Would anyone be interested in a Green Grid only Tour for PC?

• 10 Replies

Matt10

• GroupMember
    • http://www.tgctours.com/Tour/Signup?tourId=5
« on: February 16, 2015, 01:40:39 AM »
I'm not sure if it's possible to set this up. But I have been meaning to start a tour where it's all aides off except for the green grid.

I have a dedicated server and website that I can turn into the homepage for the tour. Could work if enough are interested?

Thanks!

Matt10
Founder/Admin of True Sim Tour on tgctours
Join today - http://www.tgctours.com/Tour/Signup?tourId=5
No Aids, Realistic Scoring, Real GOLF

McBogga

• GroupMember

Matt10

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 03:16:42 AM »
Lose the grid as well and I'm in...

Man, I know you'll enjoy it. I think the grid will just help green reading since the scout cam will be off. It's still hard to execute putts. Will allow course selection to play a bigger role.

I also think the more participants, the more we can get a good average. I just don't want to see ridiculous low scoring numbers on tour.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 05:55:39 AM »
Yeah, but I found that you can swing the putting cam around as well. Not as free as teh Scout cam, but more than enough to get a read. Just press R3 to get control over it...

As soon as grid comes on we start draining long puts and get ridiculous make percentages inside of 15 feet.

Its your tournament though - count me in no matter what you decide. I just have to take every chance to lobby for some hard core play!

Be aware also that Doyley tried this sort of thing before his TGCT fame and it didnt work out. But maybe more players are ready to lose the training wheels now.

Matt10

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »
Yeah, but I found that you can swing the putting cam around as well. Not as free as teh Scout cam, but more than enough to get a read. Just press R3 to get control over it...

As soon as grid comes on we start draining long puts and get ridiculous make percentages inside of 15 feet.

Its your tournament though - count me in no matter what you decide. I just have to take every chance to lobby for some hard core play!

Be aware also that Doyley tried this sort of thing before his TGCT fame and it didnt work out. But maybe more players are ready to lose the training wheels now.

Oh I didn't know that you can swing the putting cam around. But do you need to enable an aide to make it work? Or is it just R3 (ps3 controller)?

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:21 PM »
I could do it in the "No training wheels" tournament - so should be OK with asissts off.

Steve2golf

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »
I could do it in the "No training wheels" tournament - so should be OK with asissts off.
Just played the first 2 of the no training wheels, got to say every time I go down that road, it is fun except for the whacky putting. I would be very interested in all aids off but the green grid.

It would be good if there was something in between off and on, like maybe 1 but much bigger, showing the break every 10 feet or more maybe.

To take the game and remove putting as part of it for me, just loses something for me. I find I just start hitting them all straight unless some ghost gives me an idea of the break. I find that part incredibly boring and not at all frustrating as I have no idea what the break is. It could be an 8 foot with 4 feet of break, it still looks flat to me.

I can live with all the other aids off, that's fun, that's challenging, but then to start putting is silly to me. I whack the first putt straight and long, get a read hit 2nd one in, sorry but that is so boring.

I have always said I would be ok with it, but find it really silly when I play 3 feet of break and it breaks 8 feet the other way, that just does not happen at all in RL and is not at all realistic.

But I get what some are trying to do, if you left the green grid on the scores lower significantly, so at that point you may as well just leave them all on.

HBS needs another no green grid option, one that is not so precise, but someone could at least get an idea if it breaks right or left. Yeah I know move the aiming marker around look for elevation changes.
Course(s) Created TGC 2019:
PGA West (Stadium Course)

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 12:39:16 PM »
i say keep the grid and i'll def play...simply cannot read minor breaks with my settings at the moment....irl i can read every break, wheher i read them right is another matter buit i can at least always read them, here i got no chance...grid on please!

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german

leslie.sangster

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »
HB could put a grid on but don't have the dots moving you might be able to see some of the breaks then. Maybe make the lines finer or make the mower lines more noticeable so the break can be read

Sent from my iPad

leslie.sangster

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 03:56:51 AM »
Matt I don't see what the problem is with your no grids tour yeah some of us might complain about the tougher putting tracks but we will bitch about all sorts at times.  As long as we're not asked to play some of the U.S. Open designed courses and their extreme sloping greens.
The more people on the tour as well the more work your will have to do, if everyone that signed up played every week that would still be a substantial field.
I personally think TGCTours is starting to get a bit unwieldy now as more and more players sign up.

Sent from my iPad

space-cash