Brilliant

• 54 Replies

HB_LorinB

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 05:59:35 PM »
It gives you the ability to play with people without having to Friend them and it would make the multiplayer real-time...so you would see you companions swing exactly as it is happening.  It also gives those who are interested the ability to jump online and just play with someone randomly, as you have mentioned.

bob5453

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 06:03:08 PM »
It gives you the ability to play with people without having to Friend them and it would make the multiplayer real-time...so you would see you companions swing exactly as it is happening.  It also gives those who are interested the ability to jump online and just play with someone randomly, as you have mentioned.

Sounds Brilliant! :)
My TGC 2019 courses
Enchanted Mountain 2019
Enchanted Mountain 2019
Roy Rogers Happy Trails 2019
Gilligan's Island Par 3 2019
The Big Valley 2019

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »
   Thanks Lorin. I guess my point was  (I am ignorant about online play in general) what does a lobby system actually bring, other than being able to be paired with random strangers? I play mostly alone, but was curious about playing with others. I friended a few people from these forums that stated they play together. I was almost instantly invited to a ps4 party chat. It was very enjoyable playing with others. I was hesitant at first because I assumed people played turn enabled. I had and have no desire to watch others play and triple the time to play a round.
   I was thrilled to find ghost balls flying all over and able to play at my own pace, while chatting with others. It was a very enjoyable way to play, one that I will do again soon. It's a brilliant system perfectly suited for someone like myself. I respect other people for their desire to play with "strangers", its simply not my cup of tea.

Let me answer to the best of my ability what a lobby would bring as opposed to the current turn based or ghost system

1. You will see the shots as they happened.   Real time.   So reactions if chatting will be timed with the actual goings on within the game... This is great when you're playing a round and either watching your opponent or even ghost balls..

2.  A lobby will show you the correct shot.  So if you're friend makes a hole in one you will see it as it happened... In TGC's turn based you see the incorrect result of the ball path very often.

3.  In a lobby, there are typically many game mode options such as,  skins,  alternate shot,  best ball ETC..  You can typically setup the parameters of the game you want to play and then message your friends to join..    So playing alternate shot with a group of people is real time and a piece of cake.

4. A lobby also gives you a place to meet up with with other players who are looking to play live when you want to play live.   Sometimes playing with strangers isn't so bad, there is always opportunities to meet some opponents to add to your friend list.

Basically the big difference though is just the fact that a lobby is live and in real time, that is the big difference from my experience..  If you're not chatting with people, or you don't care about playing live with friends very often then a lobby most likely won't be for you.    If you enjoy a round with friends then a lobby is a must and something every golf game besides the golf club comes standard with...
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

DDawg Jensen

• GroupMember
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
As far as playing online with people I don't get what the big deal is. You don't have to use a mic you can quit if you don't like them etc.... You and lorin must not play FPS because there is no way to know everyone in a 64 man conquest game on BF4.

I have put over 300 hours in to BF3 and BF4 (and BFBC and BFBC2 and Titanfall, CSGO, Payday, Red Orchestra, Day Z,...blah, blah, blah).  I play with strangers all the time (that doesn't sound right).  What I meant was playing with and chatting.

Also, don't undersell the value of dog poop with whipped cream on it :)
You mean like making a 40 foot snake of a putt, for a triple boogie. .. type of whip creme?
2019 Courses:
Isles of Delirium
TGC East Hampton
Mein-Notchurs Golf Club

HoLee PhuCyn Golf Club
El Dorado Hills Golf Club
Stanislaus County Country Club
Calaveras Oaks Golf Links
Hylandia Falls Golf Links
Windsong Shores Golf Sanitarium

Coming Soon:
?

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 03:56:53 AM »
Why not do something slightly unique with this. A "tee-time" system for online players so when you "arrive" at a course you can match up with other players at that course? Still a "lobby system" but split by course and not global game set up. Just a twist on the lobby set up, but more in line with this games feeling?

anserman

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 08:40:15 AM »
Why not do something slightly unique with this. A "tee-time" system for online players so when you "arrive" at a course you can match up with other players at that course? Still a "lobby system" but split by course and not global game set up. Just a twist on the lobby set up, but more in line with this games feeling?

That would really fracture it up since there are so many great courses

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »
   Thanks Lorin. I guess my point was  (I am ignorant about online play in general) what does a lobby system actually bring, other than being able to be paired with random strangers? I play mostly alone, but was curious about playing with others. I friended a few people from these forums that stated they play together. I was almost instantly invited to a ps4 party chat. It was very enjoyable playing with others. I was hesitant at first because I assumed people played turn enabled. I had and have no desire to watch others play and triple the time to play a round.
   I was thrilled to find ghost balls flying all over and able to play at my own pace, while chatting with others. It was a very enjoyable way to play, one that I will do again soon. It's a brilliant system perfectly suited for someone like myself. I respect other people for their desire to play with "strangers", its simply not my cup of tea.

I prefer to play MP in the same manner as you do.  The current system of MP in TGC does allow us to meet new people and play with "strangers" via requesting them to be "friended" first.  If you get enough "friends" there is almost always someone online at most times of the day that you can play a MP round with (at least on the PS4).

I'd like to send you a friend request.  What's your PSN name?

-MERACE

ajl5313

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »

I prefer to play MP in the same manner as you do.  The current system of MP in TGC does allow us to meet new people and play with "strangers" via requesting them to be "friended" first.  If you get enough "friends" there is almost always someone online at most times of the day that you can play a MP round with (at least on the PS4).

I'd like to send you a friend request.  What's your PSN name?

-MERACE

Problem there is many people don't want people you play golf with to also always be your PS4 (or Steam on PC) "Friends".

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 06:11:27 PM »
   Thank you all for your responses, I understand the differences a lot better now. I am very satisfied with the current system, but understand now why people would like to also have a lobby system.
   I already have you as a friend Merace....thank you :-*
"We don't see that on our end"

FRSTDWN

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
If you really think about it HB really did a good job with being able to play people online without all the BS that goes with it. There is a lot that goes with playing people live. So in that respect they have done an excellent job. I played last night and my youngest is sick so I had to come up from the basement a couple times and help my wife. That is awesome to be able to do. I played three rounds at my own pace and had a ton fun playing them. Being old school live turn based player it has taken me some time to warm up to this concept but I really am getting to like it a lot. I think the best part is I don't have to depend on other people to have a good match online. This for me is the best part of it. So sick of having to wait for "friends" who never show up or hide offline. I can just get on and play. Is it perfect heck no, but if HB vison was to make a MP without the drama that humans bring to it they have accomplished their goal.

That being said the old school part still thinks a live turn based MP lobby is needed with a golf game. It does help grow the community and there is nothing better then the pressure of live play IF you have a quality opponent.

RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2109 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »
I agree,  HBS has done a wonderful job with at least getting turn based into the game for the people that wanted it.   I've been very outspoken in regards to a lobby, but that is only because I want to share this game with others real time with more modes of play.   For me,  I feel like this will keep the game fresh and fun!    I will be honest,   I love the game,   and one of the things I like is one day playing some rounds and another day working on a course...      The only thing at this point that is missing for me,  the most important thing is typical game modes and a lobby.   I'm not to keen on the career mode thing because that is just something else to keep me secluded from enjoying live rounds.
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Opulent Peaks CC

FRSTDWN

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
Yea we are in the same camp. I hate playing offline. everytime I think about playing offline I think about all those stupid characters we had to beat in tiger to level up. Then they had baby tiger lol. It was so annoying to have to build up your guy offline.  Then the offline career mode they had that catch up AI so if you shot say 6 under then tiger would all of sudden catch up to you lol. I get it though people like to play offline and that is fine. I think if HB put the time into the lobby system like they have with the ghost ball system they may be able to pull off the ultimate golf game. That is from a guy who is playing it on 720p haha.

I am dying to hit a real golf ball. This winter has been brutal. So sick of it.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
Yea we are in the same camp. I hate playing offline. everytime I think about playing offline I think about all those stupid characters we had to beat in tiger to level up. Then they had baby tiger lol. It was so annoying to have to build up your guy offline.  Then the offline career mode they had that catch up AI so if you shot say 6 under then tiger would all of sudden catch up to you lol. I get it though people like to play offline and that is fine. I think if HB put the time into the lobby system like they have with the ghost ball system they may be able to pull off the ultimate golf game. That is from a guy who is playing it on 720p haha.

I am dying to hit a real golf ball. This winter has been brutal. So sick of it.

I feel ya man..  Yeah,  I go to driving range with my song but rarely play real golf..   I actually prefer video golf.. LOL     I love watching it on tv though,   I have my dvr set to auto record everythig LPGA,  PGA, and Euro.
My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Opulent Peaks CC

Coda1850

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »
Play it your way, if it's already set up for that.
The game doesn't currently have a setting for me but it is a great game.

I lose either way, (eventually).  Right now I play the standard settings... don't mind that while I learn the nuances of the game.  When I get bored I'll strip away crutches.  The game might have new life - what a plus.  But, too bad I lose the ability to "play" against people.  They're not playing the same game.  There is no leaderboard for a custom set up.

(just read through from the beginning, that was an interesting read)
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

FRSTDWN

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
Yea what I find is most people use the default settings which is fine and I am able to compete with them. I think the no zoom to aim is probably the setting that makes the most impact on your score. Obviusoly the no grid would as well but IMOP there is not enough info to play without the grid. It is a lot of guessing. I have played ghosts of guys who I know I are playing with no grid ( while I have mine on) and you can see a bunch of times they are not even aim the right way. Not saying you always get the breaks right IRL but without above below feet to me it is just a guessing game. The other two would be the wind and the no club preset club selection. It has been a while but I think if you have the club selection on it sets your putter up for you.

I can shoot 5-8 under or blow and shoot in the high 70s. So for me the way I have it works for me.

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

space-cash