John's awesome commentary

• 29 Replies

Antiparosjez

« on: March 08, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »
Just to say how much commentary enhances my enjoyment of playing and it's really clever how you do it. A couple of small gripes (and no idea what you do about it) I often like to bounce the ball into the green, especially on faster courses, and always get the 'did you get all of that' etc. additionally i feel one of the hardest parts of the game is the long lag putt and whilst occasionally there's the 'good putt though' it's more often than not 'wanted excellent, and it wasn't' when I'm wanting you to say well done for my long lag putt.
Anyway, still playing the game way too much than is healthy and John I'd be honoured if you'd have a casualround on my Saxon Weald course sometime.
Power Station Grendel Woods The Pier Sandyhurst Lakes North Kernow, Chart Lakes, West Foreland Elysium Park, White Mountain, Easter Bay, White Rocks,Stour Manor, Samphire Golf Links, The Estate, Romney Harbour, Kingston Park, Gull Rock, City Park, Mullion Cliffs, Wealden Forest, Brookland Marshes

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:58:54 PM »
   I enjoy the commentary very much as well, always play with it on. I never get tired of it personally....very well done. Any sports game will get repetitive as much as we play this, not much you can do about it if it bothers you other than turn it off.
"We don't see that on our end"

Chairman7w

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »

I enjoy the commentary very much as well, always play with it on. I never get tired of it personally....very well done. Any sports game will get repetitive as much as we play this, not much you can do about it if it bothers you other than turn it off.

Me, too my non-shoe-shining friend.  I think it strikes a great balance of casualness, emotion, humor and accuracy.  Very, very, well done. 
"So I jump ship in Hong Kong, and I get on as a looper.  A jock, a caddy..."

Antiparosjez

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
Yep, completely agree
Power Station Grendel Woods The Pier Sandyhurst Lakes North Kernow, Chart Lakes, West Foreland Elysium Park, White Mountain, Easter Bay, White Rocks,Stour Manor, Samphire Golf Links, The Estate, Romney Harbour, Kingston Park, Gull Rock, City Park, Mullion Cliffs, Wealden Forest, Brookland Marshes

smoknpirate

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:29:09 PM »
It may be the best sports game commentary. As many hours that I've poured into playing this game and I've never considered turning it off. Very well done.
My best courses

-Tanami Desert Links
-El Tesoro Piratas Golf Club
-William's Landing
-BlackBird Creek Golf Links
-TPC Carolina
-Spanish Oaks Golf Club
-Harbour Pointe
-TideWater Plantation

JohnM HB

• golf-beta
  • Senior Audio Designer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
Just to say how much commentary enhances my enjoyment of playing and it's really clever how you do it. A couple of small gripes (and no idea what you do about it) I often like to bounce the ball into the green, especially on faster courses, and always get the 'did you get all of that' etc. additionally i feel one of the hardest parts of the game is the long lag putt and whilst occasionally there's the 'good putt though' it's more often than not 'wanted excellent, and it wasn't' when I'm wanting you to say well done for my long lag putt.
Anyway, still playing the game way too much than is healthy and John I'd be honoured if you'd have a casualround on my Saxon Weald course sometime.

Hey Antiparosjez - thanks for the kind words. Your gripes are all valid - I'm working full-time on trying to get the commentary (and the rest of the audio) to sound better and I'll be looking into the shot prediction speech specifically. The last couple months has been filled with recording speech for season mode :) Gotta keep up with the new features as well as improve the old ones - its a fun challenge

I'll be sure to check out Saxon Weald - expecting big things :)

PinHi

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »
I like all his comments - for the one where he says " did you get all of that" sometimes I smile and say to myself "yep you`ll see" It is all good and fits the occasion. Good work! :)

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »
Tappy tap tap.   That's one of my favorites. Also, pro tip.....the grass is supposed to get shorter.  Love that when you go rough to rough.
"We don't see that on our end"

Coda1850

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
Yes, yes, yes.  Is one of my favorites... after one of my birdies.  But it's usually followed up by my wife mocking me saying no, no, no.

More variety would be good.  Throw in some odd-ball commentary too. 

Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

usc_yogi

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »
I like the commentary myself. I would like even more trash talking if I hit a bad shot or a horrible putt to make it more like playing with my real life friends.
PSN: usc_yogi

Imsdale

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »
My favourite comment is "Remember, no matter what other says, you are fantastic!" which fits perfectly after a rather slightly to moderatly dissapointing round of golf.  ;D

crow357

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 05:52:48 PM »
"I can't get em all right, I'm not a computer."

Coda1850

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »
Biggest pisser he throws out is:

"You coulda had a birdie there.  I think you know that".

YEAH JOHN.  I KNOW.   lol
Golf Golf Golf
Hole in 1 count: 3

Duckfreak

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
Wow.

You guys must me masochistic to allow yourself to be punished by that drivel.  :o

DH-NUFC

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 09:16:37 AM »
I wasn't that impressed by the commentary but one time I played and the commentary didn't work. I was completely lost without it! I think we do need variety and also more logic as already mentioned. I'm forever being told that I've hit a good shot only for it to bounce straight into the rough/sand/water! I'd also like to hear more enthusiasm when I hit a 3 wood within a few feet!

space-cash