit them. ::)

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »
Out of curiosity what are you guys looking for in other shapes?  I know what we have can't do everything and I'm hoping at some point to add in a tool that uses the brushes where you can add more fairway to what is generated.  I know there are courses where a fairway splits at some points and has rough down the middle or around a rock/obstacle or something or other, we can't really do this yet but hopefully with the new tool that will be possible. 

I'm also hoping to get some options so the fairway can start small and widen (or reverse) based on some slider settings, so you can create a triangle shaped fairway, The Old Course at St. Andrews #2 is what I'm thinking of:

lapman17

• Gamematics
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »
Out of curiosity what are you guys looking for in other shapes?  I know what we have can't do everything and I'm hoping at some point to add in a tool that uses the brushes where you can add more fairway to what is generated.  I know there are courses where a fairway splits at some points and has rough down the middle or around a rock/obstacle or something or other, we can't really do this yet but hopefully with the new tool that will be possible. 

I'm also hoping to get some options so the fairway can start small and widen (or reverse) based on some slider settings, so you can create a triangle shaped fairway, The Old Course at St. Andrews #2 is what I'm thinking of:

That would be cool.  Can you not allow a patch of fairway in the tools?  and we could expand the fairway or manipulate the fairway like we would a bunker?  Laying multiple shapes around the edges?
All I got in this world is my balls and my word......and I don't break em for nobody!

Coda1850

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 02:47:13 PM »

That would be cool.  Can you not allow a patch of fairway in the tools?  and we could expand the fairway or manipulate the fairway like we would a bunker?  Laying multiple shapes around the edges?

...to easily create the shape you show or similar would be great.  Exactly what I'm talking about.
Golf Golf Golf

divtag

• carved a grin
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »
scalable brushes with different shapes that could add/subtract parts of the fairway(and greens),
aka the new tool you mention would be a great addition

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, we want to get that tool in as soon as we can, it basically comes down to how many other issues pop up that are more must fix.  Fingers crossed for early next week but I'm not making any promises. 

The goal is to hopefully find a way to generate a fairway using the sliders and other settings on a per course or per hole basis to make things easy for the novice user, and to allow options (like a brush that you can scale/rotate to create other shapes) that a more serious user will enjoy and doesn't mind spending some time combining a few brushes to make the shape they want.

Anyways, stay tuned.

lapman17

• Gamematics
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, we want to get that tool in as soon as we can, it basically comes down to how many other issues pop up that are more must fix.  Fingers crossed for early next week but I'm not making any promises. 

The goal is to hopefully find a way to generate a fairway using the sliders and other settings on a per course or per hole basis to make things easy for the novice user, and to allow options (like a brush that you can scale/rotate to create other shapes) that a more serious user will enjoy and doesn't mind spending some time combining a few brushes to make the shape they want.

Anyways, stay tuned.
Cool thanks Paul!
All I got in this world is my balls and my word......and I don't break em for nobody!

Nightowl

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 03:14:10 PM »
Great news, Paul.  Thanks.  I'm impressed with the goals you all set for the course generator -- and then how you nailed them.  Nice job!

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
The new tools you are going to add soon or at some point will be just terrific. Can't wait to try this out. Hopefully these new tools will be in the first release.

Thanks Paul

Coda1850

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
Thanks Paul.
Golf Golf Golf

space-cash