Brilliant

• 54 Replies

anserman

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »

He said it was his first

And many of us feel just like he does

The idea of playing with non friends isnt appealing in the least

If you ever leave the comfort of your home, you will meet strangers. :)  Part of the fun in golf is going to the first tee as a single and getting paired with complete strangers.

The other night, I joined a 3 some in the PG lobby.  We played the new course Conway Farms.  These guys were strangers to me.  After a couple of holes, it was apparent they were friendly and they were actually talking on Dan's Teamspeak server.  They invited me to join and it was a blast playing and chatting with them for the next 8 or so holes until it got real late and I had to bail.  A couple of them added me to their Steam friend's list and I now have two more PG friends.

That's part of the fun for you but it isn't fun at all for me.  I don't want to spend time looking for balls or having people walk in my through line etc.

I did all that meeting up on first tee thing as a kid... enjoyed it then but not now.  I have a group of about 8 guys who I play golf with and my club has on any given day about 50 rounds played.  That works well for me :)

FRSTDWN

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »
Does the A in ADX stand for agoraphobia?

I am not the most social person ever but golf is about playing with other people. I hate playing golf alone IRL or on a video game. I admit I am a little hesitant to play with people I don't know more so on a video game the IRL because you can not see them so you have no idea what they are about. I would say in golf though you tend to get more mature players then say BF4 or COD. Lot of douches play those game who scream, play music or are racists aholes. Or all of the above lol. The ghost balls work for me but there is nothing like have a close match playing live turn based IMOP.

I have actually made life long friends because of online gaming. Have even played golf with them in real life. Two or three of them I consider very close friends.
XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2109 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

anserman

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 04:33:28 PM »

I am not the most social person ever but golf is about playing with other people. I hate playing golf alone IRL or on a video game. I admit I am a little hesitant to play with people I don't know more so on a video game the IRL because you can not see them so you have no idea what they are about. I would say in golf though you tend to get more mature players then say BF4 or COD. Lot of douches play those game who scream, play music or are racists aholes. Or all of the above lol. The ghost balls work for me but there is nothing like have a close match playing live turn based IMOP.

I have actually made life long friends because of online gaming. Have even played golf with them in real life. Two or three of them I consider very close friends.

To you golf is about playing with other people.

Anyone that plays golf seriously spends a lot of time doing it by themselves either playing or more likely practicing.

ajl5313

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 08:07:42 PM »

Anyone that plays golf seriously spends a lot of time doing it by themselves either playing or more likely practicing.

ADX - you are a very different cat

HB_LorinB

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 08:11:04 AM »

First of all - Thank you formershoeshiner for the awesome kudos. in the OP.

As to the rest of this thread...I really don't get the lack of understanding for ADX's perspective (though I really appreciate they respectful way the discussion is going).

I too prefer to play golf with people I know.  I am a very social person, but I do not particularly like being paired with strangers when playing real life golf.  I find it awkward and distracting.  I would much rather play with people I know or play alone.

And the same goes for gaming online.  There is virtually no chance I would ever game online with total strangers (as in just jump in to a lobby and chat with people).  I would play with people I know form here, but almost never (or actually never) would I just get online and play with random strangers and, outside of The Golf Club, I almost exclusively play online game with people I actually know in the real world (though I do play with a few that I have not physically, but whom I met through other friends).

I feel like this is pretty close to what ADX is saying and I just don't think this is, in the least bit, odd.

We all have different ways in which we like to interact and I don't think what ADX is describing is all that uncommon or "different" from many others out there...and it is certainly nowhere near agoraphobic.?

anserman

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »
Lorin you get it but I actually am more commenting on REAL golf... I'm in the 1% of amateur golfers from an ability standpoint so no I do not share much with the other 99% in terms of how I want golf to take place nor what it takes to get there.

For instance... how many folks in this discussion will hit bunker shots for 3 hours?

I'm guessing me lol and the very nature of that means that you don't really have social time during something like that.

Doesn't make me superior just means I work at it more... golf is NOT for yucks and good times it's what I do and I take it seriously and have since I was about 13.  To be good at it you have to.  I got in a debate that there are no natural golfers and I stick by it... to be scratch or better takes obscene amounts of sweat equity... nobody does that socially and nobody just does it because they were good at it.  The best player of this generation is losing his game in front of our very eyes... it's not because of his back people it's because he doesn't practice like he used to.  The back is just a convenient excuse. 

So to say "golf is about playing with other people" is a statement that is about the same as "the sky is pink" in my eyes.  Golf allowed me to stand out from other people which is what I loved about it.

To suggest I have some sort of social disorder because I don't have any desire to play with random people I've never interacted with?  equally as puzzling.

I ran a golf store for 5 years... obviously that was a VERY social experience and one that taught me for the most part... golfers SUCK lol  they're cheap, selfish, feel like you owe them everything for 5% over cost just because.  They do things to demo golf clubs you can't even IMAGINE while they're at the range being "social" with their buddies seeing who can hit more balls over the net or steal the most range balls in one sitting.  I once had a guy bargain with me on the price of a bucket of range balls...

so I basically just assume that random people that play computer golf are likely these people so no... I do not want to spend 30 minutes or more playing over the internet as if it somehow makes us real friends :)

There are people here who I wish I WERE real friends with... mainly some of the better designers because I appreciate their skill or some of the better players.  You can ask JimGem or Reeb or anyone else if I am in any way shape or form boorish when we chat about the game and I think he'd tell you no.

I just don't need that with everyone :)

So thanks for seeing it from my side Lorin but if the group wants to throw rocks at the weirdo I'm a big feller I can take it :)  I may even pick a few up and throw em back lol

OR

I AM a nut job but so is Lorin obviously!

:)

HB_LorinB

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 10:54:54 AM »
lol...

well I am certainly not in the 1%....and that echelon of golfing does call for a different relationship to the sport for sure (as you described...thousands of hours)...I wish I were....

anserman

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 10:57:27 AM »
lol...

well I am certainly not in the 1%....and that echelon of golfing does call for a different relationship to the sport for sure (as you described...thousands of hours)...I wish I were....

You can be the price of admission is at least 4 hours a day every day

when you have calouses on your hands so thick you can't feel anything there... you're in! :)

FRSTDWN

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 11:32:57 AM »

As to the rest of this thread...I really don't get the lack of understanding for ADX's perspective (though I really appreciate they respectful way the discussion is going).

I too prefer to play golf with people I know.  I am a very social person, but I do not particularly like being paired with strangers when playing real life golf.  I find it awkward and distracting.  I would much rather play with people I know or play alone.

And the same goes for gaming online.  There is virtually no chance I would ever game online with total strangers (as in just jump in to a lobby and chat with people).  I would play with people I know form here, but almost never (or actually never) would I just get online and play with random strangers and, outside of The Golf Club, I almost exclusively play online game with people I actually know in the real world (though I do play with a few that I have not physically, but whom I met through other friends).

I feel like this is pretty close to what ADX is saying and I just don't think this is, in the least bit, odd.

We all have different ways in which we like to interact and I don't think what ADX is describing is all that uncommon or "different" from many others out there...and it is certainly nowhere near agoraphobic.?

Obviously I was kidding about him being agoraphobic. I think anyone who plays golf rather play with people they know vs some random person. Most people like to play with people in their skill set and they are honest. That is what I look for anyways.

@ADX

All I meant is golf is about competition against other people. Why would you practice for 4 hours a day if it was not to be better then other PEOPLE. It is like if you got a hole in one and you were alone. Yea you got a hole in one but no one saw it. Kinda like whipped cream on dog poop.

As far as playing online with people I don't get what the big deal is. You don't have to use a mic you can quit if you don't like them etc.... You and lorin must not play FPS because there is no way to know everyone in a 64 man conquest game on BF4.

To  be honest I don't even really like people that much. I don't know either of you at all nor do I care if I ever do get to know you. I just want to be able to compete against people while playing TGC on a LIVE MP that has us playing the same way. As of now when I play the ghost balls I have no idea how they are playing. A lot of time we are on the same course but we are not playing the same game. One good thing that would come out of a lobby system is HB would have to come up with difficulty settings for us to play on so the game is balanced. It bothers me a little when I get those messages saying someone beat my score when I guarantee they are not playing the same way as I am.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Zmax

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 11:37:36 AM »

I'm a serious golfer and hate playing alone.  I will go to the practice facility by myself but I want to play with somebody, either with my friends or get paired up with other people.  I play better when I'm paired with somebody.  I feel the same with simulator golf.  Different strokes for different folks. 

We're all strangers at the beginning.  The lobby will make it easy to make friends.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 11:39:28 AM by Zmax »

anserman

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 11:46:27 AM »

Obviously I was kidding about him being agoraphobic. I think anyone who plays golf rather play with people they know vs some random person. Most people like to play with people in their skill set and they are honest. That is what I look for anyways.

@ADX

All I meant is golf is about competition against other people. Why would you practice for 4 hours a day if it was not to be better then other PEOPLE. It is like if you got a hole in one and you were alone. Yea you got a hole in one but no one saw it. Kinda like whipped cream on dog poop.

As far as playing online with people I don't get what the big deal is. You don't have to use a mic you can quit if you don't like them etc.... You and lorin must not play FPS because there is no way to know everyone in a 64 man conquest game on BF4.

To  be honest I don't even really like people that much. I don't know either of you at all nor do I care if I ever do get to know you. I just want to be able to compete against people while playing TGC on a LIVE MP that has us playing the same way. As of now when I play the ghost balls I have no idea how they are playing. A lot of time we are on the same course but we are not playing the same game. One good thing that would come out of a lobby system is HB would have to come up with difficulty settings for us to play on so the game is balanced. It bothers me a little when I get those messages saying someone beat my score when I guarantee they are not playing the same way as I am.

sigh

to YOU golf is about competition against other people

To me it's against the course every day I step on it.

Maybe, just maybe, people have different things they take from golf?   :o

You've mentioned you get bothered knowing someone beat you even tho you may play grids off... they still beat you and nobody made you play that way.  Instead realize YOU like to play that way just like I play golf to compete against the course.

So if you wanna truly play against them put the grids back on and do it... every course has records posted on it.  Go tee it up against those... a person shot those scores :)

Join tgc tours... more comp against people!

HB_LorinB

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »

I have put over 300 hours in to BF3 and BF4 (and BFBC and BFBC2 and Titanfall, CSGO, Payday, Red Orchestra, Day Z,...blah, blah, blah).  I play with strangers all the time (that doesn't sound right).  What I meant was playing with and chatting.

Also, don't undersell the value of dog poop with whipped cream on it :)

FRSTDWN

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »

@ADX

sigh

to YOU golf is about competition against other people

To me it's against the course every day I step on it.

Maybe, just maybe, people have different things they take from golf?   :o

You've mentioned you get bothered knowing someone beat you even tho you may play grids off... they still beat you and nobody made you play that way.  Instead realize YOU like to play that way just like I play golf to compete against the course.

So if you wanna truly play against them put the grids back on and do it... every course has records posted on it.  Go tee it up against those... a person shot those scores :)

Join tgc tours... more comp against people!

AS of now there is no way to know what other have their settings on unless I play like you said in a tour or a tournament. I dont play in those because most are on default settings. I find that boring and why bother when they shoot 18 under. I don't get the fun it that.

I get what you are saying and I love golf way more for what it does for my physical and mental health then the competition aspect of it. I have spent many many hours on a range in my life and take the game seriously I just think playing with other people makes the game more fun. It is kinda like drinking. Most agree have a some beers with your friends and talking **** is more fun then drinking alone. Like I said before I am not a huge fan of the human race and sometimes I like nothing more then going down to my man cave and cracking open a bottle of JD and playing some BF4 or TGC. The best part is I can turn it off and walk away whenever I want.

I actually like how you are very direct. You seem like a honest guy and tell it like it is. I think there is nothing better than that in life. It makes life so much easier when people are honest. Unfortunately most people are full of ****. We would probably get along in the real world. Although you would kick my ass in golf.
XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

FRSTDWN

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »

I have put over 300 hours in to BF3 and BF4 (and BFBC and BFBC2 and Titanfall, CSGO, Payday, Red Orchestra, Day Z,...blah, blah, blah).  I play with strangers all the time (that doesn't sound right).  What I meant was playing with and chatting.

Also, don't undersell the value of dog poop with whipped cream on it :)

Haha I hope that does not mean you have tried it? You lose a bet?
XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 05:56:59 PM »
   Thanks Lorin. I guess my point was  (I am ignorant about online play in general) what does a lobby system actually bring, other than being able to be paired with random strangers? I play mostly alone, but was curious about playing with others. I friended a few people from these forums that stated they play together. I was almost instantly invited to a ps4 party chat. It was very enjoyable playing with others. I was hesitant at first because I assumed people played turn enabled. I had and have no desire to watch others play and triple the time to play a round.
   I was thrilled to find ghost balls flying all over and able to play at my own pace, while chatting with others. It was a very enjoyable way to play, one that I will do again soon. It's a brilliant system perfectly suited for someone like myself. I respect other people for their desire to play with "strangers", its simply not my cup of tea.
"We don't see that on our end"

space-cash