Some sources/tips for inspiration?

• 18 Replies

Dr. Yeti

• GroupMember
  • Handicap: 10
    • My 2014 Golf Stats (RL)
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »
I'm curious about this, as it is a major factor for trying to grow the game and is something that needs to be addressed...
...lots of text, read it!...
...Feel free to comment on any or all areas.

Thanks for writing this up, I enjoyed it and I wholeheartedly agree.   I have finally accepted that I will never be as good as I would like to be and to stop fussing about bad shots, bad holes, hell even an entire bad round.   I've learned that enjoyment of the nature, the company of my friends, and the focusing on "next shot" are the main things that keep me moving.  I play best when I STOP thinking about my mechanics and just let my muscle memory kick in.  Forgetting that last shot, or that triple bogey from hole 2 is critical in my enjoyment of the game.   If I stew on a bad shot or hole for too long, it just amplifies errors going forward.

In between shots, I often times will totally space out and just take in the course, the little details and think about the designers intentions with placement of certain things (bunkers, slopes, foliage etc), this helps me ignore the past flubs of the round, and get ready for the next shot.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:07:43 PM by Dr. Yeti »

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 05:04:45 PM »
Two key factors factor into me not playing: time & money.
When I used to play, I used to shoot anywhere from 90-105.
To remain at that level or do better, I would need to play regularly.
We just drove past the municipal course near my house last weekend. My wife asked what it costs to play there. I just went online to look to answer her, and it is $40 during the week, $50 weekends. Consider 4-4.5 hrs to play + time before & after, you're looking at 5-6 hours out of a precious Saturday/Sunday. I have no kids, but still weekends are busy, and weekends would be my time to play unless I took vacation days to play during the week. Plus I would have to hit balls in between, a fine weeknight activity I suppose, which is another $7-10.
While I could technically afford all this,  I'd rather spend the time/money elsewhere.
Inconsistent play (and I'm very inconsistent) stresses me out to the point of non-enjoyment.

On the other hand, video game golf is perfect for me.
I can play when it's convenient for me, for practically free. Even with $130 or so spent on TW14+dlc, when you consider the 400+ rounds I've played on that game alone, let alone all the other years' games, it's a drop in the bucket. Seriously, I've played 400+ rounds on that game alone.  30 minutes/round for say 400 rounds is 12000 minutes. So $130 for 200 hrs of enjoyment, and I still play it....
Rounds of TW/HB take 20-30 minutes.
I turn the sound off and the stereo on. 
I have settings set up in a way to shoot 68-75 most of the time.
And I play world class, world renowned courses.
And now with this game, I can create my own course to play.
I guess with these games, I can get my golf fix for a lot less time and money, allowing me the time and money to be spent on other things.

Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Dr. Yeti

• GroupMember
  • Handicap: 10
    • My 2014 Golf Stats (RL)
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 06:10:32 PM »
Other times, views like these make it easy to forget all the troubles and swing away. 

(Hurricane, Utah, USA) (yes, that is me)

Ignoring the obvisouly awesome backdrop,  I really love the bunker work in front of the long, skinny, sideways green.
(Canmore, Alberta, Canada)

I'll likely be building a hole much like this in the recent par 3 challenge.  The river surrounds the green complex on 3 sides, and this is a particularly windy part of the course.
(Lehi, Utah, USA)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:16:54 PM by Dr. Yeti »

Chairman7w

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 06:29:39 PM »
Fantastic post!!!    You have perfectly stated my thoughts on this!!!

Two key factors factor into me not playing: time & money.
When I used to play, I used to shoot anywhere from 90-105.
To remain at that level or do better, I would need to play regularly.
We just drove past the municipal course near my house last weekend. My wife asked what it costs to play there. I just went online to look to answer her, and it is $40 during the week, $50 weekends. Consider 4-4.5 hrs to play + time before & after, you're looking at 5-6 hours out of a precious Saturday/Sunday. I have no kids, but still weekends are busy, and weekends would be my time to play unless I took vacation days to play during the week. Plus I would have to hit balls in between, a fine weeknight activity I suppose, which is another $7-10.
While I could technically afford all this,  I'd rather spend the time/money elsewhere.
Inconsistent play (and I'm very inconsistent) stresses me out to the point of non-enjoyment.

On the other hand, video game golf is perfect for me.
I can play when it's convenient for me, for practically free. Even with $130 or so spent on TW14+dlc, when you consider the 400+ rounds I've played on that game alone, let alone all the other years' games, it's a drop in the bucket. Seriously, I've played 400+ rounds on that game alone.  30 minutes/round for say 400 rounds is 12000 minutes. So $130 for 200 hrs of enjoyment, and I still play it....
Rounds of TW/HB take 20-30 minutes.
I turn the sound off and the stereo on. 
I have settings set up in a way to shoot 68-75 most of the time.
And I play world class, world renowned courses.
And now with this game, I can create my own course to play.
I guess with these games, I can get my golf fix for a lot less time and money, allowing me the time and money to be spent on other things.
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong, and I get on as a looper.  A jock, a caddy..."

space-cash