Gps

• 58 Replies

wendy445

Gps

« on: January 26, 2015, 12:25:37 PM »
A gps style overhead would be amazing just like a sky caddie etc... We could then play without scout cam and get carry yardages and distances too via the overhead with being able to move the cursor to landing zones etc... Sooo much more like realistic

Ant chance HB?
PSN naywen
Courses created
The suffolk
The Engish rose
THE HEATHLANDS GC
Crow creek gc
Grand Epson ( Thursday to Sunday pins)
TGC @ THE BAVARO
pinelakes country club
Son Gaul

http://www.tgctours.com/

mebby

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »
I feel like this would give too much information and take any sort of sim feeling out of the game.  I like that is vague...

Just my $.02.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

HB_LorinB

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 03:07:16 PM »
We also felt like it is a bit too much to give the exact info.  But that's why we made the overhead (scorecard)...I use the overhead view and figure it out like would on a scorecard and I love it!  Just like you said....so much more realistic.  Have you tried this wendy?

anserman

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »
We also felt like it is a bit too much to give the exact info.  But that's why we made the overhead (scorecard)...I use the overhead view and figure it out like would on a scorecard and I love it!  Just like you said....so much more realistic.  Have you tried this wendy?

But Lorin this isn't realistic and does not reflect modern golf.

Anyone who plays golf a good deal has some sort of technology aid to get distances.  Either a gps device, watch, or a laser based rangefinder.

Not many casual serious golfers look at a scorecard or yardage book anymore...  Tour players do but how do you think those yardage books get laid out?  Laser.

SKREC

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 03:39:06 PM »

Anyone who plays golf a good deal has some sort of technology aid to get distances.  Either a gps device, watch, or a laser based rangefinder.

Not many casual serious golfers look at a scorecard or yardage book anymore...  Tour players do but how do you think those yardage books get laid out?  Laser.

been saying this since early access and I was basically told that I didn't know what I was talking about by many users here (not by HB) and it was pretty much me by myself saying exactly what you just did... so while I agree that we need a gps view (btw I don't know many scorecards that write yardages on them like the game does ie. every 50yds measured from the tee..) good luck getting it implemented..

anserman

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »

been saying this since early access and I was basically told that I didn't know what I was talking about by many users here (not by HB) and it was pretty much me by myself saying exactly what you just did... so while I agree that we need a gps view (btw I don't know many scorecards that write yardages on them like the game does ie. every 50yds measured from the tee..) good luck getting it implemented..

I brought it up earlier too.  I get what they are trying to do... make you have to do the math manually but sorry it just isn't relevant to modern golf.

I bought a $9.00 yardage book the first time I played Bethpage Black... put it in my golf bag then got it out and put it in a drawer in my desk when I got home.  During the rounds I used my skycaddie because I also use it to keep stats and scoring info on EVERY round I play.  The truth is I don't step foot on a golf course without that piece of equipment.

There is no point in trying to do math off an outdated yardage book or using poorly marked sprinklers etc.  The Rules of Golf say I can use it I'm using it.  Golf is hard enough one of the tests of ones game isn't ability to ascertain how far you are away.  That was relevant a long time ago but not now.

SKREC

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:07:33 PM »

I brought it up earlier too.  I get what they are trying to do... make you have to do the math manually but sorry it just isn't relevant to modern golf.

I bought a $9.00 yardage book the first time I played Bethpage Black... put it in my golf bag then got it out and put it in a drawer in my desk when I got home.  During the rounds I used my skycaddie because I also use it to keep stats and scoring info on EVERY round I play.  The truth is I don't step foot on a golf course without that piece of equipment.

There is no point in trying to do math off an outdated yardage book or using poorly marked sprinklers etc.  The Rules of Golf say I can use it I'm using it.  Golf is hard enough one of the tests of ones game isn't ability to ascertain how far you are away.  That was relevant a long time ago but not now.

ditto sir, I have quite the collection of yardage books none of which are ever used its just a keepsake from the course now (have them from every PGA tour used course I've been lucky enough to play), and to go a step further the company I work for here owns 60+ golf courses in Canada and the U.S. and they are in the process of getting rid of paper scorecards/yardage books altogether..

Basically how it works is when you book your tee time your e-mail is given when you arrive at the course and pay your green/cart fee (cart mandatory courses) instead of being handed a paper scorecard, you are given a quick 5-10 min lesson on how to use the Garmin GPS  unit attached to your cart (track your stats, input scores, measure how far you hit that last drive etc..) then after your round you simply return the GPS unit with your cart and staff uploads and e-mails you your stats from the round that day (also available as a printout at the course).

We have it implemented at 25 member clubs and 5 daily fee courses as of last season with the remainder of courses owned by said conglomerate hoping to be rid of paper scorecards by 2016. It's part of the "going for green" initiative and courses are now beginning to see the savings in not printing paper scorecards which are being passed onto the golfer with reduced green fees (if you have your own GPS unit your green fee will be at a reduced rate from those that do not bring their own) not to mention the rate of play has increased allowing for more tee times in a day.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:17:37 PM by SKREC »

anserman

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
We have these

and they are amazing including doing something very cool... they show the distance and location of any other carts in your area.

I rarely ride but when I do I only use the skycaddie for scoring these type of systems are amazing.

SKREC

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 04:46:42 PM »
We have these

and they are amazing including doing something very cool... they show the distance and location of any other carts in your area.

I rarely ride but when I do I only use the skycaddie for scoring these type of systems are amazing.

those are sweet, there has been talk of switching to something more along those lines if the "project" ends up taking off right now they opted for cheaper units to see if it would be viable... but damn that looks like it gives you every little number you could ever want bet it even does swing data and takes beer orders lol

wendy445

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:23 PM »
@ lorin, I have tried using the overhead scorecard but it only gives you implements of fifty yards and it's so hard to determine distances to landing areas... Irl I would be lost without my gps and most golfers would not set foot on a course without one.. Scout cam IMO is easier as you can dial in better, you can actually see where it will land and the contours on the greens. You can't do this IRL.

Ps I still can't putt  :'(
PSN naywen
Courses created
The suffolk
The Engish rose
THE HEATHLANDS GC
Crow creek gc
Grand Epson ( Thursday to Sunday pins)
TGC @ THE BAVARO
pinelakes country club
Son Gaul

http://www.tgctours.com/

anserman

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »
you CAN order foot for the turn lol

or request snack cart girl :)

SKREC

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:57 PM »
you CAN order foot for the turn lol

or request snack cart girl :)

LMAO, ahh what will they come up with next...

anserman

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 07:41:13 PM »
ooops food

not foot :)

HB_LorinB

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »

Yeah, but unlike actual scorecards, the overhead view in the game updates in real time.  So you can see where your ball is on the hole at all times.  So it is basically between a scorecard and a GPS.

@wendy - yeah, it only gives in 50 yard increments, but that should be enough to get you within 5-7 yards of the right number when judging distance.  If you knew the exact yardage....then you might as well use the scout cam, right.  The exact yardage without the scout cam is the same thing as just using the scout cam, isn't it (remembering that when you use the scout cam your not aimed at the center of the screen but anywhere within that area)?

Just to be clear, I am not shutting down your idea...I am just saying these things for discussion purposes (and it is what I personally believe).

anserman

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 09:29:20 PM »

Yeah, but unlike actual scorecards, the overhead view in the game updates in real time.  So you can see where your ball is on the hole at all times.  So it is basically between a scorecard and a GPS.

@wendy - yeah, it only gives in 50 yard increments, but that should be enough to get you within 5-7 yards of the right number when judging distance.  If you knew the exact yardage....then you might as well use the scout cam, right.  The exact yardage without the scout cam is the same thing as just using the scout cam, isn't it (remembering that when you use the scout cam your not aimed at the center of the screen but anywhere within that area)?

Just to be clear, I am not shutting down your idea...I am just saying these things for discussion purposes (and it is what I personally believe).

But the distances remaining are static and do not update as you play the hole.

It's 2015 and if I wanna know I can hit it 184 yards without going into a bunker I should be able to know it.  In real golf this info is readily available and inexpensive and effective and the average golfer uses those devices.

This game is about average golfer :)

space-cash