Windows 10

• 5 Replies

Steve2golf

« on: January 30, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »
It works, not necessarily better then 8 or 7, but it works. I really like that it's basically windows 7 on steroids and they have moved closer to 7 then 8. Looking forward to the later versions moving out of beta and the improvements to come.

On to the game, it's not overly stable, neither was I before with 8.1, so about the same, but as a heads up for the developers, windows 10 installs Directx 12, when I installed this game it went and installed directx 11 without any need. FWIW, I would remove that from the installer, I can see issues with that.
Course(s) Created TGC 2019:
PGA West (Stadium Course)

Cheagles

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Steve! Will pass this along.

Steve2golf

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:36:47 AM »
So yesterday I was getting some really bad performance and game crashes galour, so I started to play with the graphics drivers yet again. Good news at end for now, fingers crossed.

I DDU the amd drivers, and sit and wait for windows to load the basic driver, it does, it did not always, but it does today.

Restart, still have the basic driver and no black screen, more good news.

I install the latest omega from amd site, all goes good.

I restart and no issues. Even the catalyst control pops up, more good news, so I thought I would push the envelope, and do the overclock, pushed it more by jacking the OC the highest it will go, I have a cooler so I'm not worried about cooking it.

Start the game, on low, no crash, starts fast. So I start and play a hole on medium, no lag, no crash, crystal clear. So I do something I have not been able to do for what seems like an eternity, I fire up high. Game starts fast, Play a hole, no lag, no jitter, game looks beautiful as well, plays amazing.

I'm fairly certain I did all, except OC the card, this several times before as it is pretty basic way to fix graphics issues, but today is a very good day indeed.

Steve2golf

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
And now it's finally history, what a trec to get windows 8.1 pro back on.

Had 10 running pretty good, looked great, love the new start menu and suddenly it came to a screeching halt, not only is it bad, it wants to fry the computer, for a few hours I thought it had.

If anyone is thinking of windows ten test, don't, I'm going to wait for full release and later, maybe sp2.

The Headhunter

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:36:27 PM »
I was about to sign up for the Win 10 preview a few weeks ago.  Then I read their disclaimer about how it could possibly damage your equipment so I said forget it.  I had still been thinking about it but I think your story just confirms I ought to wait.  Although if it fried my laptop, that would help me justify putting together a gaming desktop.    >:-)
My latest courses:
Par 3 Tournament Course at Hunter Meadows
Devil's Whisper
Golf Club at Hunter Meadows
Durham Springs

Steve2golf

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 12:12:47 AM »
I was about to sign up for the Win 10 preview a few weeks ago.  Then I read their disclaimer about how it could possibly damage your equipment so I said forget it.  I had still been thinking about it but I think your story just confirms I ought to wait.  Although if it fried my laptop, that would help me justify putting together a gaming desktop.    >:-)

Glad I could help, only way to get things going again was a boot format of the HDD, legacy drivers from bios, and barely made it go, but it seems OK now with 8.1 going from a clean install, time will tell if it did indeed do damage.

space-cash