Gps

• 58 Replies

ajl5313

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »
Having the overhead map view display distance from players position to key things would be superb.

The keys to me is: 

Automatically displaying the distances to key things (water ahead, front/back of green maybe/to hole (obviously))

Really don't want to slow things down more with having to move a cursor around 

I still *really* wish we could have an overhead map view on the main GUI so there's no need to dig around in other view just to get a glance at what's "down there in the distance (water/bunker)"

Zmax

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 05:53:32 PM »
Lorin,

Perhaps you don't know this.   TGC simulator version already has an overhead mini-map feature that can be turned on/off.  But it's not interactive and you can't get any yardages from it.  So, if they(HB) could just add the current ball location, pin, and a cursor, and have it show the yardages that we're requesting in this thread, it would help make the game better and speed up play big time.

Bubba22

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »
Right you are ZMax. Just needs to be interactive.

csugolfer60

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2015, 10:49:43 PM »
I thought I'd chime in here, just to give my two cents.

If you're looking to make the game feel more like real golf, I wouldn't recommend limiting the information available to the golfer playing. From my yardage book and laser, as well as GPS Apps and Google Earth, I am able to find exactly how far it is from any point on the course to any other point, which is important because it's not only the current shot that matters. Planning ahead (so I don't have a half wedge into a tricky green) is just as important as the current shot, so knowing exactly how to measure these things is, in my mind, MORE realistic.

Having ambiguity in the aiming process, and exact precision in the shot process is the opposite of what makes golf fun and strategic.

On the golf course, I pick a very specific point (the limb of a tree, or a patch of grass in the distance, and then execute an imperfect swing to a perfect plan.

In The Golf Club, can only execute an imperfect plan (without all the information I need), but the swing is far too forgiving. This is why you see extremely low scores.

On an average well struck drive, your PGA Tour player carries the ball about 275 yards, and still has about a 6 yard miss on each side if he's trying to hit the ball perfectly straight. So, if you want to bring some strategy into the game, even a perfect swing has about a 12 yard "circle" instead of a pinpoint accuracy to land in.

Imagine if you had to make the choice to hit a driver knowing that even a very well struck shot still has 6-8 yards (generous) variance, just like in real life.

Same for all parts of the game - iron contact, which has distance variance too even on perfect shots, wedge spin, even sand shots and such.

THAT would make it more realistic, and in my opinion fun, because you can plan extremely well, but you have to plan for your misses, which is the thing that makes good golfers  great in real life.
My Courses:

Crawford Mines
Pilansburg Golf Club
The Legacy At Cape Point
Loa Pali Golf Club
TGC Players Club - Stadium
TGC Players Club - Logan Farm
TGC Players Club - Shawnee Creek
Cuyahoga Golf Club
Hidden Links Golf Club
Shawnee Creek Golf Club

ajl5313

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2015, 12:57:50 AM »

If you're looking to make the game feel more like real golf, I wouldn't recommend limiting the information available to the golfer playing. From my yardage book and laser, as well as GPS Apps and Google Earth, I am able to find exactly how far it is from any point on the course to any other point, which is important because it's not only the current shot that matters. Planning ahead (so I don't have a half wedge into a tricky green) is just as important as the current shot, so knowing exactly how to measure these things is, in my mind, MORE realistic.

Having ambiguity in the aiming process, and exact precision in the shot process is the opposite of what makes golf fun and strategic.

On the golf course, I pick a very specific point (the limb of a tree, or a patch of grass in the distance, and then execute an imperfect swing to a perfect plan.

In The Golf Club, can only execute an imperfect plan (without all the information I need), but the swing is far too forgiving. This is why you see extremely low scores.

On an average well struck drive, your PGA Tour player carries the ball about 275 yards, and still has about a 6 yard miss on each side if he's trying to hit the ball perfectly straight. So, if you want to bring some strategy into the game, even a perfect swing has about a 12 yard "circle" instead of a pinpoint accuracy to land in.

Imagine if you had to make the choice to hit a driver knowing that even a very well struck shot still has 6-8 yards (generous) variance, just like in real life.

Same for all parts of the game - iron contact, which has distance variance too even on perfect shots, wedge spin, even sand shots and such.

THAT would make it more realistic, and in my opinion fun, because you can plan extremely well, but you have to plan for your misses, which is the thing that makes good golfers  great in real life.

Totally awesome thoughts.... Agree completely

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 02:54:53 AM »

+1

Would make for a more strategic game and no need to trick courses up to defend against double digit sub par rounds anymore. But it would alienate the arcade straight-shooter club - so why not package this with making the overall swing cone less forgiving, limiting loft adjustments to realistic range and a re-modelled, more realistic and difficult, short game in a optional "pro mode" addition. I would pay for that addition for sure. 

ajl5313

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2015, 11:59:36 AM »

+1

Would make for a more strategic game and no need to trick courses up to defend against double digit sub par rounds anymore. But it would alienate the arcade straight-shooter club - so why not package this with making the overall swing cone less forgiving, limiting loft adjustments to realistic range and a re-modelled, more realistic and difficult, short game in a optional "pro mode" addition. I would pay for that addition for sure.

Totally agree - Would pay for the game all over again, happily, with said additions.

Bubba22

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »
I will add this to the list and talk about it with the big man this week.  Not making any promises :)

Any update on this Lorin? What the guys at suggesting here is really worth while! Very important!

HB_LorinB

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »
Only that I spoke with Anthony about it and he liked the idea.  Very unlikely it will make it in to the next update or the one in May, as those are mostly feature locked at this point, but it is something we will be looking at after that.

Bubba22

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2015, 03:21:53 PM »
Once agin, thanks. If after May, please keep it in mind. I hope you don't mind us reminding you.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 03:25:19 PM »
Not at all :)

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »
With option to turn off please as it is similar to the scout can in making the game easier.

wendy445

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »
I say get rid of scout cam and just use a gps like irl.. Just my opinion
PSN naywen
Courses created
The suffolk
The Engish rose
THE HEATHLANDS GC
Crow creek gc
Grand Epson ( Thursday to Sunday pins)
TGC @ THE BAVARO
pinelakes country club